Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Favorite tricks to reduce apnea WITHOUT CPAP/BIPAP etc
Favorite tricks to reduce apnea WITHOUT CPAP/BIPAP etc
What are your own most effective strategies to reduce apnea events if you don't have any machine to assist you? I have read all the general advice I found on the Internet, and that may cover it all, but I wonder what you found personally most effective.

I have severe OSA and I may have to wait up 3 months before we start/resume treatment for reasons I don't need to go into here.

I'm not looking for medical advice. I just need some tips and encouragement to deal with my apnea on my own.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Favorite tricks to reduce apnea WITHOUT CPAP/BIPAP etc
Doing things alone, this leaves out surgery obviously. You may need to sleep in a recliner where you're not reclined all the way. I've tried it in the past myself. Keep your chin from touching your chest by tucking a corner of your pillow between chin and chest. Other than that I'm not certain with severe Apnea being on the radar.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The only thing I have tried is forced positioning by keeping me from sleeping in any other position than on my side. It is not as effective as xPAP therapy. I have heard of some people sewing hard foreign objects into sleeping garments to prevent sleeping on one's back or stomach -- but this seems counterintuitive to me as I would think that it would induce unwanted arousals to disrupt sleep patterns.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave mentioned tucking a corner of your pillow between your chin and chest to prevent tucking your chin to your chest which comprises your airway. Since that may be hard to keep in place a soft cervical collar may be a better choice. See the link below. I don't know to what degree it will reduce your apnea but we have found it to be very effective for people including me who experience positional apnea that CPAP pressure will not resolve.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I do have allergies so this may be specific to me but what I have found helpful

- a shower before bed (esp. in allergy season seems to help)

- I also take allegra when my symptoms are bad

- neti pot/saline nasal rinse an hour before bed

- and this is something I have noticed (even absent the above), half or one cbd gummy, no thc, seems to help my sleep and generally less ahi. 

Note I use my cpap 99% of the time, i went backpacking a couple of days and took allegra and cbd those days and it helped. Rest of data is when i do above and look at ahi vs. not doing it. 

Again would encourage use of cpap every night, and ever nap. and use anything else to supplement not replace cpap. 

Thanks

Shri
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2021, 06:45 PM)anobono Wrote: What are your own most effective strategies to reduce apnea events if you don't have any machine to assist you? I have read all the general advice I found on the Internet, and that may cover it all, but I wonder what you found personally most effective.

I have severe OSA and I may have to wait up 3 months before we start/resume treatment for reasons I don't need to go into here.

I'm not looking for medical advice. I just need some tips and encouragement to deal with my apnea on my own.

I  used an appliance that moved my lower jaw forward.. but also had a band across the back of the appliance that held my tongue down. moving the lower jaw forward was very uncomfortable for me.. but holding the tongue down was very helpful.. it was helpful until I got the cpap machine.
Resmed Airsense 11/Resmed N20 memory foam mask,cervical collar, MyAir software, OSCAR for data analysis
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Optimal Settings on iBreeze BiPAP to reduce FL ewriter 2 45 Yesterday, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 44 1,326 04-17-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 124 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 228 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 635 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 770 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 374 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.