Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Keep switching to mouth breathing (during REM?)
RE: Keep switching to mouth breathing (during REM?)
I think you are on the right track with relating it to REM or other sleep state. Many of us do something similar in that when in REM, the muscles relax and our jaws drop. Whilst it is open we breathe through our mouths. 

If you have a smart watch that can reasonably accurately determine sleep states, it would provide more information to consider. I know in my case my mouth breathing occurs during REM and using the SCC helps me avoid most of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I assume it would be difficult to determine whether in my case the mouth breathing is a result of relaxed jaw during REM sleep vs nasal obstruction during REM? On one hand the flow rate looks ok leading up to the mouth breathing, on the other hand a chinstrap has been unsuccessful. Regardless, I greatly appreciate the help and think I will try a full face mask next.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's more than just jaw drop, it's complete loss of muscle tone from sleep paralysis. This is a "feature" patched in to stop us from acting out our dreams. Whatever muscles used to keep your nasal and oral cavities separate will relax in REM, if this causes your mouth to leak air you need to do something to stop that from happening, either continuing with myofunctional exercises or something else to accommodate the relaxation like tape.
Look, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! Please don't take my opinion as a substitute for medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since you have only been at this for a week, I would not worry about the leaks or the wake ups right now.  The leaks are not high enough to interfere with your therapy, and wake ups so early in therapy usually go away as your body and brain have more time to adjust.  Give yourself time.  You are doing great!
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Whats wrong with mouth breathing? johnathanb76 2 32 12 minutes ago
Last Post: johnathanb76
  Is this mouth breathing on flow r. Experiencing aerophagia with pressure above 6cmH20 Jonkier 1 131 04-24-2024, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Narcil
  Anyone else have trouble breathing through their nose when sleeping? POOKISTAN 7 249 04-23-2024, 06:12 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 10 1,425 04-23-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 3 179 04-21-2024, 08:23 PM
Last Post: cps22
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 3 217 04-20-2024, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 12 978 04-19-2024, 06:40 AM
Last Post: SeePak

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.