Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just try lip tape!
RE: Just try lip tape!
Griff Grips sports tape (they have lots of different types) is kinesiology tape and may work with a facial hair. It is very strong and one roll lasts a long time. It leaves zero tape residue on the skin which is something I’ve not experienced with other tape. I also picked it up on Amazon as it was a couple of buck less. Been using since the early summer and plan to continue to use.

Yes, it is expensive, however, I’m still using the 1st roll and use it every night. I can’t say that with the 3M product where one roll lasted a month.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I use my nasal mask or the bleep mask I tape with Hypafix .  It’s cheap and lasts quite a while.  I’ve never had any issues with removing it in the morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a mouth breather at night and have tried tape briefly before my sleep apnea diagnosis. I found the 3M medical tape i was using was not keeping my mouth closed effectively, not sure why... Some nights it felt good, others not. I also have facial hair so i think that made it more difficult to use tape successfully.

Having a lot of issues with my full face mask set up now, wondering if I could experiment with integrating tape back in somehow and if that might help with my extreme fatigue...

Thanks for posting your experiences. Will have a look at Griff grip however cost is a concern for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Uphold…you can also try kinesiology tape of any type. I like Griff Grip but think next time I will give another brand a go since the price of Griff is pretty high.
Post Reply Post Reply
Any tape intended for NTS (next-to-skin) applications is 'safe'.  It may generate a slight skin condition in some sensitive users (contact dermatitis) or even what will turn out to be an allergic response, but that is almost certain to be due to the adhesive.  Switch brands, switch 'holds' by changing to another type of tape.  

Avoid those whose removal on the first use causes you alarm because it is so difficult to remove, especially if it really stretches the skin.  Older patients with fragile/thin skin should get used to those tapes with minimal hold, or at worst medium hold.  Most of the 'paper' tapes are easily torn and can be removed fairly easily without fear of damage.

So far, I have used plain old sports white tape to good effect, NexCare 'water resistant' [NOT THE 'waterproof'!], and the light blue 'strong hold'.  I really like the strong hold because, if applied over a freshly scrubbed mouth (clean and dried skin), it can be pealed off slowly next morning and re-used at least four times...in my experience.  It's expensive tape, but when you get two, three, four uses out of it, it becomes much more appealing. 

Store the remnant wrapped around the same spool.  Keeps the adhesive from drying out.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,164 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  mouth tape cberistain 15 671 02-21-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Mouth Tape Trick for Wimps (like me) Deborah K. 29 2,582 02-05-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: punkrockcholo
  For chronic mouth leakers using tape and getting mixed results, or even poor results. Expat31 1 400 12-14-2023, 12:33 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Mouth puffing up with tape shamrock72 12 2,190 11-02-2023, 01:29 PM
Last Post: antond
  PAP MD Mouth Tape Columbiabill 6 8,021 10-28-2023, 08:55 PM
Last Post: antiquefrek

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.