Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just received P10 nasal pillows...
Just received P10 nasal pillows...
I'm just starting CPAP. My Resmed airsense 10 machine should arrive at end of the week. Today I received my mask in the mail, the Resmed P10. It's really light, no question, which is great. But I'm having the same problem that I had with the nose cannula thing I used during my sleep test: it seems anything (plastic?) I stick even only a little in my nose (even this pillow thing, which just rests against the nostril) makes it react, like an allergy; feels like the inner lining of my nostrils swells a little in reaction (strange sensation, hard to describe, but my sinuses definitely don't like it). I put these things on my nose for maybe 1 minute and I am still feeling the reaction an hour later. I have no known allergies, but I am sensitive to smells, and we are talking all plastic here (all the mask types), and the inside of the nose is very delicate in many ways. Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing? 

I am already despairing that CPAP won't work for me, and it's simply from just trying on the mask! Sad I honestly don't have it in me to try a bunch of different masks with all the headgear...the leaks, the returns, hoping refunds come through...I'm just too exhausted. I'll "give it time," but I'm not hopeful. Unless someone else has experienced this and found a solution or found that it got better over time...?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just received P10 nasal pillows...
Hi, JMB73.  I use the P10 and have found that putting a dab of lanolin around the inside of my nostrils gives them some protection.  There's a brand called Lansinoh, typically sold with baby supplies.  Also, it might help to go up one size on the P10 pillows from what you're using.  Hang in there.  It took me a while to find what works for me, and everyone is different.
Sleepless No More
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like you need a nasal mask, not nasal-pillows or nasal-cushion.  Nasal masks cover the entire nose or most of it, enclosing the nostrils in a sort of cup rather than pressing a pillow or cushion nosepiece against the nostrils from underneath.   The nasal masks in the current generation include Resmed Airfit N20, Philips Respironics Wisp and Pico, and Fisher & Paykel Eson 2.  (The new Resmed N30i is more of a nasal-cushion type even though it's in Resmed's N series rather than P; it does press against the nostrils from underneath.) Photos and advertising and PDFs of the manuals can be found on the manufacturers' web sites:

N20: https://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/pr...t-n20.html

Wisp: https://www.sleepapnea.com/products/masks/wisp

Pico: https://www.sleepapnea.com/products/masks/pico

(sleepapnea.com is Philips Respironics)

Eson 2: https://www.fphcare.com/us/homecare/slee...ks/eson-2/

The third general type of mask is full-face, which covers nostrils and mouth.  But in your situation I would try the nasal type first.

Have you read the Mask Primer wiki article?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2019, 02:41 PM)JMB73 Wrote: I honestly don't have it in me to try a bunch of different masks with all the headgear...the leaks, the returns, hoping refunds come through...I'm just too exhausted.

If you're lucky, and a nasal mask in general works OK for you, you might only have to try one, because it might be The One that you find comfortable and usable with no further problems. Nobody can determine that except you. It'd be nice if it were possible to say "Buy this particular mask and you'll live happily ever after", but it's not realistic. You can get useful information from reviews, though, including the ones in the CPAP Mask Reviews forum here.

Judging by what you've said about the sensitivity, if I were in that situation I wouldn't persist in trying the nasal-pillows or nasal-cushion types. Why torture yourself? There are entirely different kinds of mask available: nasal and full-face. The fact that the P10 is super-popular counts for nothing if it happens to be so bad for you that it causes pain or inflammation. By the way, you're not alone in that. There are many folks who can't use the P10 for that reason. A truckload of Lansinoh won't make the problem disappear.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the responses. 

Fats...thank you for taking the time to write all that. Yeah, I know that a nasal mask is my other best option, but looking at all that headgear...there's pretty much no way I'll be able to sleep with all that strapped to my head. Looking at the details of the N20 just makes me want to cry. I guess it will just come down to whether I can push myself to try it. I have spent so long researching all of this, and I don't even know if CPAP will even help me. It's so hard/disheartening.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you doing all this without the help of insurance and DME? Because if you are getting your equipment from a DME, you're allowed some number of mask tryouts within the first 30 days with no financial penalty. But if you're buying everything yourself, then yeah, I understand that it's a bummer.

We've all had to go through that initial breaking-in period, to one extent or another. It can be difficult. That's where the "Hang in there" advice is on target: hang in there in general, but not necessarily with one specific mask if it's giving you very bad reactions.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2019, 03:25 PM)JMB73 Wrote: Thanks for the responses. 

Fats...thank you for taking the time to write all that. Yeah, I know that a nasal mask is my other best option, but looking at all that headgear...there's pretty much no way I'll be able to sleep with all that strapped to my head. Looking at the details of the N20 just makes me want to cry. I guess it will just come down to whether I can push myself to try it. I have spent so long researching all of this, and I don't even know if CPAP will even help me. It's so hard/disheartening.

jmb-

I'm new to all this (one week) and was given the F&P Eson2 that Fats mentioned.    It' actually not uncomfortable at all and you really don't even know you have the head strap part on.   My problem, as a new guy, is I'm getting some leaks.  
https://www.fphcare.com/us/homecare/slee...ks/eson-2/

I should be getting the Resmed Airfit P10 later today. I'm hoping that one does the trick for me.   - - It's funny how this is all like trying on shoes and trying to get a pair that fits comfortably.  -  Good luck to you in your research & your selection.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2019, 03:28 PM)Fats Drywaller Wrote: Are you doing all this without the help of insurance and DME?  Because if you are getting your equipment from a DME, you're allowed some number of mask tryouts within the first 30 days with no financial penalty.  But if you're buying everything yourself, then yeah, I understand that it's a bummer.

We've all had to go through that initial breaking-in period, to one extent or another.  It can be difficult.  That's where the "Hang in there" advice is on target: hang in there in general, but not necessarily with one specific mask if it's giving you very bad reactions.

Yes, no insurance or DME (not even totally sure what that means, but doesn't matter, since it's not for me), doing all by myself, with help of nice people on forums, like yourself. I can do mask returns with the company I ordered from, but it's a 30 day thing, and since my machine isn't coming until end of this week, I already lost a week of that return window. Anyway, not your problem. Thanks again for the suggestions. Much appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
DME is Durable Medical Equipment provider, basically the retailer that supplies the machine & masks at astronomical markups when insurance is paying. (It's a racket, but it's legal.) DMEs are often a hassle to deal with, very stressful for the patient/victim, so you're well out of that loop, actually lucky in a way. Just to give you some idea, I voluntarily removed myself from that loop last year when the huge hassle started to outweigh the money that I was saving; I canceled the contract a few months in, returned the machine, and bought my own machine (and masks) instead. Expensive, but worth it for the peace of mind.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2019, 02:41 PM)JMB73 Wrote: I put these things on my nose for maybe 1 minute and I am still feeling the reaction an hour later. I have no known allergies, but I am sensitive to smells, and we are talking all plastic here (all the mask types), and the inside of the nose is very delicate in many ways. Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing? 

Hi JMB73,
There are others who are sensitive to the smell of plastics. You may very well be experiencing an allergic reaction, either to the smell or to the silicone in general.

I suggest that you wash the nasal pillows in warm water with Dawn liquid soap. Let soak a bit, then rinse well and let dry. The smell should dissipate.

I’ve also noticed a plastic smell with new nasal pillows, but it doesn’t bother me. Once the Cpap is on and the air pressure is going through the tube and mask, you shouldn’t notice the smell.

To keep the inside of your nose from getting irritated, use a lanolin cream or a nasal gel.

The hardest part of all of this is finding a mask you can tolerate. Don’t give up before you’ve begun.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,757 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 389 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 395 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  Has anyone ever received a refund on cpap after 3 months. Mwilson123 0 200 02-10-2024, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Mwilson123
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 933 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 483 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.