Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Knowing now what I do-What would a Sleep Doctor have done?
Knowing now what I do-What would a Sleep Doctor have done?
Knowing now, what I do, which isn't much where myself is concerned but enough to understand how the auto machines work, this leads me to wonder.............

IF I had stayed using the S9 Escape and had continued seeing my Sleep Doctor, what exactly would have taken place with him?

Since he prescribed for me that my machine should be on 10......but it doesn't record anything, what exactly would have taken place at doctors appointments?

If i had one in saying yes, I felt fine and was able to show him vis a vis the SD card, that i was complying with the right amount of sleep, and since he is unable to tell by the SD cards on the Escape whether i am having apnea events but seeing as he does not know which ones they are, what kind of help takes place with a doctor?

I am curious for i assume not everyone here has done in all on their own?
Some here must have gone through the doctor using a S9 or S8 Escape and somehow found adequate treatment???

So I am just curious as to how their "treatment" would move forward?

TIA
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Knowing now what I do-What would a Sleep Doctor have done?
For many years, I had the S7 Lightweight, a brick. When I first started, since I had CPAP induced central events, we started out at 8. 3 months later, at my first visit with the doc, he had me take the machine to the DME to have them raise it to 10. No data to back it up. No data to check on how I was doing.

It was on 10 for many years until my blood pressure went insanely high. I was already on medication for it. Long story short, after many tests, it was narrowed down to my sleep apnea. After a single night with an oximeter, my sleep doc (it was the first time I had seen him all those years, was never told I needed to) raised the pressure to 12. Again, no data before nor after. My blood pressure went down to better limits within a few weeks and my GP and I brought it the rest of the way with medication changes.

I now have my APAP and I love it. I look at my data and can keep track of it as well as I do all my other health issues. Last year when I started having heart problems, I was able to immediately determine the sleep apnea was not to blame this time. That ruled out a lot of time and effort. My GP and I were pleased to be able to do that and to move on to other possible causes quickly.

When I saw my sleep doc back with the blood pressure bit, he said I was to be coming in every year. I didn't go back. Because I just kept thinking "Why?" If I had been going to him all that time, what magic would he have used to determine my pressure needed raising prior to my blood pressure rising? And since I was to only see him once a year, it would have been missed anyway. So, really, without data to back them up, I don't see a use for me going to mine. If at some point my GP and I feel I need another sleep study, I will go to someone else.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I guess I'm lucky in that my sleep doc is my GP. He prescribed me an auto bipap machine (I'm not even sure he prescribes non data capable machines). I haven't seen him since he gave me a mask prescription but if I was having issues, I'd feel comfortable going back and asking him about them.

Treatment without the data...who knows? I guess try fiddling with the pressure at random until it improves, or go back for an expensive sleep study. It sounds stupid even as I type it out.

Post Reply Post Reply
Very interesting. I manage my own blood pressure meds for a similar reason.

I see my pressure every day, the Doc sees in only during an occasional office visit.

If it is acting up (or down), then I can see it many times per days.

My blood pressure is well treated but I must also watch out for LOW pressure when I work out.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2014, 07:44 PM)ShelaghDB Wrote: If i had one in saying yes, I felt fine and was able to show him vis a vis the SD card, that i was complying with the right amount of sleep, and since he is unable to tell by the SD cards on the Escape whether i am having apnea events but seeing as he does not know which ones they are, what kind of help takes place with a doctor?

If you report that you feel fine, and the data shows you're compliant, then the doctor would simply make a note in your file that the therapy is effective and charge you for the visit.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The more interesting question is:

What would the doctor have done if you showed him the card so he knew you were compliant, but your answer to "How do you feel?" was "I still feel lousy."??
Post Reply Post Reply
I have to admit I am a bit stunned by the answers, as funny as the last one or two were.

Therefore, now curious about the oximeter

Do most of you, that being the regulars here, have one and do even the ones that don't have one consider them a must to be added to the arsenal?
I am only curious. I don't plan to buy one yet for myself until i am set up at the right spot, unless i am made to understand that it is more important and i should get one sooner than later

After reading this through, at the bottom of the page it showed a similar thread, "How often you follow-up with sleep doctor/professional?"

So I read that through as well and a few answers were repeated from my question but generally I learned that even though he couldn't possibly do much for me having given me a S9 Escape for insurance purposes I need to see them likely once a year although I am only guessing at the amount of times right now.
But i can see if I wish to remain having my insurance pay for it all outright, that I will have to check in with a sleep doctor every year or so, in my case, I have absolutely no faith in the one i used so I am going to use another clinic completely to remain on the system, able to get masks, etc paid for but I can't see any purpose for the doctor otherwise.

I meant that, the above, for everyone, not just myself----there just doesn't seem to be any point in going to them

Thanks again........sad but amusing answers Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:What would the doctor have done if you showed him the card so he knew you were compliant, but your answer to "How do you feel?" was "I still feel lousy."??

If the doctor I used had a sense of humour, it might have been worth throwing that at him, truthfully...LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-08-2014, 01:03 AM)robysue Wrote: What would the doctor have done if you showed him the card so he knew you were compliant, but your answer to "How do you feel?" was "I still feel lousy."??

If it's a doctor who prescribed your machine, and he or she didn't insist on a data-capable machine, then it would be an opportunity to educate that doctor on the benefits of having the data available.

The doctor who prescribed my machine (my ENT surgeon who I'd been seeing for almost 20 years) didn't specify a data-capable machine even though the DME gave me one as a choice. And he was happy to report to me that the data showed the "machine is working".

I just don't get it!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-08-2014, 06:00 AM)ShelaghDB Wrote: Therefore, now curious about the oximeter

Do most of you, that being the regulars here, have one and do even the ones that don't have one consider them a must to be added to the arsenal?
I am only curious. I don't plan to buy one yet for myself until i am set up at the right spot, unless i am made to understand that it is more important and i should get one sooner than later

I've got one, more for curiosity than anything else, since you can pick up a cms50d+ (the plus is important) from amazon for 50$ (less elsewhere if you shop around), it's a fairly cheap way to satisfy your curiosity, and make sure that cpap therapy is doing what it needs to do, essentially, making sure you keep your o2 levels up.

stick it on your finger, set it to record mode, then download the data into the windows app the next morning.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,718 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 164 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 523 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Doctor switched my wife over to an ASV machine, it has doubled her AHI MaybeTowelie 18 933 12-21-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Most Informtive Metrics To Send To Doctor BlueSky1958 3 330 12-17-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.