Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just started
Hey All!

Very new to all this, i just got my machine 3 days ago. It is the Amara View mask as i am a mouth breather.

I am having a lot of trouble sleep since it is very strange having a giant thing on your face. any ideas or best practices you can give with how to get used to all this?

Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome
What works for most people is to wear the mask while watching TV or reading a book or some similar activity. That allows you to dispel any notions about the mask being harmful and makes for an easier acceptance of it.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum jmihail,
It takes some of us longer to adapt than others, and yes, it's strange to have something on your face and attached to a hose. We have all been there.

You can try using your mask with machine on while sitting up watching TV or reading. Do this an hour before bed.

If you would fill out your profile with exact equipment, it would be helpful. Phillips equals many different PAP machines.
Good luck!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

How to Organize and Post ScreenShots

http://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

I started with the same mask a couple of months ago. It was about a week before I could fall asleep with it on. If after a few hours I didn't fall asleep I would take it off. If I woke up later in the night I would put it back on and then I could fall asleep with it on. By the second week I was able to fall asleep with it on. Sometime during the second week I remember waking up thinking I forgot to put the mask on then realized I was wearing it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-01-2016, 11:09 AM)surferdude2 Wrote: Welcome
What works for most people is to wear the mask while watching TV or reading a book or some similar activity. That allows you to dispel any notions about the mask being harmful and makes for an easier acceptance of it.

Dude

Thanks, I'll give it a go and see if it helps

(01-01-2016, 11:12 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Welcome to the forum jmihail,
It takes some of us longer to adapt than others, and yes, it's strange to have something on your face and attached to a hose. We have all been there.

You can try using your mask with machine on while sitting up watching TV or reading. Do this an hour before bed.

If you would fill out your profile with exact equipment, it would be helpful. Phillips equals many different PAP machines.
Good luck!

Ok I updated my profile with my machine (I think).

(01-01-2016, 11:26 AM)Jimsp1 Wrote: I started with the same mask a couple of months ago. It was about a week before I could fall asleep with it on. If after a few hours I didn't fall asleep I would take it off. If I woke up later in the night I would put it back on and then I could fall asleep with it on. By the second week I was able to fall asleep with it on. Sometime during the second week I remember waking up thinking I forgot to put the mask on then realized I was wearing it.

OK i'll give it some time. It just seemed to initially hinder my sleeping as opposed to improving it.

Thanks all!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jmihail,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Just give it time, it does get better.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Started having major leaks after 2 years Charlie Sue 18 550 09-18-2017, 06:41 PM
Last Post: Charlie Sue
  Help! started great, now poor rorielly 12 562 08-08-2017, 10:28 AM
Last Post: mraroid
  Just started Medicare have questions on how to go about this Lanco 6 548 05-16-2017, 02:58 AM
Last Post: Lanco
Question New Member - Just Started With APAP AndersonP 12 779 04-21-2017, 08:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Ear Ache & Sinus Headache - Just started CPAP therapy Lou28 9 663 03-15-2017, 03:00 PM
Last Post: Marillion
Wink Recently started APAP, best decision for my health I've ever made. Moonlight Graham 12 892 02-25-2017, 10:27 AM
Last Post: Moonlight Graham
Wink Recently started APAP, best decision for my health I've ever made. Moonlight Graham 4 401 02-24-2017, 02:12 PM
Last Post: Moonlight Graham