Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Sounds like it gets cut off or bogged down at night
Question 
Sounds like it gets cut off or bogged down at night
Hi everyone! I am new and am really looking for some help if anyone has it.  My husband has a Philips Respironics Dreamstation DSX200H11, that he has had about three years now.  I have noticed in the night that instead of the consistent blowing and regular noises I come accustomed to, the machine is waking me up with really loud sounds, almost like the tube is cut off?? Or the machine is bogged down?? It is hard to explain.  He says he does not feel like the air supply is not coming through...but it sounds like he and the machine are struggling.  I really hope that made some sense!!

Has anyone had the same problem with their machines?  I found this community because it took me YEARS to get my husband to finally go to the doctor and get this diagnosis.  I am so grateful! But since insurance will not replace the machine for another year he is procrastinating getting anything done about this......any help would be so appreciated!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sounds like it gets cut off or bogged down at night
I would suspect that there is a leak of some kind. Perhaps the mask was dislodged on his face. Or, potentially the hose was partially crimped if he lay on it. Posting some data from the machine using Oscar may be a good idea for everyone to better be able to analyze what is going on. See the links in my signature on how to do that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you!! We will do that!!
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have the DSX200 as stated in your profile, then your machine can only show basic compliance data.
It is not a data capable machine.

Some things to try: check your hose for any possible crimping or leaks and change the air filter. Also, unplug the machine from its power source, wait a few minutes and plug back in. Are your getting any error messages?

What about his mask? Sometimes the noise may sound like it's coming from the machine, but actually may be from his mask. Is is worn or in need of replacement?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good catch OpalRose. Taconerly, when it comes time to replace the machine, please make sure to have read the following forum item before allowing them to give you a non data capable machine. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ew-machine
Post Reply Post Reply
This is the lowest end of CPAP sold. Since it does not produce data, I would take it back to the supplier that dispensed it to see if it is under warranty, and ask them to either repair or replace it. Your husband would get much better results if he could see the efficacy data to optimize therapy. Try to get it exchanged for the Dreamstation Auto or Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. For insurance purposes, the cheapest machine (DSX200) and the most expensive machine (Airsense 10 Autoset) are all reimbursed the same. The cost to you is the same. So why would you have gotten the brick? Your supplier put profits ahead of your husband's care. Try to get this swapped out, and before you are due for a new machine (usually 5 years), check back here on the forum so this does not happen again. We will help steer you to the better machines and strategies not to get thrown a brick.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night everything was clear and straight (for sure) and for the first time in a few weeks the machine and my husband DID NOT STRUGGLE! I thank all of you so much! I know is was such a simple fix but wow I was really feeling so helpless yesterday!

I am still going to let him know about every comment I have gotten from all of you and encourage him to create a profile of his own so he can get a better device and just have support and guidance through all of this!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 849 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 897 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  my Aircurve 10 ASV sounds like a calf looking for its mother Cow! oldfart59 23 8,190 03-15-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 11 makes "puffing" sounds after power off alexbtr 3 3,567 08-11-2022, 12:52 PM
Last Post: alexbtr
  Dreamwear loud sounds Mersim85 0 536 10-26-2021, 03:04 PM
Last Post: Mersim85
  Great Night into Terrible Night dcsleep 1 1,109 12-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Resmed auto sense10 sounds like vacuum cleaner Beaumont1124 3 2,494 11-27-2020, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Mercergirl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.