Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

LINUX and SH with FlashPAP.jar
RE: LINUX and SleepyHead with FlashPAP.jar
that's a funny coincidence. my daughter gave me her laptop w dead hard drive; my plan (slow to get around to) has been to pick up a new drive and experiment w linux on it. main obstacle for me has been understanding the variants and why one would pick one over another. have you found a good book to recommend?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2019, 11:56 AM)sheepless Wrote: that's a funny coincidence.  my daughter gave me her laptop w dead hard drive; my plan (slow to get around to) has been to pick up a new drive and experiment w linux on it.  main obstacle for me has been understanding the variants and why one would pick one over another.  have you found a good book to recommend?

Small world!  I replaced the HDD with a new SSD in this one..
Search: Best Linux distros of 2019

Check your PM for a Manual download
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello all,
Just to put my 2 cents in, I don't use a computer much at home, my home computer did die a year ago and I have been putting one together, slowly as I find parts on sale, was about to purchase an OS (Windows 10) but i started looking into Linux as an alternative. I am pretty sure Microsoft will sooner or later make Windows a subscription "service" like it has done with Office. I like having a computer but do not want to pay for an OS then need to eventually pay a subscription fee for it.
I am about to put my new machine together (in a week or so) and will need to decide on an OS. Any advice on what is simple to learn and may be compatible with the new OSCAR software when it comes out would be helpful.
Thanks in advance!
"Right wrongs nobody" 
Mountain Charlie McKiernan 
Post Reply Post Reply
While there are many fine Linux distros available, I would recommend looking at the group that has a Ubuntu underpinning.  There is plenty of documentation, programs, and a choice of graphic front-ends available.  One distro, elementary OS, even resembles a Windows display.

If you really want to be confused, try going to https://distrowatch.com/ . This site is a Linux/BSD clearing house with information about all the various distributions available.  

Good luck and welcome to Linux.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(SOLVED) LINUX and SleepyHead with FlashPAP.jar
With ELATION, The problem has been solved.  Thanks 

Here is a forum thread link with video link in it from a very helpful gentleman who helped me limp through the FlashPAP dilemma.  Hope it helps others with the same mind-blockage from a Microsoft pilots point of view..
Suggest you read it through before starting to 'try' things-
HOW IT IS DONE
Post Reply Post Reply
On Tuesday, April 16, 2019, Ubuntu/Linux Mint issued 3 Java updates. One of these updates will deny execution access to the FlashPAP.jar file. If you read this after the update, I hope you have Timeshift, the system snapshot program, activated.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2019, 09:59 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: On Tuesday, April 16, 2019, Ubuntu/Linux Mint issued 3 Java updates.  One of these updates will deny execution access to the FlashPAP.jar file.  If you read this after the update, I hope you have Timeshift, the system snapshot program, activated.

What is being blocked? Aren't there a way to update the code to work?
Post Reply Post Reply
It produces an error message stating, :"Access to .jar file denied". This occurs even while in root. I'm wondering if Java is trying to invoke a "jar" file certificate security.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
I also use Linux Mint 19/Cinnamon and can confirm that Flashpap no longer works even with Oracle Java installed. Is there a fix yet?
Post Reply Post Reply
I found that Oracle Java won't work.  I have to use openjdk. Here is the contents of my bash script file.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

cd /home/cn/FlashPAP

DISPLAY=:0 xterm -e /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8.0-openjdk-amd64/bin/java -jar FlashPAP.jar user=cn exit=yes

EDIT: On April 16, 2019 3 updates for java were issued.  I found that the openjfx update broke the FlashPAP operation.

I hope this will help.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a solution to read out the newer versions of the Contect CMS50F under Linux? Mast04 10 809 03-25-2024, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Pierelly
  OSCAR v1.5.2 - Linux Versions Crimson Nape 3 129 03-17-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  What version of Linux for my Chromebook? bluetangle127 1 433 10-26-2023, 10:54 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  FlashPAP - FlashAir WiFi SD card utility TiredToo 296 94,937 10-05-2023, 06:54 AM
Last Post: olddog27
  F12/Take Screenshot Not Saving Screenshot under Linux? DigitalMan43 4 668 09-30-2023, 05:04 PM
Last Post: DigitalMan43
  o2 insight pro on linux Jim Vader 10 1,391 08-16-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: data01
  OSCAR for Ubuntu Linux "blocked and dangerous" edgreenberg 3 738 07-17-2023, 06:27 AM
Last Post: edgreenberg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.