Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Keeping the mask on in my sleep
Keeping the mask on in my sleep
I am a very happy user of CPAP therapy. I know how much better I feel during the day when I've slept a good night's sleep with the mask on. However, the past week or so I'm running into problems.

For some reason, I am taking the mask off in my sleep.

I don't even remember doing it, but I wake up, and the mask is beside my head. I am very concerned, because I NEED this therapy, it makes me feel so very much better, and here I am sabotaging myself every night.

Could you guys help me brainstorm for reasons why people take the mask off in their sleep? Do you have any tricks to help you with your compliance? The only thing I can think of to do, is to set an alarm for myself 4 hours into my sleep to check and see if the mask is still on. If it isn't, at least I have the rest of the night to try again, as opposed to me waking up in the morning and missing a night's therapy.

Any suggestions? There might be something really obvious that you've checked out with your machine, or a trick you've learned, that I'm missing. I'd greatly appreciate ANY help or advice here.

Thank you! Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Keeping the mask on in my sleep
This happened to me sometimes when I first started CPAP therapy. After a week or two, I stopped taking it off unconsciously. Never found out why I did that, other that it was somewhat uncomfortable. I just got used to the mask over time and never took it off after that, I guess.

I suppose strapping your hands to the bedposts is out of the question. Thinking-about Bigwink

Will be interesting to see other ideas. Smile
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Keeping the mask on in my sleep
Hi Greggers,
You are still fairly early on in your therapy so you could try to set up and wear your mask and use your machine during the evening when you are reading or watching tv and hopefuly that will get your body used to it before you go to sleep. Or you could try your suggestion with the alarm. Hopefully when you do that you will get back to sleep quickly enough.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 208 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Woke up feeling air starved, turned machine off fell back to sleep but with mask on Phil487 7 864 01-20-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Phil487
Question [CPAP] Sleep Data - removing mask in sleep James87 10 620 01-04-2024, 11:38 AM
Last Post: James87
Question Mother's ResMed Astral 150 not keeping oxygen level high enough/what should I ask? Helena 4 514 12-13-2023, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New mask, thoughts on my sleep data? SleepyMcDonald 1 402 11-08-2023, 11:13 AM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.