Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just starting out
Just starting out
Hi all,

For the new year (2016) I finally got to start ASV treatment. in 2014 I was woken by a terrorized (now) fiance because I don't breathe when I sleep. In the spring of the next year I had my first sleep study where the tech basically looked at me very confused when I arrived because she wasn't use to seeing a mid-twenty year old female in her sleep lab. She woke me up the next morning with another confused look saying that I have complex sleep apnea, and cpap didn't do anything (cpap had been put on in the middle of the night). I'm not told much but somehow get my next sleep study half a year later and ASV works and I again try to figure out what to do next-- I do a follow up at the local clinic where they do at least give me a copy of my sleep study-- and a lecture about how losing weight is what I really need to do (until I ask if that is really the cure for the central sleep apneas--then the doc admits to having not read the report). It takes another few months to actually get all the paperwork together for getting the machine -- luckily I started a new job and new insurance kicked in this January, which made the process much quicker (in two days after they got my info I had the machine... it was exciting!)

Of course, with the actual sleep study report I did get to see my actual numbers, while my O2 didn't go below 88% in the first study... they did measure an ahi of 150, mostly central events.

I guess my question is now, what do I expect? I'm a few weeks in and mostly just feel tired, but not the crashing type of tired I was before where I would get home and just am done for the day. Mostly it feels like I just need more sleep and if I don't get enough I get very cranky. It actually seems very weird to just feel tired all day. I use to get up early and have energy until early evening and then I would just crash and nothing could get done.

It just feels weird to be tired I guess?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just starting out
Welcome to the forum, S10wanderer,

It's a good thing that your fiance discovered your breathing problem, or you may not have been aware.

First thing, order the Clinicans manual for your machine, link at top of page (CPAP Setup Manuals). This will tell you how to get into the providers menu and learn how to adjust settings if needed.

For now, fill out your profile with exact machine, mask name and the pressure ranges your machine is set to.

Then download the free Sleepyhead software (link also top of page).
This will help you to track your progress and learn more about your apnea.

Don't hesitate to ask questions here if you need help with pressure settings, or anything else. Also, at top of page is a Help link, with many good "how to" articles.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2016, 11:07 AM)S10wanderer Wrote: I guess my question is now, what do I expect? I'm a few weeks in and mostly just feel tired, but not the crashing type of tired I was before where I would get home and just am done for the day.

Same with me, 3 weeks in and don't feel any better than before xPAP therapy. Hope things will get better in time, as some point out.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are two things to remember about CPAP, there is the therapy settings and then there are the comfort settings. Chances are that they therapy will not work as well as it could if you are uncomfortable using it. 99.9% of the people are not going to be comfortable with all the comfort settings left at default. Only you can find your sweet spot for the comfort settings, go hunting and find them.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi S10wanderer,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
We have a number of members using ASV therapy, and it really helps to download the Sleepyhead software to see the effectiveness of the treatment, and if there is anything you need to consider to optimize it. Interesting story, and especially the "lose weight" lecture.

Be sure to keep a copy of your sleep study(s) in your personal files, as well as your prescription. Good luck, and welcome to the forums.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome S10wanderer and membus to the forum! Hope you both find all the answers you need and are successful in your SA therapy!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 675 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 326 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  heart palpitations starting CPAP: temporary? acordeon 4 634 12-14-2023, 08:49 PM
Last Post: acordeon
  [Equipment] unusual high pressure when starting treatment klbklb7 9 720 11-21-2023, 12:41 AM
Last Post: klbklb7
Smile Starting Out - Guidance Please apneavolt 4 476 11-20-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Increased Anxiety/Irritability after Starting CPAP? gohoos1998 0 403 11-17-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  [CPAP] Starting Bleep (Dreamports) and need help! Kathy14225 11 1,769 10-30-2023, 03:57 PM
Last Post: GaspForAir

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.