Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just started
Just started
Hey All!

Very new to all this, i just got my machine 3 days ago. It is the Amara View mask as i am a mouth breather.

I am having a lot of trouble sleep since it is very strange having a giant thing on your face. any ideas or best practices you can give with how to get used to all this?

Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just started
Welcome
What works for most people is to wear the mask while watching TV or reading a book or some similar activity. That allows you to dispel any notions about the mask being harmful and makes for an easier acceptance of it.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum jmihail,
It takes some of us longer to adapt than others, and yes, it's strange to have something on your face and attached to a hose. We have all been there.

You can try using your mask with machine on while sitting up watching TV or reading. Do this an hour before bed.

If you would fill out your profile with exact equipment, it would be helpful. Phillips equals many different PAP machines.
Good luck!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started with the same mask a couple of months ago. It was about a week before I could fall asleep with it on. If after a few hours I didn't fall asleep I would take it off. If I woke up later in the night I would put it back on and then I could fall asleep with it on. By the second week I was able to fall asleep with it on. Sometime during the second week I remember waking up thinking I forgot to put the mask on then realized I was wearing it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-01-2016, 11:09 AM)surferdude2 Wrote: Welcome
What works for most people is to wear the mask while watching TV or reading a book or some similar activity. That allows you to dispel any notions about the mask being harmful and makes for an easier acceptance of it.

Dude

Thanks, I'll give it a go and see if it helps

(01-01-2016, 11:12 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Welcome to the forum jmihail,
It takes some of us longer to adapt than others, and yes, it's strange to have something on your face and attached to a hose. We have all been there.

You can try using your mask with machine on while sitting up watching TV or reading. Do this an hour before bed.

If you would fill out your profile with exact equipment, it would be helpful. Phillips equals many different PAP machines.
Good luck!

Ok I updated my profile with my machine (I think).

(01-01-2016, 11:26 AM)Jimsp1 Wrote: I started with the same mask a couple of months ago. It was about a week before I could fall asleep with it on. If after a few hours I didn't fall asleep I would take it off. If I woke up later in the night I would put it back on and then I could fall asleep with it on. By the second week I was able to fall asleep with it on. Sometime during the second week I remember waking up thinking I forgot to put the mask on then realized I was wearing it.

OK i'll give it some time. It just seemed to initially hinder my sleeping as opposed to improving it.

Thanks all!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jmihail,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Just give it time, it does get better.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 117 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,591 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  started to get a lot more centrals, questions airwaystent 3 232 03-02-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 807 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 323 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Started CPAP treatment - Would like advice on my sleep study and OSCAR information Mythique 27 2,795 01-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Started on BiLevel for UARS, how does chart look? squashedlikeabug 5 516 01-04-2024, 01:30 PM
Last Post: squashedlikeabug

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.