Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself
Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself
I stumbled across this group when I typed into Google "i hate cpap." That was an actual website. Then I tried "I really hate cpap," and found myself here. So, I am recently diagnosed. Don't have my numbers but I do know that my apnea incidents occur when I flip onto my back and during REM sleep. I was hoping to use a device intended for positional apnea, but the doctor insisted on the cpap. I thought maybe I could use both. Nope. Not even if I buy the device myself. So, tell me it's not so bad. I hate having my nose and/or mouth covered. Could not even make a paper bag mask in elementary school thanks to a traumatic preschool encounter with a dentist who made my mom leave the room then pinched my nose shut and covered my mouth until i thought he was killing me. The let me gasp and popped in the Novocaine shot. He told me never to tell my parents. I used to dream about him every night.
Anyway, that's probably TMI, and for that I apologize. Thanks for being here. Hope I can give back in equal measure. Be well, all.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself
Sleep Apnea Therapy isn't all that bad. 

I'm saying that with a straight face..............I really am.  Big Grin

BTW.....hello & welcome to the site. Great bunch of people here to help you with whatever.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry to hear your bad dental experience; i can recount some as well... and won't do that

For me CPAP (APAP) is all about how I feel... I can can share that it has made a huge difference in my life....
no longer multiple bathroom trips in the night
not waking up 2-3 times an hour (and not even counting the ones i dont remember)
Not falling asleep on the couch when i want to hag out with my young son.

I was lucky from the perspective that the mask (full face) and I were friends right away and can only imagine (or maybe not even) how that is for you.

You wrote that you basically have no data on your diagnose; your have a right to that data and should ask for it. It is a vital element for the knowledgeable folks here to help you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Funny, I took to it like a cat to cool milk.  Seriously.  I got into trouble with an arrhythmia near the end of a daily run, scared the aitch out of me.  After months of waiting to see a cardiologist and then several kinds of tests, the last thing to figure out the puzzle was a sleep lab.  That's where they found I had severe apnea, and where I realized my daughter was onto something when she complained of my snoring one morning at her and her husband's cabin earlier in the year.

I just accepted it as a new development, and that there was help.  When I got the help, I had to learn how to adapt, but I REALLY wanted the help.  That....uh....helped.

Comfort is huge in this treatment.  All the 'correction' in the world won't help if you simply can't abide it.  So, grit yer teeth and figure out how to shim, cut, stick, tape, prod, goad, shoehorn, and staple something that will let you live with your new BFF.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome..

Tips-

Don't expect an improvement on day one, it can take weeks or months to fine tune it to perfection for you.

Allow yourself time to get used to all the "unusual-ness" of using a mask and machine.

You will make small steps forward, and the occasional backwards step, but in the end you will benefit from it.

Use the search function in this forum as well as asking questions.

The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask (we've all been newbies ourselves).

You will find an amazing amount of information and experience throughout this group.

Good luck on your journey ahead with CPAP.
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Snorriette,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

Start looking around and consider what mask you want.  I am claustrophobic, and choose the ResMed P10 mask because of that.  It is a nasal pillow mask.  As long as you don't mouth breath, it is one to consider.

Have you chosen a Cpap yet?  Read this:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_choices

While your waiting for your machine, visit the Wiki (link at top of page), lots of good reading there.  

Also, read through some of the thread titles that may interest you, and feel free to ask questions.

Good luck!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.  We can and will kelp you. Well, maybe not with dental trauma.

I remember the 2-foot long shot apparatus (hey I was a kid) and then he went to work.  Well, the shots didn't work and I was near passing out from the pain.  I swear the pain bot me in the next county.  I thought it was all that way.  The same with CPAP therapy.  I knew nothing when I started, much like where you are right now.

First you have some control on all this.  A question, would you buy a dress that didn't fit?  Of course not.  CPAP machines are kind of like that, many different models.  While the literature says that they are all the same in reality they are not.  The algorithms that they use are different.  How they react to your body and your apnea are all different.  We will help guide you along the way.

Any question that you have ask them here, in this thread. This is YOUR thread.  This will keep everything here about your therapy in one place.

Get a full copy of your sleep studies. (Prescriptions too) Not just the summary, but the art and charts as well.  They often contain important info that is not even mentioned in the summary.  If you post redacted sleep studies here we can help you with what to discuss with your doctor.

Two big choices are coming.  Machine and Mask.  You will not be told but you have control of these.  You can choose.

The Machine:  The DME, who you will actually get your machine from has a profit motive.  Insurance pays them the same no matter what make and model of CPAP you get.  The cheaper the one they give you the more money they make.  Do you want your dress made out of cheesecloth or silk?  Easy answer, unless you don't know the difference.

DATA is a real big thing. It is what let's you, us, and your doctor know what is going on.  Here most use OSCAR.  OSCAR reports down to the breath by breath level if it is needed.  This reveals much of what is going on.  You will get more detail later but the most common CPAP machine to recommend here is the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet or the AutoSet for Her variant.  The keyword is AutoSet, not AirSense.

The Mask: This is the hard part simply because everyone's face is different.  Every chance you get ask about masks.  IMHO, because of your claustrophobia start small and unobtrusive.
1st choice, the smallest, quietest, least obtrusive mask out there, the ResMed P10 Pillow Mask.  Normally I just say Pillow mask.  This simply rests under (not in) the nose.
2: Nasal mask, these cover just the nose.  The frames for these vary considerably.
3: Full Face Mask.  These are the largest and cover both the mouth and nose.

finally when you do get your machine, use it, under pressure, before bed.  Read a book, watch TV, play games on you phone, anything you like to do.  The idea is to get used to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board.

I could state all the above again, but it's not necessary. I'll just mention the most important 3. Mask ResMed P10 should be looked at before others. ResMed is the brand of device, no matter which model. AutoSet is likely the one. Third, get the redacted detailed sleep study posted.

Best to your success. BTW nobody here carries dental drills or needles full of novacaine. That drill sound...

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
try wearing it while not sleeping, just the mask.... a nasal pillow set up rather than a full mask.

As far as sleeping on your back, I use a ball in a pocket t shirt on backwards. Also I don't use a tennis ball , a dog toy tennis ball.. they are small and do the trick.

Wish you well on your therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi snoreyet,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck as you start CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Admin Note] Wanted: ResMed AirCurve 11 Clinical Guides (Clinician Manuals) SuperSleeper 1 251 03-01-2024, 09:14 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  [Treatment] Excessive Sleepiness Despite "Good" Data. Advice Wanted iamverysleepy 2 673 10-19-2023, 05:59 PM
Last Post: iamverysleepy
  *Info wanted* wrist oxygen monitor spetzal 4 806 01-21-2023, 02:21 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Opinions wanted - Stop or Continue PAP after wake up B1Sailor 14 1,291 10-09-2022, 08:22 PM
Last Post: B1Sailor
  Wanted: Breas Z2 Clinician Manual msenkpiel 1 1,253 02-25-2022, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Wanted: HDM Z2 CPAP Clinician Manual breathfree 2 1,824 07-24-2021, 05:41 PM
Last Post: breathfree
  [Treatment] Hey everyone! Wanted to get some opinions on my OSCAR data, if possible. UARS/OSA x3n1p 6 1,020 12-29-2020, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.