Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just looking for some thoughts with my CPAP
Just looking for some thoughts with my CPAP
I am new the this forum, I just found it today and decided to sign up. I have been having some difficulties with my current CPAP set up and current sleeping habbits. Just wanted to share and see what others may have to say and/or are going through the same thing. I also just downloaded sleepyhead today. Over the last year my average AHI has been 1.33 with 99% compliance using the mask. Average leak rate has been 4.35, average minimum pressure 9.60-average max 9.6. This makes me believe my CPAP is not on auto.

A little background. I am 22 years old, 6ft tall and about 210 lbs. I have some medical conditions such as sleep apnea and high blood pressure. I had my sleep test done in the winter of 2013 and received my CPAP shortly after that from a home care company. Frankly my sleep doctor and the homecare company are not very helpful with explaining the ins and outs of the machine, just told me to plug it in and go essentially. Ive had a change in insurance over the last year which has made getting new CPAP equipment expensive (the last cushion I bought was through Amazon for half the price, I need to do that again very shortly.)

On big problem I have with my Quattro FX small mask is the seal. It does not wake me up at night when it comes unsealed. It seems I would need to replace the cushion litterally every month to stop this. I have very bad allergies also, for this reason I have been hesitant to try a nasal mask.

Lately I have just been very tired and some nights its taking my a few hours to even fall asleep (probably unrealted to my CPAP). The other day I had some type of fit in the night and I threw my mask off, disconnecting the elbow, I could not find the elbow for the life of me until about an hour ago. So for the past two days I have not slept with my mask and I am finally really feeling the effects of just being tired, my eyes are heavy and I have a head ache.

I am sorry this message is kind of long winded and I appologize if some things are not clear. I justed wanted to post to see if any of you had any input/advice based on your experices dealing with sleep apnea and cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just looking for some thoughts with my CPAP

Hi TJ, it sounds like you're doing pretty well. Congrats to you, as you are a young whipper-snapper, for doing your body the great favor of sticking with this therapy. Lots of the younger folks won't do it because they are "invincible."

You can tell if you have an "auto" cpap or not by looking at the model name on the top of the machine. If it says "autoset," then it's an autoset which has been set to CPAP mode. If it says something else, such as "Elite," then not so much. But you're doing fine regardless, so no big deal.

I think your issues have more to do with sleep position, masking, comfort issues. As you have probably figured out by now, it isn't really a great idea to have a fit in the middle of the night and throw your mask, machine, dog, cat, or whatever across the room. It can be really disruptive to your sleep. So what to do about that?

I'll suggest you investigate a pillows mask. You're not doing bad, but I just think the pillows system might allow for a bit more comfort as you sleep. I would do the Resmed P10 mask, simply because that is the one sooner or later everyone will use. Resistance is futile. But there are others you could use in the meantime. "But I'm a mouth breather?" That's not a problem that cannot be fixed. So look into the P10. I think that would really help you. "But I have trouble breathing through my nose?" Not a problem. The pillows mask will change your life if you have crappy sinuses. For the better even.

...and welcome to the forum!
Post Reply Post Reply
tjm1911 -- I assume your doc has had the talk with you about losing weight.
Your BMI is 28.5; lose it while you're young. The older you get the harder it is to shift.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Note that your Rx for you CPAP supplies is yours and are entitled to a copy of it. In case you need to produce an Rx, all you have to do is send a photocopy of it. As far as I know, the date of the Rx is of no concern.

Taking care of you weight issue will help with your sleep apnea and could help with your hypertension. You have two conditions which are making you a candidate for diabetes.

You are fussing in your sleep. I still do after nearly five years. The mask really isn't the most comfortable thing to wear. Most of the time, it's tolerable and sometimes I take it off and only know that I did after I awake. Like everything else about CPAP sleeping, I've had to develop new habits such as hit the <RAMP> in my sleep if the pressure feels overwhelming.

I use a ResMed Ultra Mirage full face. The forehead bar has an angular adjustment for four positions. I change them it quite frequently when I'm asleep. It's easier than playing with the straps. Part are easy to get.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2015, 12:16 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Hi TJ, it sounds like you're doing pretty well. Congrats to you, as you are a young whipper-snapper, for doing your body the great favor of sticking with this therapy. Lots of the younger folks won't do it because they are "invincible."

You can tell if you have an "auto" cpap or not by looking at the model name on the top of the machine. If it says "autoset," then it's an autoset which has been set to CPAP mode. If it says something else, such as "Elite," then not so much. But you're doing fine regardless, so no big deal.

I think your issues have more to do with sleep position, masking, comfort issues. As you have probably figured out by now, it isn't really a great idea to have a fit in the middle of the night and throw your mask, machine, dog, cat, or whatever across the room. It can be really disruptive to your sleep. So what to do about that?

I'll suggest you investigate a pillows mask. You're not doing bad, but I just think the pillows system might allow for a bit more comfort as you sleep. I would do the Resmed P10 mask, simply because that is the one sooner or later everyone will use. Resistance is futile. But there are others you could use in the meantime. "But I'm a mouth breather?" That's not a problem that cannot be fixed. So look into the P10. I think that would really help you. "But I have trouble breathing through my nose?" Not a problem. The pillows mask will change your life if you have crappy sinuses. For the better even.

...and welcome to the forum!

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I should clarify. When I said fit I actually had a nightmare I suppose. I like woke up threw the mask of went to the rest room and came back and it was all disconnected lol. The first time it has ever happened to me.

See my main concern with trying a nose pillow was due to clogged sinuses. Based on your response that is a non issue and it could actually help them? Ill check out that P10 mask you suggested.

(05-25-2015, 12:43 PM)justMongo Wrote: tjm1911 -- I assume your doc has had the talk with you about losing weight.
Your BMI is 28.5; lose it while you're young. The older you get the harder it is to shift.

Honestly I have not been told by my primary care to lose any weight lol. But I do realize I have to lose weight and ever since college and now having a desk job I have gained some weight. Thanks! I have to get my act together and go for a walk and stop eating so much bread.....
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2015, 01:12 PM)2PAPs Wrote: Note that your Rx for you CPAP supplies is yours and are entitled to a copy of it. In case you need to produce an Rx, all you have to do is send a photocopy of it. As far as I know, the date of the Rx is of no concern.

Taking care of you weight issue will help with your sleep apnea and could help with your hypertension. You have two conditions which are making you a candidate for diabetes.

You are fussing in your sleep. I still do after nearly five years. The mask really isn't the most comfortable thing to wear. Most of the time, it's tolerable and sometimes I take it off and only know that I did after I awake. Like everything else about CPAP sleeping, I've had to develop new habits such as hit the <RAMP> in my sleep if the pressure feels overwhelming.

I use a ResMed Ultra Mirage full face. The forehead bar has an angular adjustment for four positions. I change them it quite frequently when I'm asleep. It's easier than playing with the straps. Part are easy to get.

Yes the unfortunate part is it is impossible to control what you do during your sleep lol. Yes I am young and those two conditions are not working in my favor. I have always had hypertension, both parents have it, and just found out about the apnea 2 years ago. I concur losing weight is a must.

My issue isn't the pressure. Sometimes the mask gets itchy and I just can't get over it. Even if I wash it and wash my face it still sometimes feels itchy and my face gets the red marks also in the AM.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi tjm1911,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try a different type of mask and see ifthat will help.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy and fine tuning it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2015, 01:17 PM)tjm1911 Wrote: See my main concern with trying a nose pillow was due to clogged sinuses. Based on your response that is a non issue and it could actually help them? Ill check out that P10 mask you suggested.

That has been my happy experience. I have been the poster child for stuffy, clogged sinuses through which air dare not pass for most of my life. But I discovered the pillows keep them open all night and have even resulted in me being able to breath through them during the day. Also, any cold that may have come my way has not blossomed into that full blown really yucky thing they used to. Nose stuffy? Cold coming on? Plug into the cpap and by morning I'm much better. Way good.

(05-25-2015, 01:17 PM)tjm1911 Wrote:
(05-25-2015, 12:43 PM)justMongo Wrote: tjm1911 -- I assume your doc has had the talk with you about losing weight.

Honestly I have not been told by my primary care to lose any weight lol. But I do realize I have to lose weight and ever since college and now having a desk job I have gained some weight. Thanks! I have to get my act together and go for a walk and stop eating so much bread.....

I use special recipe bread. One that "sucks up" calories rather than poking them into me. I've been doing this for many years now. I figure it's just a matter of time until it begins to work.
Post Reply Post Reply
retired guy that really gives me some hope with clearing up my sinuses. I would love to dominate sleep apnea and my sinus congestion all at once! lol. I was looking at the P10 and it looks pretty decent. For a hundred bucks I think it may be worth the investment and many places let you return them if they do not work out I have seen.

Now I just have to get a hold of my RX. I have some old paperwork but I don't think i Have the RX.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can order it off Amazon without a rx. Or, you can buy it in two chunks from our on-line suppliers without an rx. They can sell you the headgear only, and as a second line item the pillows. Ridiculous, costs a little more, but makes Mr. Government happy.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are your thoughts on dental Daytime Nightime Appliances (DNA)? NoddingHacker 13 2,747 01-24-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Msevcsisin
  Your thoughts on my stats Brennie 60 2,506 12-30-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Brennie
  some thoughts after a few weeks? ifsmithy 39 1,567 12-21-2023, 02:07 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 2 832 12-17-2023, 06:58 PM
Last Post: stargazing
  Thoughts on my data (after double jaw surgery) accetableplaintain 2 420 11-27-2023, 06:30 AM
Last Post: accetableplaintain
  New mask, thoughts on my sleep data? SleepyMcDonald 1 401 11-08-2023, 11:13 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Anyone seen it/tried it? Thoughts. David Clark 6 732 06-16-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: YipeekiOH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.