Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just started using CPAP with nasal mask/chin strap. THIS IS HARD!!
RE: Just started using CPAP with nasal mask/chin strap. THIS IS HARD!!
I mentioned in previous posts, I've never had any problems staying awake, or falling asleep involuntarily. I was in LE for 30 yrs., and if I had such a problem, there's no way I could have continued. 

I've come to learn and know that SA can vary greatly. Just from what I have read and learned on this forum, it can be very severe. I've never gone to a doctor complaining of any sleep issue. 

During my in-lab sleep studies, my AHI was 70 during regular sleep, and 60 during REM. I was told that was considered to be moderately severe SA. 

Since CPAP therapy, I'm now below 5. Apparently something positive is going on. My problem is, I just don't feel it. As mentioned already, I am committed to continuing on. I'm holding on to the possibility that things will continue to improve and that some day, I will become aware of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it's any consolation, your wife won't think you're as stupid in 12 months
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/806838
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
ajack, the link leads the uninitiated (me) to a login screen rather than an article. looks like registration is free but just so you know.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank's I didn't realise, we'll try this one.
Brain damage caused by severe sleep apnea is reversible
https://aasm.org/brain-damage-caused-by-...eversible/
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
oh man that's good to know! got a ways to go in that department and was afraid I might never get back to par.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2019, 05:27 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I mentioned in previous posts, I've never had any problems staying awake, or falling asleep involuntarily. I was in LE for 30 yrs., and if I had such a problem, there's no way I could have continued. 

I've come to learn and know that SA can vary greatly. Just from what I have read and learned on this forum, it can be very severe. I've never gone to a doctor complaining of any sleep issue. 

During my in-lab sleep studies, my AHI was 70 during regular sleep, and 60 during REM. I was told that was considered to be moderately severe SA. 

Since CPAP therapy, I'm now below 5. Apparently something positive is going on. My problem is, I just don't feel it. As mentioned already, I am committed to continuing on. I'm holding on to the possibility that things will continue to improve and that some day, I will become aware of it.

Welcome home soldier  Thanks for your service.

From what I'm reading it sounds like you have things well in hand. 
As a professional warrior you have discipline and determination as part of your character, so, you will not fail.
In fact, it sounds to me like you are a real success story. AHI below 5 all the time is terrific. 

Sleep-well
My worst night on CPAP is 10X better than my best night without it  Eat-popcorn 
Good night Chesty, wherever you are..Semper Fi
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm really glad you're staying with therapy.

The people here are incredible. With their help you will learn how to manage your therapy. You'll see signs that things are good. When they are, remember those times.

You'll also see signs that something is happening, and maybe things aren't so good. That's the clue. After all if we're doing all this stuff we deserve to feel as well as we can.

I wear a nasal mask like you. And I use a headstrap too. If I don't I mouth breath. Clue is that my mouth is dry when I wake up. Trouble with my headstrap is that it stretches with time. Then it doesn't work so well. And if I keep using it, it stops working at all.

Same with my mask. I delayed buying a new mask. When I finally did the identical mask looked different than my old one. The headgear had stretched a lot on the old one. The cushion that seals even looked different. I wouldn't have noticed if I just looked at the old one. My numbers were ok; but I felt like crap.

One difference for me is that I used Sleepyhead to check my results. I hadn't used it in 6 months.

Summarizing, if i have to wear this gear and do this stuff, I want to feel amazing! So my quest is for sleep quality.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2019, 06:41 AM)3rdMarDiv Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 05:27 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I mentioned in previous posts, I've never had any problems staying awake, or falling asleep involuntarily. I was in LE for 30 yrs., and if I had such a problem, there's no way I could have continued. 

Welcome home soldier  Thanks for your service.

From what I'm reading it sounds like you have things well in hand. 
As a professional warrior you have discipline and determination as part of your character, so, you will not fail.
In fact, it sounds to me like you are a real success story. AHI below 5 all the time is terrific. 

Sleep-well

And, a big thank-you for your service.  SHa_clap2
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 71 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 252 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 985 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,164 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 560 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 127 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,550 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.