Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Kids using CPAP: Any advice or thread links?
Question 
Kids using CPAP: Any advice or thread links?
Hi folks,

Are there any threads on here about helping small children begin using CPAP? I am new to this forum and didn't find much with my first attempts to search.

I am asking for a 4-year-old who is having a hard time with a new CPAP. TIA!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Kids using CPAP: Any advice or thread links?
Filling in the equipment profile with something more complete than nah might allow those with knowledge to focus on solutions rather than just guess.
I know it is probably more difficult for you then your 4 year old to deal with this.
Making a game out of it may help. Does he know who Darth Vader is? Or maybe a jet pilot or astronaut. They all wear a mask too.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sleepymcsleeperson,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I think there was someone on here sometime back, who had a child that needed to use CPAP but I haven't found that link, I know it's here somewhere though.
Maybe if you made a game out of wearing the CPAP, it would make it easier for your little one.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you and your child and getting settled in with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks folks. I'm interested to learn about masks that have worked for small kids or introduction methods that helped them acclimate to PAP, irrespective of pressure range or other tech specs. It's hard for a little one to understand not being supposed to take something off their face, and most kids have their worst break-downs when tired, so that makes everything even harder.
Post Reply Post Reply
Years ago, a neighbor had a young child who had to have oxygen at night. They 'practiced' during the day. At night, if the kid was fussy, Mom or Dad would simply hook up everything after the kid was sleeping. Many kids sleep like rocks, so not a problem.

A good person to ask for specifics on this would be a local pediatric nurse. I'm sure they are used to this kind of problem no matter what the age of the child.
Post Reply Post Reply
It would help us to provide better advice if you would complete equipment section of your user profile to show what your child is using.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Having the child wear the mask for a while at a time during the day will help with bedtime, this will help them get used to it so it wont be foreign to them when they go to bed. this is how i got used to mine and it worked great
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleepy, let us know how it is going with your child. There are child size masks out there, and we'd need to know more about the prescribed settings and the machine, etc. to help you both out better.

One thing to remember is that little kids have little lungs, and any pressure changes will be magnified to them.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-08-2015, 09:34 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: Years ago, a neighbor had a young child who had to have oxygen at night. They 'practiced' during the day. At night, if the kid was fussy, Mom or Dad would simply hook up everything after the kid was sleeping. Many kids sleep like rocks, so not a problem.

A good person to ask for specifics on this would be a local pediatric nurse. I'm sure they are used to this kind of problem no matter what the age of the child.

Both of these. At the age of 4, if he's not liking the idea of it, put it on after he's asleep. Online friend of mine does that with her kid's leg braces that he has to sleep in. He goes to sleep much faster and happier without them and once he's out, she goes in and puts them on. He never wakes up.

As for the masks, there are some pediatric masks available. Not many, unfortunately. Try as many as you can to see which ones the child will tolerate yet leak the least. It is a delicate balance even us adults deal with.

http://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/pro...atric.html
http://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/pro...idsta.html
http://www.healthcare.philips.com/main/h...tricmasks/

Resmed also has the Mirage Micro which can fit kid faces.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2015, 10:54 PM)sleepymcsleeperson Wrote: Hi folks,

Are there any threads on here about helping small children begin using CPAP? I am new to this forum and didn't find much with my first attempts to search.

I am asking for a 4-year-old who is having a hard time with a new CPAP. TIA!

I don't know of any threads out there pertaining to small children, but there are some things you can try to make it fun or like an adventure.
Things like snugglehose products. They have a pediatric line of products that small kids would like. Check out their web site. Snugg------.com
Good luck. Smile

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 295 3 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,072 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 171 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,268 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 862 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,797 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 966 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.