Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Kermit has SA
Kermit has SA
In the latest episode of the new television series The Muppets, a modernised take on the adventure of Kermit, Piggy, et al from The Muppet Show fame, Kermit the Frog tells a guest star that he is using a CPAP. I guess all that croaking made his throat lax....

There is something heartening about this health problem getting out into popular culture - well done, Muppets for raising awareness....
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Kermit has SA
Thanks for paving the way for me, Doc! Sleep Apnea is no laughing matter and I'm glad my writers have decided to raise sleep apnea awareness for our viewers.

For me personally, it's not easy, being green and all. People don't take me seriously. What's more-- Miss Piggy probably has OSA too but as usual, she doesn't believe me when I tell her she snores like a pig.

Anyway, I'd like you all to know that Apnea Board is my favorite sleep apnea forum!

I-love-Apnea-Board

Post Reply Post Reply
hi-ho there kermit Big Grin
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Kermit, thanks for joining this elite group! Miss Piggy will be jealous. Cool
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep apnea in humans is largely an effect of our as yet incomplete evolution from quadruped to biped. The right angle bend in the airway caused by rotating the head forward in order to stand upright messes the airway up. The jaw sliding back blocks the airway in a way it doesn't with a quadruped.

Kermit, you need to get back down on all fours and quit standing up and pretending to be a human.

I've been developing a new apnea therapy called QPAP (Quadropedal Positional Apnea Prevention) for humans. There are two versions.

Human forearms are too short for effective quadrupedal locomotion, so version one, QPAP-P (Prosthetic) involves arm prosthesis so humans can more comfortably walk in a natural position with the spine horizontal and the head tilted backup to it's normal position, straightening the airway.

The problem is not actually the quadrupedal position, but bending the head forward 90 degrees to see forward. The second version QPAP-E (extension) involves bending the head back to keep the airway straight. Since you would be looking up into the sky this way, QPQP-E involves a pair of periscope type devices fitted over the eyes, so that you see properly despite your eyes pointing at the ceiling.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2015, 07:50 PM)archangle Wrote: Kermit, you need to get back down on all fours and quit standing up and pretending to be a human.

Yeah we don't want you to croak on us
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad to be of help, Main Frog. I am glad, too, that your writers feel the importance of this. Keep up the good work, your contribution to this world is greatly appreciated.

By the way, I figured Piggy for an apnoeac back in the first season of the Muppet Show, along with Link and doctor Strangepork.

W.

(11-11-2015, 06:05 PM)Kermit-the-Frog Wrote: Thanks for paving the way for me, Doc! Sleep Apnea is no laughing matter and I'm glad my writers have decided to raise sleep apnea awareness for our viewers.

For me personally, it's not easy, being green and all. People don't take me seriously. What's more-- Miss Piggy probably has OSA too but as usual, she doesn't believe me when I tell her she snores like a pig.

Anyway, I'd like you all to know that Apnea Board is my favorite sleep apnea forum!

I-love-Apnea-Board

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2015, 07:50 PM)archangle Wrote: Kermit, you need to get back down on all fours and quit standing up and pretending to be a human.

Okay, but how long do I have to stay like this? The blood is starting to rush to my head.

[Image: th_2df52a51.gif]

[Image: 6a298460ff819e813bfa29da390910ce.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2015, 07:50 PM)archangle Wrote: Sleep apnea in humans is largely an effect of our as yet incomplete evolution from quadruped to biped. The right angle bend in the airway caused by rotating the head forward in order to stand upright messes the airway up. The jaw sliding back blocks the airway in a way it doesn't with a quadruped.

Kermit, you need to get back down on all fours and quit standing up and pretending to be a human.

I've been developing a new apnea therapy called QPAP (Quadropedal Positional Apnea Prevention) for humans. There are two versions.

Human forearms are too short for effective quadrupedal locomotion, so version one, QPAP-P (Prosthetic) involves arm prosthesis so humans can more comfortably walk in a natural position with the spine horizontal and the head tilted backup to it's normal position, straightening the airway.

The problem is not actually the quadrupedal position, but bending the head forward 90 degrees to see forward. The second version QPAP-E (extension) involves bending the head back to keep the airway straight. Since you would be looking up into the sky this way, QPQP-E involves a pair of periscope type devices fitted over the eyes, so that you see properly despite your eyes pointing at the ceiling.

Was wondering if perhaps it was due to us sleeping with our head propped up? Do other primates do that?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2015, 02:11 AM)Weird Tolkienish Figure Wrote: Was wondering if perhaps it was due to us sleeping with our head propped up? Do other primates do that?

Yes, they do, as do other mammals, cats, for instance, often prop their heads on their paws. Chimps are known to use rocks, logs and grasses to prop their heads, gorillas are often observed propping their heads with their arms.

They also snore. So do cats. Snoring is not just a human thing. It is possible, although it has not been tested, that apnoea is also not just a human thing, although it would be most prevalent and dangerous in humans, and the mechanisms for OSA might be different than in other animals.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.