Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just started using CPAP with nasal mask/chin strap. THIS IS HARD!!
Just started using CPAP with nasal mask/chin strap. THIS IS HARD!!
Hello, I'm new to the board, was diagnosed with sleep apnea back in 08, and after fighting with a mask that didn't fit, etc., I quit.  Fast forward to now, I just had a study done, and my AHI is 40 (including hypoapneas).  I sleep with the mask on, but it seems to be a lighter sleep and I'm wanting a nap badly after sleeping some nights.  Is this normal?  How long do I have to wait?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just started using CPAP with nasal mask/chin strap. THIS IS HARD!!
The amount of time it takes to adapt varies from person to person. An AHI of 40 means you are experiencing 40 events per hour. That's one event every 90 seconds, on average. Each event disrupts your sleep, even if you have no memory of it. We get so used to this it seems normal.

You just have to hang in there and be mindful of the fact that without CPAP you are not only sleep deprived, you are increasing the risk of cardiovascular disease, a debilitating stroke that can severely impact the quality of your life, or an early death. On the other hand, with CPAP therapy you can get more enjoyment out of life.

Keep trying different masks until you find one that fits. Your medical care is designed with the provision in mind that you will likely have to try different masks until you find one that fits.

Even if you don't feel better every day, you will have some days where you do feel better. The number of these good days will increase over time.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As Sleepster says, it takes different people different amounts of time before they start feeling better during the day. While you’re waiting for improvement, you might also try following these guidelines for better sleep:

Keep a consistent sleep schedule. Get up at the same time every day, even on weekends or during vacations.
Set a bedtime that is early enough for you to get at least 7 hours of sleep.
Don’t go to bed unless you are sleepy.
If you don’t fall asleep after 20 minutes, get out of bed.
Establish a relaxing bedtime routine.
Use your bed only for sleep and sex.
Make your bedroom quiet and relaxing. Keep the room at a comfortable, cool temperature.
Limit exposure to bright light in the evenings.
Turn off electronic devices at least 30 minutes before bedtime.
Don’t eat a large meal before bedtime. If you are hungry at night, eat a light, healthy snack.
Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy diet.
Avoid consuming caffeine in the late afternoon or evening.
Avoid consuming alcohol before bedtime.
Reduce your fluid intake before bedtime.

Above all, hang in there! It’s wonderful you’ve returned to treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
We don't have any information about your therapy and how you are responding to it, so it's hard to give more than generic advice or feedback.  Some do well and feel better within a few nights, some complain that their CPAP therapy, even when it's functioning well, doesn't make them feel different, and certainly not better.  Some complain of 'fog brain', some say they feel sleepier during normal waking times, say watching TV (my hand is up), than prior to starting therapy.  So, what're ya gonna do?!?!?

There may be something we can do to improve your experience, but we can't do that without some hard numbers.  If your machine has an SD card in it, and if it transmits information over the internet to a central server or monitoring agency, you can see what it holds by downloading the freeware OSCAR (see a link in the black marquis near the top of this page), and then posting the results for a few days.  We may be able to offer some suggestions for tweaking your current delivery.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it is hard for most of us to adapt to CPAP usage. I have been treated for 32 years, and as yet I never LIKE having to get my mask in place and strapped in. BUT the alternative to not liking a mask is have all sorts of sleepiness problems and also danger to my health if I don't mask-up every night. I urge you th hang in there and learn to tolerate the treatment-I think it is certainly worth the effort.

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you !!  I am almost past the 2 week mark, so I'm pushing through.  It must take the body a long time to finally catch up.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-21-2019, 04:33 PM)homey76 Wrote: Thank you !!  I am almost past the 2 week mark, so I'm pushing through.  It must take the body a long time to finally catch up.

I started SA therapy on Sept. 10th, 2018. Only missed four nights here and there since. Those nights were by choice, and I just wanted a night's sleep w/o all the gear on. 

The therapy is going very well and from the very 1st night of use, it's been a walk in the park. No issues or complications at all. MY AHI's are well under 5. Lowest has been 0.3 and my highest (1st night of use) was 4.3. 

But.......I'm still not feeling it as of yet. I still feel tired and not as energetic as I would like. I know some respond faster to SA therapy than others do. I'm going to see this thru though. I have to think that it will improve with time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Man that's what I'm hoping too.  I think my experience may be similar to yours that it will take months to adjust.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-21-2019, 05:12 PM)homey76 Wrote: Man that's what I'm hoping too.  I think my experience may be similar to yours that it will take months to adjust.

Yes, that very well may be the case. Stick with it and don't give up on it. I've received incredible support from members of this forum. 

When you're feeling all disappointed and frustrated, let us know. We're here for you!  Thumbs-up-2
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your support!!  It really means a lot, even though we're online.  I am feeling tempted to go without the mask tonight just to get some "normal" sleep because I think the cpap is messing with my REM sleep maybe from just not being used to it yet.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 62 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 251 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 982 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,162 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 560 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 125 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,547 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.