Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fischer Paykell
Humidifier: SystemOne
CPAP Pressure: 11.5
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Keep sleep-study autopap?
I finally got set up for a home sleep study from my HMO today, to check my pressure which hasn't been changed in a few years. I was told that I would be billed $500 if I didn't return the autopap machine they gave me to use at home for three nights.

Since this is actually quite a reasonable price, can anyone give me a good reason not to claim to have somehow lost the autopap, pay the 500 bucks, and never set foot in the office, or pay a sleep-related copay, again?

BTW, don't bother with ethical concerns. You wouldn't after dealing with this organization. . . trust me.
06-12-2015 12:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
big_dave Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR System One DS560
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: F&P Pilairo Q or ResMed Mirage Activa
Humidifier: PR System One
CPAP Pressure: 14 - 20

Other Comments: Former ResMed S8 Autoset II user

Sex: Male

RE: Keep sleep-study autopap?
Actually, $500 is expensive for a used machine. I don't see an ethical problem with keeping the loaner and paying the fee, but it's not a good deal by any means. You will want to check the machine hours in the clinical menu to decide if it's worthwhile. Be aware that therapy hours and blower hours can be reset back to zero, but machine hours cannot. Who knows how many other people have used it.

To get into the clinical menu, turn the knob to setup, and then hold down both buttons for 5 seconds until the machine beeps. Then, select info, and the machine hours will be near the bottom of the menu.

Edit: Even if the machine hours seem reasonable, keep in mind that it may have been shipped through FedEx or UPS twice for every 8 machine hours (approximately). (Don't know if you picked it up from their office or they shipped it to you.)
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2015 01:23 AM by big_dave.)
06-12-2015 01:07 AM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

I agree with big_dave. Check with Supplier 2 before you decide. See what they have comparable. Call and ask about machine hours and that you want one with as little as possible. They try to accommodate requests.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-12-2015 02:47 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
BadGoodDeb Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 for Her
Humidifier: no
CPAP Pressure: 8 (testing 7.8-10)

Other Comments: New to AirSense 10 and AirFit P10, but 4 years on prev unit

Sex: Female

You might want to look at prices for other lightly used machines, at Supplier #2, using the "supplier list" at the top of the page (4th line down). I've never dealth with them, but I was looking around on their site when I was contemplating a travel machine.
06-12-2015 02:50 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Waiting for sleep study results...got Pulse Ox in the meanwhile jds2001 10 241 12-01-2016 03:13 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  sending sleep study to another doctor's office sleepytimegal 3 206 11-30-2016 10:26 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  Accuracy of Resmed AS10 vs Sleep Study Type IMSleeplessInSeattle 5 418 11-28-2016 12:11 AM
Last Post: sleepytimegal
  Sleep Study: Nasal vs. Full Mask harmon k 2 284 11-20-2016 06:38 PM
Last Post: harmon k
  When is it time to get another sleep study done. duece12345 7 332 11-19-2016 11:51 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Question [Diagnosis] Sleep Study Report: Lowest Desaturation vs Lowest Saturation blueelement2016 4 246 11-09-2016 02:37 AM
Last Post: blueelement2016
  home sleep study problem garretdl 5 367 10-14-2016 02:39 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred