Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Kathlen's Therapy Thread
Kathlen's Therapy Thread
New here. New to using CPAP machine.  Where would you suggest a newbie start in the forums. Thanks.
I need to ask my Dr. so many more questions, now that I’ve started on the machine.4 days so far. I assumed once I began the therapy my sleep apnea would disappear. Lol. Nope.
Kathlen
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie
Welcome to the board... The first thing you need to do is download OSCAR.  It is totally free at the top of the site.  Everything we do here is with data furnished by OSCAR.  You will need a SD card in the machine while you sleep.  If your machine did not come with a SD card, they are inexpensive - you need a card from 2 gb to  32 gb - larger will not work. You can get one anywhere - target, best buy, walmart.

You own a good machine but most of the time it is not set up for you.  They put it at 4 min and 20 max and hand it over - and for the most part you are on your own.  That is where we can help using OSCAR we can suggest better settings that will make your sleep better and reduce your apnea.

Here is a link telling you about OSCAR.  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Help

Please take a look at it and after a nights sleep with the SD card and oscar you can get a screenshot of your night and post it here.  WE WILL HELP!
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, Stacy. I’ll get to Walmart Mon. for the SD. Meantime I’ll look at the link you provided. 

I don’t understand the 4 minute-20 minute max item you mentioned. 

I rent the machine from a local company. It is how my Dr. arranged it. 

Thanks again, Stacy.
Post Reply Post Reply
The 4-20 Stacey mentions is probably the default pressure set that comes on CPAP out of the box so to speak. Translation is your doctor didn't sweat over trying to give you specific for you settings that is pretty much guaranteed to be better with a small edit. That is once we see OSCAR data.

PS it still somewhat applies to your 4-12 setup. Almost no adult does well starting at 4. That's the sucking air through a straw territory.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oscar Installation
Unfortunately I only have my iPhone 12. OS 15.4  
Don’t use windows at all. 
Don’t have Linux
Have Safari, Brave, & 
Firefox. 
Sadly I can’t d/l OSCAR
Post Reply Post Reply
The 4 to 20 reference is in regards to the pressure your CPAP machine is set up at.  Assuming you have an auto-CPAP, it can be set up to operate between a range of pressures.  The minimum pressure is 4 cmH2O of pressure, the maximum is 20 cmH2O of pressure.

In most cases, you'll get better therapy by fine-tuning your pressures to a tighter range of pressures than simply "wide-open" at a range of 4-20 cmH2O.  That's why downloading and running the OSCAR software on your PC will help (so we can see what's going on with your specific machine).

Some doctors or DMEs (Durable Medical Equipment suppliers) just set the machine to the minimum & maximum setting (4-20) and let it go at that.  That's a poor way to set up a patient's CPAP, but unfortunately, that's what many medical professionals do.

First thing for you to do is get that SD card, insert it into your machine and use your machine for a couple of nights.  See the link in staceyburke's post above for more info about OSCAR.

Then, once you have some data, start a new thread in the Main Forum, and title it something like "Kathlen's Therapy Thread".  Then, after organizing your charts, take some screenshots and post them in that new thread.  It's important to keep most of your therapy-related questions and posts in that one thread - it helps others see all of your pertinent info so they can help you fine-tune your CPAP therapy for the best results.

Welcome
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dave. 
It does start @ 4.0. 
I’m not real happy with company & Dr at this point. I definitely will be calling both on Monday. 
Meantime I cannot d/l Oscar.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, didn't see your post in time.  Since you don't have a PC to run OSCAR, I'll go ahead and rename this thread "Kathlen's Therapy Thread" and move it into the Main Forum.  You should be able to get some information out of your CPAP machine that will help to fine-tune your settings.  It's just going to be a bit more difficult and time-consuming than doing it with OSCAR.

First thing is to learn more about your machine and how to get into the "Clinician Setup Mode" which allows you to change clinicial settings if need be.  Also, read the user manual that came with your machine - and specifically look for the AHI, which measures the effectiveness of your treatment, and the actual pressure ranges your machine is set to deliver.

To get the Clinician Manual, email me at apneaboard@gmail.com and put "Setup Manual" in the subject field, and then tell me which specific machine you have.

For setup instructions with pictures, go here:
https://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-airsen...setup-info
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
OK you can post what your machine stats are on the PAP screen in that new thread with your able. Make sure to request getting your PAP manual at the top link. Don't be too surprised about your treatment from the doc and DME. Almost all of us had about the same thing. That's why we're here.

Welcome to the board.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Kathlen's Therapy Thread
You list "AirSense 11" in your profile - that's the machine series you have, but we also need to know which specific model you have.

The likely possibilities are:

ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet
ResMed AirSense 11 Elite
ResMed AirSense 11 CPAP

You should be able to see which one you have on the front of the machine.
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lanners - Therapy Help Lanners 26 1,002 38 minutes ago
Last Post: Lanners
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 28 846 Yesterday, 09:53 PM
Last Post: jakespeare65
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,086 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 178 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 260 03-27-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,272 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,367 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.