Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Kaiser Senior Advantage: CPAPs
Kaiser Senior Advantage: CPAPs
Kaiser Senior Advantage is much different than most Medicare plans in regards to CPAP purchase. All CPAP DME goes through Apria. Purchases of CPAP DME formulary are 20% copay.

The CPAP, itself, is not purchased by the patient. It is rented by Kaiser to the patient, much like a cable box. I believe the rental payments are 13 months, after which the use remains with the patient but ownership remains with Kaiser.

At this point, not a problem unless the patient changes Medicare Advantage providers. The CPAP then reverts back to Kaiser. Not a problem for me, as I've been a Kaiser member for almost 50 years.

A Plus: the CPAP is warranted for four years.

Cloudy: After four years, who pays for repairs and how much? After five years, Kaiser appears not issue another CPAP unless there is a problem with the CPAP that cannot be repaired.

Also cloudy: I don't know if the CPAP issued is unused!

Apria is not a culprit in this scenario except they are trying to get me to get a new BiPAP immediately and are sketchy about what happens after four years. I might walk down to the Kaiser Business Office and talk to them.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Kaiser Senior Advantage: CPAPs
My brother in law is a Kaiser Senior Advantage member for many years, but not as many as you.
It appears he had a 20% copayment up front on a straight purchase.
This however was a second go round for him. The first machine never made it out of the trunk of his car. It was returned after several months.
The second machine he uses sporadically but seldom for 4 hours in one night. He does have insomnia and sleeps in sporadic chunks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Kaiser Senior Advantage: CPAPs
I've been a Kaiser member since age 16 with my own membership, not as a dependent. I've only been a Senior Advantage member for a couple of months. My current BiPAP was purchased and is mine. I have to get the terms of the new BiPAP directly from the Kaiser Business office. Apria just wants to put a machine in my hand. They offered to send me one right now. But if it's not done right, I'll be out $2200.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare (US) and CPAPs KSMatthew 4 383 12-16-2023, 10:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Noisy Fans in New CPAPs stevew77 0 389 09-28-2023, 06:11 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  [CPAP] Machine trial with Kaiser KKoelle 5 692 08-08-2023, 11:52 AM
Last Post: KKoelle
  looking for a critique? senior members? advise? please help Dchurch 2 507 03-28-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Dchurch
  Advice on buying rental CPAPS online fincy 2 703 06-21-2022, 04:46 PM
Last Post: SleepinAZ
  Medicare CPAP for Forgetful Senior webmanoffesto 19 1,509 01-21-2022, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Kaiser insurance coverage blancobonzo 9 3,678 10-02-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: hegel

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.