GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

Sex: Female

Keurig machine question
My younger son has a Keurig 2.0 coffee machine he received as a Christmas gift last year. He is weary of buying those little K-cups and would like a re-usable cup that he can put his own freshly ground coffee beans in. Does anyone know of such a thing, and does it work well?
09-06-2015 09:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
pholynyk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 APAP
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Amara View
Humidifier: included
CPAP Pressure: 11-17

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Keurig machine question
If you Google 'Keurig 2.0 hack' you will find lots of information. Some of it may be useful... :grin:

Sleep-well
09-06-2015 10:21 PM
foss Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Autosense 10
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Amara View FFM
Humidifier: Resmed
CPAP Pressure: 9 - 13.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Marine Chemist, Science Teacher & Counselor, Internet Server Admistrator

My wife's sister has a Keurig and uses a small filter cup that is available at WalMart. It works about as well as the standard plastic cups.

Jeff

Sleep is worth the effort.
09-06-2015 10:36 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PollCat Offline
Apnea Board Polling Administrator
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: H5i Cleanable with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18

Other Comments: CPAP-ing since 1995; Type 2 Diabetes; Chronic Asthma; Gout

We have a couple of these small filtering cups to use in our Keurig. The secret is to remember to rinse/wash them out after each use. Banana
09-07-2015 08:07 AM
SaldusMiegas Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: P-10, F&P Simplus
Humidifier: integrated
CPAP Pressure: Rx:14, Set:Auto 8.0-15.0

Other Comments: Woot! P-10 pillows plus Ruby chinstrap for side-sleeping mouth breathers

GrammaBear,

Since you specified Keurig 2.0 you probably already know this, but just to clarify any confusion...

When Keurig introduced their first machine it was immensely successful, and like all the printer companies do on proprietary ink cartridges, Keurig made a killing on their consumable proprietary K-cup coffee cartridges. As soon as the original patent expired, other companies started making generic knock-off K-cups and people could now avoid the expensive proprietary K-cups, even buy reusable K-cup knockoffs and use their own coffee.

Keurig anticipated this, and they introduced the Keurig 2.0 with an important new "feature" they didn't say much about which prevented the machine from brewing coffee unless a genuine K-cup 2.0 cup was inserted. With that one engineering change to the new coffee machine, all the knock-offs and reusable cups that work fine in the older machine would be useless in the new machines until the patents expire on the 2.0 k-cup technology.

Keurig was back on top in a position to dominate the market again either through proprietary K-cup products they directly manufactured or they could license the K-cup 2.0 "technology" to other manufacturers and still get a nice little piece of every sale.

The way it all happened kind of pissed some people off, but by the time they found out, most people had already bought the 2.0 coffee machine and used all the sample coffee that came with it. Perhaps even purchased a pack of old style k-cups or 3rd party knock-offs that wouldn't brew in their new machine. So for Keurig 2.0 owners there was really no going back.

A lot of buzz arose on the internet about how to get around this and some ideas for workarounds began to be posted on youtube and social media.

The first wave was mostly DIY Keurig owners started looking for answers and workarounds. Some people suggested Keurig must be using Digital Rights Management technology in their cups (similar to inkjet print cartridges). You can find youtube videos of people who recommend cutting the top off a geniuine K-cup 2.0 and taping or gluing it over and over again on top of each knock-off K-cup you use to brew coffee.

Keurig quietly watched all this and was probably amused since most people aren't going to jump through all these nasty hoops for a cup of coffee.

More recently some manufacturers who were hurt by the Keurig 2.0 move began to study the problem and seem to have zeroed in on a lower tech solution. They guessed maybe it's a special pattern in the printing on the cap of a K-cup that could be replicated somehow without violating Keurig's patents or copyrights.

And so some knock-off companies now include a little reusable clip you place on top of their k-cup cartridges which they promise will make their knock-off products work with the Keurig 2.0 coffee maker.

I don't have a solution for you and I have avoided buying a Keurig so far because v2.0 came out just when I was seriously considering getting one and I don't like the idea of expensive proprietary coffee cups. But hopefully this sheds some light on what the issues are with the Keurig v2.0.

The good news is a lot of people and companies are working on how to defeat the Keurig proprietary technology. It's probably just a matter of time until they "jail break" the Keurig 2.0 machine with some useful and sanitary workaround that most people are willing to do. May have already done this since I stopped paying close attention when I decided I didn't want a Keurig coffee machine.

Bottom line from my observation is that Pholynyk nailed it:
"If you Google 'Keurig 2.0 hack' you will find lots of information. Some of it may be useful... Grin"

So the message here is YES there appear to be several approaches you can follow to get around the Keurig 2.0 issue. The cheap and easy knock-off products worked really well for the older coffee machine and so the form-fit-function of knock off cups is well established. But Keurig thew a technology curve ball on the 2.0 machine to prevent people from using the 3rd party k-cups.

The answer is out there or soon will be, but you need to do your research and pursue the solutions that make sense to you.

As always... take everything you read on the internet with a grain of salt, and of course remember that you are reading this post on the internet. Smile

Saldus Miegas
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2015 10:19 AM by SaldusMiegas.)
09-07-2015 09:58 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

You can find them at Jeff Bezos' online emporium.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
09-07-2015 10:00 AM
foss Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Autosense 10
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Amara View FFM
Humidifier: Resmed
CPAP Pressure: 9 - 13.4

Other Comments: Marine Chemist, Science Teacher & Counselor, Internet Server Admistrator

All of that effort, and expense (machine & cups) for a mediocre cup of coffee?

Sleep is worth the effort.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2015 11:25 AM by foss.)
09-07-2015 11:23 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Crimson Nape Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: P-10 / F&P Simplus / DreamWear
Humidifier: H5i w/Climateline
CPAP Pressure: 8 - EPR 3

Other Comments: CMS-50F & 50IW

In April this year, Keurig announced that it had heard customer's complaints, about not being able to use a basket, and was developing one that would work in the 2.0 system. So far nothing has been posted about its release.

Statistics prove that people who have more birthdays live longer.
09-07-2015 11:40 AM
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

We have the original keurig and use the "My K-Cup" to put in our own grounds.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
09-07-2015 11:56 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

Sex: Female

I also have the original Keurig, given to me as a gift. My husband does not care for coffee, he is a tea drinker. I like the idea that I can have one or two cups of coffee without having to fix a whole carafe only to have it be wasted.

My younger son is an avid coffee drinker and very particular, up to a point, about coffee. He is a single Dad with a lot of student loans to pay off, so he got tired of buying the K-cups like Saldus Miegas mentions in his post. I was under the impression that K-cups fit all versions of Keurig, but after buying several boxes of what seemed to be a good buy (price wise)....he said "Mom, these things don't fit my machine." So we found out the hard way that Keurig doesn't always 'play fair' and they do have a monoply on their machines..

I did find this link when searching the Internet this morning and I'm wondering IF it might work in the 2.0 machine??

[commercial link removed, please instead search eBay for "Ekobrew Elite Reusable K-Cup Filter for Keurig"] Our local grocery store has this model for a lot LESS than the price stated on eBay.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2015 01:25 PM by GrammaBear.)
09-07-2015 01:24 PM