Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Knee Replacement
(01-05-2018, 08:34 AM)CB91710 Wrote: Depending on where you're at, losing weight may be required before surgery will be approved.
My wife was told that she was tentatively approved, but needed to take off 50lbs.
They put her on a program to help with that, and she dropped 20 or 30, but then increased again.
If she ever hopes to have her knees done, she's likely going to need bariatric surgery.
She has a history of weight problems, compounded by pain killers from her spinal surgery killing her metabolism.

Without trying to hijack the thread, if you want info on bariatric surgery, I had it done. Mine was the bariatric sleeve BTW.

Now back to knee replacement, there might be a weight restriction and a supposed variance on that requirement. My mother didn't necessarily lose lots of weight before the surgeries.

Dave
lots-o-coffee
Dave

Even a 1,000 mile trip requires a first step. My recommended first steps are getting good shoes and 2 cups o coffee

Wiki Info for Beginners
Sleepyhead Chart Organization
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
I had a replacement 2016 November & it sure is better than it was before, in fact, it's helping support the other knee I don't want replaced.  My doc was very good, hospital great too.  But I don't really want to go through it again - have too many other issues.
There are good doctors & bad doctors.  I heard a fair amount of very negative info from some who struck a bad doctor.  Do your research.  I was frightened too, however, friends recommended their ortho doctor, so went there.  Piece of cake, but it does take quite a while for the pain to subside - 6 weeks.  I had a lot of trouble with my GP (2) extracting scripts for painkillers, & even, believe it or not, an antibiotic for a bladder infection.  An infection is huge issue after a replacement. 
I had to lose weight too.  Managed to get off what was necessary but put it all back on again - & then some more, as is usually the case.
Knee these days feels great, very rarely even a twinge - worth all the disruption, pain & disability compounded on multiple sclerosis issues.  
I do have some advice tho - learn to be calm - always keep calm, never stress yourself, don't get upset.  I've found things work out much better with being calm.  If you have mental health issues, deal with them prior.  If you have other day to day health issues, talk to your medical people about them & especially at the pre-exam appointment so they know what to expect & to help you with.  Toss embarrassment out the window!
Keep your skin healthy.  No scratches, bites, wounds they can interfere with the replacement.
I came out of anaesthetic with a 90deg. bend which is fairly rare.  I did my preparation knee exercises with care, & I did not need much physio, so was out of hospital & home in 4 days.  
To have this is a very personal choice.  Only you know how much pain you are in now & how much disability you suffer. Only you can know if you are prepared to spend the rest of your life like this & definitely getting worse !!   Chances are high that you'll recover & be much happier & healthier afterward 

I also took 4000mg vitamin C for 6 weeks prior to & after the op.  I stopped them 2 days before as Vit C may interfere with anaesthetic.  Vit C is a healing vitamin & I've taken it for almost all ops I've had over the years & it has been brilliant for me.  This is my experience.  I am not a medically trained person & cannot therefore recommend this to anyone. 

The doctors here in Oz lay down strict rules on what their patients must & must not do, both before & after the replacement.  It was worth the extra effort to comply because my knee feels great.
Good luck in whatever you decide, but mostly I hope your decision is the correct one for you.
Cheers
Amethyst in Oz
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine was done in March of 2017. BIG difference. I had a partial Knee done with robotics.

Full Knee replacement surgery is changing as I write this. The trend to to robotic surgery for "full Knee Replacement". This they take off about 1/4 inch off on the joints being replaced and put in a new metal end. The old method I'm not even going to mention here. BTW I was walking better the day of surgery.
New to Apnea? Helpful tips to ensure success
Mask Primer
Dealing with a DME
Download SleepyHead
Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That does remind me, if memory serves correct, Mom was made to begin moving around the same day as the surgery for both.

And as was mentioned above, do not allow any skin injuries to the area near the knee prior to surgery. Mom's first one was delayed a month because of a scratch on the shin.

Best wishes it goes well whenever it's slated.
Dave

Even a 1,000 mile trip requires a first step. My recommended first steps are getting good shoes and 2 cups o coffee

Wiki Info for Beginners
Sleepyhead Chart Organization
Post Reply Post Reply
Just some more anecdotes to add to the general confusion..

My BIL who is a fit healthy man had a hip replacement done with no complications, minimal pain and rapid recovery. He then had a knee done (same surgeon) and suffered a year of pain and complications. He would not have had the knee done if he had known how it would turn out.

My SIL is - shall we say - a big lady and had her knee done with immediate positive results.

I don't think there is any foolproof way of knowing beforehand how things will turn out but you can improve your chances by researching the success rate of the surgeon, losing weight, getting as fit as possible and doing all the pre- and post-operative exercises and physiotherapy.

As an aside I'm six weeks out from a trapeziectomy and so far the cure is much worse than the disease. Here's hoping it improves more rapidly once I get the pin out tomorrow. My surgeon has no bedside manner at all, but as the nurse said "So long as he can cut and sew nothing else matters".
DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
The more I'm losing weight the less I want to do a knee replacement. I can hobble around without a cane in the house and outside with a cane. I can ride an exercise bike without problem. There's still pain but I think as more weight comes off it won't hurt as bad. The more I'm reading about it the less I want to do it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2018, 08:21 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: The more I'm losing weight the less I want to do a knee replacement.  I can hobble around without a cane in the house and outside with a cane. I can ride an exercise bike without problem. There's still pain but I think as more weight comes off it won't hurt as bad. The more I'm reading about it the less I want to do it.

I'm a bit late to this party but wanted to say I am facing the same decision as you.  The very first thing to consider is that there is no such thing as minor surgery.  Minor surgery is surgery on someone else.   This will be major surgery with a long recovery time and an uncertain outcome.  While we hear a lot of the great outcomes (lets call this the numerator), we hear far less about the bad outcomes and thus the important consideration is the total knee replacement surgeries (the denominator).  If we knew this data we would then have a far better idea of the overall favorable outcomes.  A favorable outcome would be one where you are in less pain than before and/or more mobility.  There are of course all of the usual possible surgical and anesthesia complications such as infection and death. 

Age and medical advancements are two other considerations.  I have been told that a knee replacement may last around 20 years.  So if you live to 80 and are younger than 60 it is possible you might need a second one.  Waiting until you can outlive one replacement sounds good to me.  The other reason to wait is that medical technology gets better and better. Robotics was mentioned in a earlier post.  Better and more advanced parts is also a factor.  I have heard that currently there is not the same range of motion in the new knees versus your normal knee.

I have tri-compartmental osteoarthritis in my my R knee.  I am qualified to have a total knee replacement.  Yet, I can still walk with some pain and limp if overused, ride a recumbent exercise bike, hike a little (downhill is tough), and sleep without pain.  It is annoying as I used to be a very fit basketball and soccer player.  All of these things considered I have elected at this time to hold off on the surgery for as long as I can.  

All the best.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board 
Robysue's Beginner's Guide to Sleepyhead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes it’s worth it!  I had mine 2 years ago.  The first few months were a bit rough for me, but slowly I regained my mobility and strength.  Some people heal faster than I did, but I can now say YES. My quality of life is back to normal and I can walk pain free.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had total knee replacement about 3 years ago. I would do it again. Sure I can't do as much athletically as I would like. I am 61 years old and am on my feet all day on concrete floors. I can still play some tennis, bowling and discgolf. No more basketball, jumping or running all out. One HUGE word of caution. DO your exercises and stretches religiously. The more you do the less pain and more flexibility you will have later. Just stay within the limits they give you for you workout weights and flexibility. You can over do it and cause damage. The one thing that bothers me the most is if I sleep too long in one position and my leg stiffens up and it is hard to bend it because of the pain. One I start moving it I am ok. Research your Surgeon and ask lots of friends on recommendations. The ultimate decision to do it is yours and you need to feel totally confident in your decision and Dr. I wished I had done mine much sooner in hindsight. Even at the risk on not doing the running I always did. Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DIY Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor replacement surferdude2 12 1,197 10-27-2016, 02:15 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  On my 2nd iPhone 6 replacement in a year cate1898 4 854 12-20-2015, 08:16 PM
Last Post: ginzo
  HerbM Bilateral Total KNEE Replacement surgery Oct 21st, 2014 -- WOW! herbm 127 14,924 12-24-2014, 10:14 AM
Last Post: herbm