Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just looked in the mirror - am I relieved!
Just looked in the mirror - am I relieved!
Yes. I thought maybe my face had warped in my sleep... Last night I tried out my new Mirage Quattro FFM for the first time. It worked great for about 4 hours. Then it began to leak ---- loudly ---- and I could not get it to shut up.

But I felt really great about those first 4 hours.

So at 3:00 am, I went back to my faithful nasal mask. "Let's go to sleep now little mask, I'm sorry I dissed on you earlier." But it decided to leak too! No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to behave.

So that left me with only one possibility, and that is my face warped.

But looking in the mirror, it doesn't look a lot different than before, so for me it's back to the basics, back to reading the "how to's" on this board, back to the wonders of "youtube."

The only thing I am assured of at this point, is success.

My mask and I are one.... Estranged for the moment maybe, but nevertheless "one."
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just looked in the mirror - am I relieved!
Hi retired_guy,
I know what you mean, it seems like some nights, your mask just doesn't want to cooperate. No matter what you do, nothing wants to line up right at all. Better luck tonight.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hahahhaha this is soooooooo very true. Just when you think you have it all figured out, and your mask is "just right" boom goes the dynamite! and it starts leaking or whatever, I don't get it either.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
When this happened to me I would have to get up in the middle of the night and wash my face. Oil on the skin was causing the leaks.

That's when I decided to switch to nasal pillows and never looked back.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Usually I will wake up once a night to go to the bathroom and I just remove my chinstrap, "re-seat" the pillows and put the chinstrap on again. Makes my leaks much better.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree. wash face and/or use a spare cushion so you can wash the other one just in case that was part of the problem. sometimes things just go bump in the night (and sometimes in the day)
Post Reply Post Reply
Just from having "adjusted" other, similar things (diving helmets, combat helmets, wrestling headgear etc.) I would also suggest the following:

You may have become used to the "fit" and then are trying to OVER-TIGHTEN to make it feel just as tight as at the beginning or to make (1 of) the two mask feel like the other.

Over-tightening can be as problematic as under-tightening.

Another possibility is that you may have gotten (1 of) the mask out of adjustment (left/right, top/bottom, etc) from the perfect fit you worked to accomplish in the beginning.

If you have tried all the ideas about washing your face and the mask then perhaps a round of daytime (when you are sharp and not in a hurry) re-adjustment and testing is in order.

Another trick I heard was to cut a circle of t-shirt material from an old t-shirt, then cut and CROSS in the interior for you mouth and/or nose (and trim out this area. Put the t-shirt on the mask and the whole thing on your face.

I have no idea if that is BS or not, since I didn't try it but if you are desperate....
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Another suggestion.

Once you have the headgear adjusted just as you like it, use a Sharpie to "mark" the headgear where the Velcro attaches to the headgear. Do that on both the top & bottom straps. Then, if you remove the headgear for cleaning, you will know exactly how much to tighten the headgear.

Yes, after time, the headgear does stretch & you will probably have to re-mark it.

But, it sure saves having to "adjust" the headgear every night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Steven C,
WELCOME! to the forum.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2014, 12:56 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Yes. I thought maybe my face had warped in my sleep... Last night I tried out my new Mirage Quattro FFM for the first time. It worked great for about 4 hours. Then it began to leak ---- loudly ---- and I could not get it to shut up.

But I felt really great about those first 4 hours.

So at 3:00 am, I went back to my faithful nasal mask. "Let's go to sleep now little mask, I'm sorry I dissed on you earlier." But it decided to leak too! No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to behave.

So that left me with only one possibility, and that is my face warped.

But looking in the mirror, it doesn't look a lot different than before, so for me it's back to the basics, back to reading the "how to's" on this board, back to the wonders of "youtube."

The only thing I am assured of at this point, is success.

My mask and I are one.... Estranged for the moment maybe, but nevertheless "one."

I make a great sugar and sea salt body scrub that I use in the shower each night to thoroughly cleansed my skin, I use it on my face too. So far my leaks are like 3-4L each night. I have two nasal masks I alternate them each night. I wash daily and air dry. So far no problems.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What my apnea cure looked like progman 7 199 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: SheShells23
  5 years and never looked at the stats, need advice StephenB 5 347 02-08-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] my results dont mirror others dward1972 9 1,032 04-02-2021, 01:58 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Shattered but relieved. Sleep2Snore 3 1,124 01-18-2018, 10:04 AM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
  Heart Rate Variability - Anyone looked into this? lowT 23 6,347 07-24-2015, 03:38 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.