Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just received P10 nasal pillows...
RE: Just received P10 nasal pillows...
Spread the straps to make the P10 looser, turn on the machine and enjoy the free-flow of air for the first time in a long time. Relax, it will be fine. A larger cushion size is often the answer to any irritation. Don't assume anything until you have give it a chance.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to be clear, this is not about irritation from the plastic touching the skin of my nostrils. It's a matter of the smell causing immediate mild inflammation up inside my nostrils.

I soaked in warm water and Bronner's unscented soap (the most natural soap there is, it could be argued), as well as a sprinkle of baking soda (because that can absorb odor, was the idea), for about 30 min. Rinsed. Soaked in some vinegar and water for about 10 min., rinsed. The smell is still there, just as much as before. I am going to air it out over the next couple of days, but I don't see this smell going away. I imagine that it doesn't bother most people. I think I'm very sensitive to smells or something.

At this point, my hope is that maybe if I put a little coconut oil at the inside edge of my nostrils (don't want to use any other gel in my nose, given how sensitive it apparently is), and with the air blowing, it might not be an issue. But I am not hopeful, because when I just lifted the pillow near my nose to smell it, and I did smell the plastic smell, and pretty much immediately afterward I felt the inflammation feeling, which is still lingering. Given that experience (it didn't even touch my nose at all, was just near it), I am also not hopeful that a nasal mask would be better, unless it was truly and utterly odor free.

Man....there's always something. I didn't anticipate this being a problem.... :/
Post Reply Post Reply
What about the Airtouch F20? Memory foam, presumably no silicone? Or is that a different kind of silicone?

https://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/pr...h-f20.html

BTW, also what about the Airfit F10 in your profile/sidebar? Using it? Or tried it by itself, with no machine yet? How is it? Does it give you the same allergic reaction?
Post Reply Post Reply
The Airfit F10 is what I'm talking about in this thread. I don't have my machine yet (arriving in two days).
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, OK. In that case, I suggest changing the profile to "Airfit P10". The F10 is an entirely different mask, full-face rather than nasal pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2019, 07:06 PM)JMB73 Wrote: The Airfit F10 is what I'm talking about in this thread. I don't have my machine yet (arriving in two days).

In your opening post, you were talking about the P10, even though you list the F10 in your profile.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oops! Sorry! Fixed.

Thanks for your patience. There are so many acronyms and capital letters for this and that...I got mixed up. Fatigue doesn't help. Thanks for pointing it out. So, just to be clear, I've got the Airfit P10 in hand, and that's the one I've been talking about. I don't think that a full face mask would work for me. Or even a regular nasal mask. I just don't think I can deal with all that headgear. I'm going to give the P10 a try. Maybe my body will adjust to whatever it's reacting to.

Thanks for your support. I'm alone and pretty much doing this all by myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2019, 08:09 PM)JMB73 Wrote: Oops! Sorry! Fixed.

Thanks for your patience. There are so many acronyms and capital letters for this and that...I got mixed up. Fatigue doesn't help. Thanks for pointing it out. So, just to be clear, I've got the Airfit P10 in hand, and that's the one I've been talking about. I don't think that a full face mask would work for me. Or even a regular nasal mask. I just don't think I can deal with all that headgear. I'm going to give the P10 a try. Maybe my body will adjust to whatever it's reacting to.

Thanks for your support. I'm alone and pretty much doing this all by myself.

Your not alone at all...you’ve found us!

Seriously, there are so many caring and knowledable folk here on this forum and will try to help.
Most of us have been where you are at now. Hang in there.

If you see a P in the mask description, it is a Pillows mask. N is a Nasal mask, and F is a Full face mask.
Let us know when you get your machine.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
JMB, if the problem isn't just irritation inside the nostrils, but a more general allergic reaction to silicone, you should try a web search for that, also search here on AB and on other sleep-apnea talk forums, to get some recommendations for masks.  Here's one that turns up from a search, a maker of cloth masks, and it has been suggested by at least one person here. Company name Circadiance, brand name Sleepweaver, with four mask variants.  From the web site:

Quote:No more skin irritation:  Cloth is very smooth and breathable, so it can form a good seal without feeling sticky or tacky on the skin.  Nothing enters the nose, so the mucosal tissues are not irritated.  The mask contains no natural rubber latex or silicone, so it does not cause allergic reactions.

There might be other companies making the same kind of product, for all I know.

Also, don't be concerned about the headgear of full-face and nasal masks!  If you haven't tried it yet, then you don't know.  It's not such a big deal, unless you have some sort of claustrophobic aversion to having some straps surrounding your head.  If that's the case, then I'm sorry and I don't know what to suggest.  But if it's merely a feeling of "I'll never be able to put up with that", I think that's too much of a prejudgment.  Zillions of people put up with that every night, are comfortable with it, and don't think twice about it!  I have a Wisp (nasal) that I use occasionally, and it's like that, and it doesn't bother me.

One complaint that people have had about the more complex headgear is that it might mess up your hair by the end of the night, but then that's also true of the simple backstrap on the P10 or the Brevida. The workaround is to use a scarf or bandana underneath the headgear.

Just a thought:  You might also try re-posting here on AB, using a different title with some better keywords, like "What's a good mask for someone who is allergic to silicone?" It could be that a lot of AB readers are skipping this thread because they're not interested in the P10.  If you can get the attention of the other folks here who are also allergic, that'll be your real support group.

P.S.: I think we all understand about brain fog. Sad That's one reason you shouldn't give up or despair! You can get to your personal, customized solution, and banish the mental fog, if you hang in there. And you have an excellent machine on the way, which is a big step forward. So just find a mask that you can live with (presumably cloth rather than plastic), and you'll be fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, OpalRose and Fats.

I will take a look at mask alternatives, great idea. But, yes, it's kind of a claustro thing (not that I'm normally claustrophobic), in that it feels uncomfortable having straps around my head. Also, I tend to toss and turn, sleep on my side, and all those straps on the side... Anyway, this is why I feel like the P10 is by best option. At least right now. Since I can order from an online company that will accept returns on masks, I may try a couple down the road, though.

Thanks again for the help and support.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,756 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 389 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 395 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  Has anyone ever received a refund on cpap after 3 months. Mwilson123 0 200 02-10-2024, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Mwilson123
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 933 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 482 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.