Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just started my CPAP trial and struggling.
Just started my CPAP trial and struggling.
Hello, everyone. I've just started my CPAP trial. I have severe sleep apnoea, I stop breathing 47 times an hour and have 27 hypopnoeas an hour so needless to say I feel pretty tired all the time and I need to do something about it.

I started my trial a few days ago and have had no success. The full face mask seemed to leak badly and woke me every time I drifted off (I even shaved off my beard that I've had for six years to try to help the seal). The nose mask caused air to blow out my mouth every time I fell asleep.

Basically I'm on here to get some encouragement. Did everyone have a really hard time to start? I know it's very early days for me but right now I feel worse than ever and I usually feel pretty bad.

Hope you guys can help me to get through this because I have heard a lot of positive things about CPAPs.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just started my CPAP trial and struggling.
(08-13-2012, 12:07 AM)slujones Wrote: Hello, everyone. I've just started my CPAP trial. I have severe sleep apnoea, I stop breathing 47 times an hour and have 27 hypopnoeas an hour so needless to say I feel pretty tired all the time and I need to do something about it.
I started my trial a few days ago and have had no success. The full face mask seemed to leak badly and woke me every time I drifted off (I even shaved off my beard that I've had for six years to try to help the seal). The nose mask caused air to blow out my mouth every time I fell asleep.
Basically I'm on here to get some encouragement. Did everyone have a really hard time to start? I know it's very early days for me but right now I feel worse than ever and I usually feel pretty bad.

Hang in there. It takes a LOT of patience. I started April 3 and I'm currently in my sixth mask and still tweaking things. Not only does it take a long time and a lot of patience to get things working for you, but the benefits can also be slow to arrive. Plan on a couple of months of fiddling with masks and figuring out how your machine works. But once the benefits start to appear you will bless the day you found CPAP. It has changed my life and given me an extra ten years of lifespan.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome slujones
Sorry to hear that you,re having problems. It can be overwhelming at first sleeping hooked up to a blower but over time it can get better and become a nightly routine just like brushing teeth or wearing pyjamas to bed. It took nearly a year to figure it and sleeping right through the night with the mask. Over tightening the straps can cause more leaks, Its best to wear the mask a bit loose and let the cushion fill with air to fully inflate and create a seal against the face. Have you thought what machine are you getting?

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the encouragement. i haven't thought as far ahead as what machine I'll get just yet. I've just got to stick to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2012, 01:17 AM)slujones Wrote: Thanks for the encouragement. i haven't thought as far ahead as what machine I'll get just yet. I've just got to stick to it.

As everyone will say, just persevere with it, it pays off. I am just starting my 5th week on my machine and I am still fighting with my mask and waiting to have a full nights sleep, but I already feel the benefit as I am now getting sound sleep.

I no longer nod off at work and this last weekend we went away to a hotel and for the first time I have been able to feel really refreshed after sleeping in a strange place.

Even if I never get that elusive full nights sleep, i am not giving up using my VPAP. So hang in there Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
It took me several months to adjust. I started in March and have a bi-flex pressure of 18/14 so I know what a pain leaks can be... I stayed with it and feel so much better...
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

The crucial time with cpap is when you first start out. Some wear it the first night and then throw the mask across the room with a bugger that for a game, then you have the ones that try and usually succeed.

When you get your equipment, give yourself an hour during the day and take yourself up to bed. Set your machine up, put on your mask and adjust. Dont be scared of the mask, check it out or even take it to bits if you feel confident enough to do this but most of all get to know it and get to know what feels right then when your first night comes you will be ready and set up for hopefully a care free night.

DC
Post Reply Post Reply
Try wearing the mask and turning the machine on several times a day for a while. Wear it while reading or watching television.

Keep trying different masks. There's a lot out there of each kind and each one, even of the same type, fits a little differently.

If you are to succeed, you must keep trying. Even medications take a while to adjust and many times you have to try a different one before you find one that works. xPAP treatment is no different.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi slujones, First of all, WELCOME! to the forum.! I'm sure sorry you are getting off to a rough start but hang in there; CPAP therapy can take LOTS OF PATIENCE and possibly several masks but don't give up on it, you've just begun. Best of luck and keep us posted.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi slujones, WELCOME! to the forum.!
hang in there it all get's better ,you may have to try different mask but you will win in the long run.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just getting started, looking for an OSCAR data review mattcole3 3 106 04-12-2024, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New to CPAP and struggling with my mask. jmswjunk4 2 85 04-11-2024, 10:21 AM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 5 347 04-04-2024, 08:10 AM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  [CPAP] Struggling with settings touwmus 0 105 04-01-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: touwmus
  Struggling with pressure etc ubuntootoo 9 358 03-22-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 173 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
Gross [Diagnosis] Moved from APAP to BPAP and struggling Spicykielbasa 1 263 03-10-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Spicykielbasa

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.