Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Knee Replacement
Knee Replacement
Has anyone here had knee replacement?   I found out I have severe osteoarthritis in one of my knees and the other isn't far behind.

Wondering if it was worth it or not in terms of quality of life.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: Knee Replacement
My mother-in law had both knees replaced. They worked out well for her. She was always in pain and could barely get around with a cane before the replacement. She gets around well without a cane now. She says she would do it again.
Useful Links
Download SleepyHead
Organize your SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
A neighbor friend had both knees done. He told me that other than having to prep before going to the dentist, he wished he had done it sooner.
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife had a replacement performed this past August. The replaced knee was hopelessly damaged by a history of surgery and arthritis, and it severely affected her ability to continue many important activities to her, including walking down hill, stairs, dancing, bicycling, etc. She recovered more range of motion before she returned to work in October, than she had before the replacement. Several months later, she is able to do pretty much all the activities that had become impossible. She may eventually need the other replaced, but fortunately with the worse one replaced, the other knee is not under nearly as much stress.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the input! I think I'm leaning towards it. I want to drop as much weight as I can before doing it so it may be awhile.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
I've not had it done personally. Mom has had to get both replaced, and I know it's helped. But just like any other surgery, YMMV. Be aware that it typically takes up to 2 years to fully recover, according to Mom's surgeon. BTW, Mom did one then waited a year for the second. She could have pushed for both at once. Another BTW is that results varied some between her 2 surgeries. First one with zero complications other than longer recovery time compared to the second. The second had the complication of after-surgery infection, but overall less recovery time to where she was able to get around sooner.

Dave
lots-o-coffee
Dave

I'm not a doctor in real or fictional life. My posts include opinions based upon user experience regarding CPAP therapy and should not be considered medically professional direction or advice. Even a 1,000 mile trip requires a good first step. My recommended first steps include getting good walking shoes, 1 great cup of coffee, and a good GPS.

Wiki Info for Beginners
Sleepyhead Chart Organization
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dave. I was reading the thread below that herbm wrote. I wish I could bounce back as fast as he did. I'm a wimp when it comes to pain. The question that nags at me is if the pain during the recovery is going to be worse than what I have now. No way of knowing until it's too late.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-03-2018, 08:36 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Thanks Dave. I was reading the thread below that herbm wrote. I wish I could bounce back as fast as he did. I'm a wimp when it comes to pain. The question that nags at me is if the pain during the recovery is going to be worse than what I have now. No way of knowing until it's too late.

You're welcome. By observing Mom, she "traded" one type of pain for another. But the surgery pain does subside eventually where the old pain doesn't. FWIW I had a shoulder scope 18 months ago and it still hurts from surgery at times, but it is "better" than before surgery.

Throwing this out: if you're able to get this thing Mom had for the 2nd surgery get it. She was offered use of an "Ice Machine". It was a device for recovery that has a velcro pad that goes around the knee with ice water circulating inside it from a water tank/pump controller. It's expected use is to reduce pain and swelling. Best to ya.
Dave

I'm not a doctor in real or fictional life. My posts include opinions based upon user experience regarding CPAP therapy and should not be considered medically professional direction or advice. Even a 1,000 mile trip requires a good first step. My recommended first steps include getting good walking shoes, 1 great cup of coffee, and a good GPS.

Wiki Info for Beginners
Sleepyhead Chart Organization
Post Reply Post Reply
Losing weight and doing lots of upper arm and chest exercises for several months is a great way to get prepared for knee surgery. My BIL recovered from his knee surgery much faster than the doctor's other patients because he was fit already. He didn't have a choice - his knee had failed so surgery was the only option. His new knee is not the same as his old knee. He can no longer climb into the back of a pickup the way he once could. On the other hand, he can walk, which is something he couldn't do after his knee failure.

My sis's doc told her that her knee will need to be replaced in the next 5 years, so she's working hard at losing weight to make that process easier as well. It's tough, but she does have a specific goal.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Depending on where you're at, losing weight may be required before surgery will be approved.
My wife was told that she was tentatively approved, but needed to take off 50lbs.
They put her on a program to help with that, and she dropped 20 or 30, but then increased again.
If she ever hopes to have her knees done, she's likely going to need bariatric surgery.
She has a history of weight problems, compounded by pain killers from her spinal surgery killing her metabolism.
-- Rich
Download SleepyHead here
Organize SleepyHead Data
Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DIY Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor replacement surferdude2 12 1,283 10-27-2016, 02:15 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  On my 2nd iPhone 6 replacement in a year cate1898 4 921 12-20-2015, 08:16 PM
Last Post: ginzo
  HerbM Bilateral Total KNEE Replacement surgery Oct 21st, 2014 -- WOW! herbm 127 15,215 12-24-2014, 10:14 AM
Last Post: herbm

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.