Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just out of curiosity -- do people eventually learn to love CPAP?
Just out of curiosity -- do people eventually learn to love CPAP?
Hi folks

This is just a general question -- I not looking for advice about all my specific moans. I'm just wondering whether people generally come to terms with long-term usage of CPAP, or whether it remains a struggle for life?

I've only been using CPAP for a couple of weeks, but I can't say I find it agreeable. I can tolerate it for the whole night (just), but the idea of using it for the rest of my life fills me with dread. 

Does it get easier? Do people eventually find combinations of equipment and settings that they don't mind too much? Or is it always a thing that you put up with because the alternative would be much worse? 

As I said, I'm just asking out of general interest.

Best wishes, DS
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just out of curiosity -- do people eventually learn to love CPAP?
I used clpap for about 35 years - never a night or nap without it. I have absolutely no problem continuing it use. It had made my life much better.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I would say it does get easier... I've settled on a mask and settings for quite a while now.

I wouldn't say the wearing is enjoyable, but felling alert throughout the day makes it worth while.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm committed to it. I wouldn't say I'll ever 'love' it, as it means a bunch of work every evening just to sleep, but I know the reward is worth it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Love/Hate.

About 35 years for me too staceyburke.

I've been going through a rough period for about 2 months. I thought I'd try and find a full face mask to simplify my life. Tried some.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using an apap for two years now.  Finding and using the Bleep no mask system helped me be really comfortable with using it.  Then just a couple of months ago I got my new Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her machine and I am happier than ever!  It is SOOO much more comfortable to use than my Dreamstation ever was.  I thought I would like it better but I had no idea I would like it so very much more.

Now, if I didn't know full well that the machine is protecting my health I would of course give it up.  Who wouldn't?  But since I know it is very good for me to use, and especially since I am quite comfortable with it now, I'm happy.   Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't imagine anyone loving it per se. no one would choose to use cpap if they didn't have to.

otoh, I can say with absolute certainty that I hate sleeping without it. we resign ourselves to it because we feel awful without it and better with it. regaining some measure of vitality and slowing the damage apnea does to our body and mind is a powerful incentive to learn to tolerate it.
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
Used mine for over three years and no improvement. I've pretty much stopped using it and my sleep is fine. I still wake up feeling just as tired w/o it as I did with it. 

Luckily I'm retired (going on 12 yrs.), so I can take a nap as needed. Not sure what I'm going to do with all the extra supplies and equipment that I have for it.  Oh-jeez

And, I have another resupply due to be shipped not too far off in the distance.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hate it but I've been using it for so long now that I can't sleep without it. I am one of those users who feel no better for using it, but I persevere because I understand that sleep apnea is dangerous to my health.
Post Reply Post Reply
I liked my ASV therapy after I got used to it. First 2 months was kinda rough. Then at the end of 2 years, did to respiratory disease, the wheels fell off and I lost my like for it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 257 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  UARS - New User - Would Love Some Advice kaelin 3 527 12-25-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  [Treatment] New to CPAP but keen to learn - Please could you help with results and Q's? JustinWoods 17 1,816 12-15-2023, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  New CPAP user here. Ready to learn. Please advise how I can improve! Sleepyman12 4 501 12-13-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Negative for OSA - Would love some advice duude 2 380 11-29-2023, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Would love some feedback on OSCAR data kewlpewl 51 4,946 11-09-2023, 02:22 AM
Last Post: kewlpewl
  Anyone interested in starting an online self-help video chat for people with SA/UARS? JamesD0079 0 345 10-26-2023, 09:56 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.