Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just need encouragement
RE: Just need encouragement
I'm new to all this and was diagnosed with OSA in August. I too, have the ResMed AirSense AutoSet 10. I didn't even have to ask for it. 

It's been a great machine and easy to use. I use ONLY distilled water in mine. That will increase the life of the machine greatly. It's so quiet, I can't even hear it. 

I use the ResMed F20 mask. It seems to do well for me. Easy to clean and maintain too. 

Hope you see a very good improvement once using your machine. Be patient though. I was told maybe as much as 90 days before I feel any real improvement.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. Have you felt better since starting?
Post Reply Post Reply
I "think" I have. I was told that it takes most individuals anywhere from 60-90 days of continuous use before any real improvement will be noticed. 

But......here's the thing. From my very 1st night of use, I was able to wear the mask w/o any issues. It's now been about 52 nights or so of continuous use. My wife was certain that I'd give it a night or two and then give up on it. I think I really surprised her at just how serious I was about this sleep apnea stuff. 

I don't feel as sleepy during the afternoon. I don't feel the need to take naps as often as I did. My energy level is still lacking though. I hope that within a few more weeks, that will begin to improve as well. 

Both my reg. doc and my sleep doc says to be patient and give it time. It's something that can't be rushed.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can probably use smaller increments than full cm of H2O.  My RESMED AS10 can increase by 0.2 cm at a time.  In fact, I have always felt that my initial 5 cm were a bit on the stingy side, so I went into my settings and increased my initial ramp pressure to 5.6, and that has been surprisingly more pleasant.  I say this because you may want to reconsider going up to 7 initially if a mere half cm or a single unit climb to 6 will do. 

CAVEAT: it's your therapy and your call.  In the end, given that your AHI count each morning is below 5 and you aren't having major leaks, the way you feel about each night's therapy and rest is hugely important.  You have to like what your experiencing, or at least be able to tolerate it without breaking into a sweat on the upper lip...if you know what I mean.  If the 7 cm are just peachy, and all the numbers look good over the next week, then 7 it is.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is no need to use distilled water in your humidifier in non us areas of the world where it is harder to get distilled water the manual says use ‘water’ you may find you get the minerals in the water turn to solids in the humidifier but a quick soak with vinegar or lemon juice will remove any deposits.

Request the clinician manual from this link if you have not yet https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual we advocate user empowerment. When the dr reviews your treatment if they ask why you changed pressures then just explain why (you felt air starved and it made the cpap more comfortable etc.) there is no law against you the user changing the settings, if the DME changed settings then that would require a new prescription from your dr.

Make sure your machine has an SD card in it as many are supplied these days without one, any SD card between 2GB and 32GB will work, look in my signature on how to download Sleepyhead and post daily graphs and we can then comment on how your treatment is going and any changes that my help your treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New and hoping for encouragement or advice lapsarian 6 693 08-30-2021, 06:36 PM
Last Post: lapsarian
  Confused and Need Encouragement pixelkitty 12 3,513 01-14-2020, 08:37 AM
Last Post: slowriter
  [CPAP] Help, need encouragement! bmiller 12 4,758 03-21-2013, 09:13 PM
Last Post: cincysinner

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.