Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just looking for some thoughts with my CPAP
RE: Just looking for some thoughts with my CPAP
Red marks in the morning is either from allergy or over tightened mask. It doesn't need to be very tight. Just tight enough to stop the air leaking. But fussing will shift the mask.

I had to go through a learning process to change my sleeping habits beginning with not sleeping prone, which I had done all my life. I broke a few parts of masks swatting and tugging. I've learned not to do those. I itch when I first put on my mask. I quickly quick release the one of the bottom clips, scratch, and replace. I don't shove my finger under the mask when fully anchored. As I said, the Ultra Mirage makes it easy for me to adjust by quickly changing the angle of the forehead bar. I had to learn to do that gently also. It cost me $25 for a new forehead bar.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2015, 11:54 AM)tjm1911 Wrote: Lately I have just been very tired and some nights its taking my a few hours to even fall asleep (probably unrealted to my CPAP).
Sleep hygiene.

You combat some of what you are going though by using good sleep hygiene.

I do the same thing every time I lie down, even for a nap.
  • Use a normal period of time you go to sleep daily
  • Take a bathroom break.
  • Fill the tank
  • Make sure the hose is clear (not tangled up), mask is clean.
  • Make sure sounds and lights are down or off.
  • Put the mask on, lie down and try to sleep.
If 15-30 mins later, I am not asleep, I get up. Nothing worse that laying they for hours with the mask on if you can't sleep. If anything it makes things worse.

Getup, go into another room, perhaps read, stay off the computer, I don't mess with the TV, in 20-35 mins, go back into the bedroom and start over (don't bother with the tank and unless there was a problem with the mask that either).

If you have lots of leaks, there are mask liners which help many. You also might check to see if you mask is the correct size by checking the sizing guides.

BTW, I have a fairly active mental day every day. Many times when it is time to go to bed, I have thoughts on my mind which make it harder to sleep. For that, I use a pair of very light over the ear headphones with Noise Canceling, and listen to a short set of sounds/music which allows me to think of that and I normally fall asleep quickly. When the music ends, there is just silence which helps with other noises during the night which can wake me. The head set is fairly inexpensive not the $300 kind, typically < $25 and last a long time.
[size=x-small]Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) BiLevel Auto
Post Reply Post Reply
I really appreciate all the feedback and advice I have been given. I will take it all into consideration. If i do decide to purchase a nasal pillow I will find a supplier from this website.

I ended up loosening my mask and I think that helped with my face being less irritated.

Also that is really good advice. If you can't sleep you need to get up and out of bed and read or something of the like while avoiding any screens such as tv and pc.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are your thoughts on dental Daytime Nightime Appliances (DNA)? NoddingHacker 13 2,742 01-24-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Msevcsisin
  Your thoughts on my stats Brennie 60 2,504 12-30-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Brennie
  some thoughts after a few weeks? ifsmithy 39 1,563 12-21-2023, 02:07 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 2 830 12-17-2023, 06:58 PM
Last Post: stargazing
  Thoughts on my data (after double jaw surgery) accetableplaintain 2 418 11-27-2023, 06:30 AM
Last Post: accetableplaintain
  New mask, thoughts on my sleep data? SleepyMcDonald 1 400 11-08-2023, 11:13 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Anyone seen it/tried it? Thoughts. David Clark 6 732 06-16-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: YipeekiOH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.