Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just stole the Sleep Study memory card! Here are the RESULTS!
Just stole the Sleep Study memory card! Here are the RESULTS!
He stupidly used the worst possible cannule for flow limitations and RERAs and still caught 4.3 of them in REM.

It wrote 0 flow limitations which I won't even comment. 

Arousal index is 55 and I am sure there are much more RERAs underneath it if he would have used either 1. manometry gold standard 2. proper nasal cannula second choice or, at least thermistor. In fact he used the worst, combined nasal oral which is worst at detecting RERAs. 

Still, I forgive him. 

I have RDI around 20 in REM and 5.6 outside of REM. 

I guess lack of REM and common arousals in REM explain my anxiety and panic attacks and nightmares.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just stol the Sleep Study memory card! Here are the RESULTS!
Here is one more image

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just stole the Sleep Study memory card! Here are the RESULTS!
Here is one more explanation why that cannula is not appropriate for RERAs 

Basically mouth piece is an open hole on it.

Post Reply Post Reply
This is an extremely complex topic in sleep disordered breathing that has little consensus among clinicians due to difficult and inconsistent diagnostic methods and criteria, and most importantly, the insurance companies don't want to pay for it. Insurance would rather fund research that argues UARS is not a disease state or a distinct problem like this https://aadsm.org/journal/pro_con_debate...sue_31.php

We know people have very disrupted sleep and disability due to airway resistance or obstruction that does not meet the covered definition of obstructive sleep apnea as defined by AHI as demonstrated by cessations or reductions of breathing associated with oxygen desaturations of at least 4% over 10 seconds. If RERA is even considered, it is not the cannula that matters, but the EEG signal that shows a cyclical arousal state associated with respiratory events or reductions in flow. We are dealing with a medical "science" that is defined by the insurers that must pay for the therapy to correct it, so it is extremely blind to many problems. Those problems exist, and affected individuals are desperate to improve their lives, and actually thing the doctors are there to help them. Some are, but most are just running and scoring tests designed by insurance payers to exclude as many people as possible from coverage. You're surprised that they are not looking for UARS? The amazing thing is they would rather test endlessly, do orthopharangeal surgery or pay for expensive dental devices than to do what works!

The input we get from CPAP is, at best, no better than a cannula, yet we recognize the morphology that represents flow limitation and we know how to treat it in most cases. Resmed is the only manufacturer to specifically identify the relative "flatness" of the inspiratory flow wave and incorporates it in a major way in their algorithm. We are not medical professionals on this forum, but if a person is capable of self-funding the correct treatment, whether it is UARS or complex/central apnea, we can save thousands of dollars, a great deal of time and frustration by directing people like you to the right and effective therapy. We don't call it the "medical mafia" for nothing. It is designed to take your money, and redirect as much cost back to you as possible. It doesn't get better with socialized medicine which is driven by the same motives to just make you go away as private insurance, in fact there are even fewer choices and less access to smart, intelligent medical problem solvers that actually consider your interests ahead of insurance of payers. So is this such a complex problem that the most intelligent medical minds can't outperform an amateur non-medical forum using CPAP data displayed on share-ware to solve real problems, or is this obfuscation...making something simple too complex to be solved?

The test you are arguing about was designed NOT to find the very problem you are concerned about. Surprised?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
See, the test said you didn't have it. Then again, the test will say what they want if they use flawed inputs. Dr. Flawed Testitis can get whatever results he wants that way.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are the arousals...

I wonder is 64 arousal per hour a big number?

I dont know why he wrote less up there.

It totals around 416 arousals I guess in 6.5 hours.

I really want to find a place with manometry testing, I want to check because I am just curious.

In fact, I had very little obstructives, mostly hypopneas, almost ALL are hypopneas.

So if hypopnea is 50% reduction of the flow, it is obvious there are many more RERAs and my RDI in REM sleep is not just 20 but maybe 30 or 40.

It is quite illogical that somehow air and my biology and everything would decide that they will make ONLY hypopneas without any RERAs.

It is quite logical that the cannula and test he did decided that Big Grin

And so I will pursue this furtherm I definitely feel much better.

I have some issues passing through rem sleep to be honest.

Even with current settings, I often wake up at REM sleep. But at least now there are no more nightmares.

A friend of mine who studies medicine as well will bring his EEG and we will test ammount of arousals with the VAUTO.

I arleady recorded myself in the night and I move way less and am very calm througout the night.

In REM for some reason I get leaks and still irregular breathing and wakes me up. 

I will figure it out. GOt a lot of duck tape today.

Btw donated today to our Apeaboard Smile.

Also for sleeprider, my parents are actually relieved this is working out good.

I still have attention deficit but really I can feel improvement from day to day.

Post Reply Post Reply
416 arousals...shake the sleeping doc every minute for 6.5 hours. OK, the math is off just a bit, but you get my point. Ask him/her how they slept?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lolabove  Yes, a disturbance or arousal more than once every minute will quickly drive anyone insane.  I'm glad you find the new settings more comfortable, and we can try to do better as you gain more experience with the Aircurve 10. 

I don't understand your need to have a manometry test on your airway. It requires partial sedation and is not inexpensive to perform. Learning what you already know, that you have upper airway resistance, will not make treating it any different, but it may lead a doctor to recommend uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP) surgery or other devices..  Give us some time, and we will study your results, and fine-tune settings if appropriate. Thanks again for your support of Apnea Board.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI of 60 is like going on a long road trip with kids. "Are we there yet?". Every minute
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 238 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.