Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

LOW SpO2!
LOW SpO2!
Hi folks. 'Been a while. 

Short version: An increase in pressure didn't stop my O2 level from going into the lower 80s. What's up with that? I may be put on supplemental O2, but I need to know what's causing it. 

Ideas?? Solutions??
To all, to each, a fair good-night,
And pleasing dreams, and slumbers light.
       Scott—Marmion. L’Envoy. To the Reader.

Diagnosed with OSA in 2014
AHI=18
Lowest SpO2: 79%
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: LOW SpO2!
We'd need more data to know how to help. Below 89% SpO2 for more than 5 minutes will be the cutoff for supplemental oxygen. Even with more info, we'd probably not be about to determine why, unless it's seen on OSCAR that for example, Apnea aren't yet treated.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2021, 08:22 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: "...unless it's seen on OSCAR that for example, Apnea aren't yet treated."

I don't quite understand that last part. 

Until several months ago, my events were always under 5, then they jumped to 8-9. Along with that, I was extremely exhausted all day every day--even to the point of taking time off to sleep for a few hours (and this is what drove me to the doctor).

I have been wearing a Wellue O2 monitor every night for a couple months, as my PCP suggested the fatigue was due to a decrease in SpO2. That did uncover the <85 dips, but the exhaustion dissipated even before I saw the pulmonologist and had my CPAP pressure increased.

I'm baffled.
To all, to each, a fair good-night,
And pleasing dreams, and slumbers light.
       Scott—Marmion. L’Envoy. To the Reader.

Diagnosed with OSA in 2014
AHI=18
Lowest SpO2: 79%
Post Reply Post Reply
About the only way members here can help determine why your oxygen levels are down is if there's some reason, such as not treated Apnea.

Since you say AHI is typically below 5, then it's apparent Apnea is treated.

Have you been tested for various lung conditions like COPD? This would require a PFT-pulmonary function test, to grade your breathing. I myself have these at least yearly for my COPD.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe you can import your SPO2 data into OSCAR to see if the dips are occurring at the same time as apnea. If so then adjusting settings may improve both AHI and SPO2 levels.

Increasing pressure alone might not have helped for a number of reasons. They could be central apnea, they could be positional apnea, without OSCAR data just guessing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes correct, a pulse oximeter can help by recording and uploading data into OSCAR.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2021, 06:13 AM)Lambsydoats Wrote: Hi Since you say AHI is typically below 5, then it's apparent Apnea is treated.

It's no longer below 5. I have not been tested; I have no symptoms.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have an OSCAR image that we can look at then? If the AHI isn't controlled, then that may be why.

Also, what pulse oximeter are you using? If it's one of the supported Contecs or Viatom/Wellue devices, you can upload the pulse oximeter data into OSCAR as well for us to see. Otherwise, post a screenshot of your overnight oxygen levels so we can compare it with the OSCAR details.

If you are getting desats even with regular breathing, then there's something else going on. However, it's also possible to have alterations to your breathing that don't meet the classification for either an apnea or hypopnea but are still affecting your oxygen levels. We won't know without looking if we can help.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have an iWatch 6 that tracks Oxygen level throughout the night. A graph along with the sleep stages is available through an iPhone app call Autosleep. It is very effective and informative.

About a week ago I woke up suddenly and gasped for breath. The next morning I check the tracked O2 level. At the point where I woke up the oxygen level had dropped suddenly to 90%. I must have kinked the APAP hose at that point.
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
How often does that app measure your SpO2? My understanding is that most smartwatch type products don't tend to sample very frequently. It would probably be beneficial to look at your OSCAR data to see what happened because I'd imagine apnea might be more likely than a hose kink. That said, if that's something you want to explore, go ahead and create a thread so we can go through it without derailing Lambsydoats' thread. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  should I raise my CPAP pressure if 3AM spo2 is loow RichardW 13 322 04-16-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: RichardW
Question [Equipment] How does the CSV extract from Wellue SpO2 ring look like? Ayush Shrivastava 2 152 04-05-2024, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Ayush Shrivastava
  Going it alone-help me with my settings and SpO2 desats Papgirl 4 255 03-31-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  SPO2 still falling with CPAP freedom yayy 12 536 03-07-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: freedom yayy
  Help on analysing SpO2 drops a21900 9 890 03-02-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Per Laursen
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 755 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 273 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.