Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ladies, anything for mask marks?
Ladies, anything for mask marks?
Hopefully I'm not "off topic" in here, but has anyone here figured out how to fix (or at least partially fix! Whatever!!) those dents in the face after taking off the mask in the morning? I'm not a person who is overly concerned with how I look, but there are times when I'd rather not scare the children!  Bigwink   

I use an F30 and love it; it's comfortable and I have it just tight enough to eliminate leaks, but at 75 and a tad underweight my collagen is not in the greatest shape. I've tried mask liners, but they don't help the dents and they leak too easily. 

I sure could use some tricks to minimize these things in the morning. With the holidays coming up, I'd rather not greet visiting family with a corrugated face!  Thinking-about

Cheers, all!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ladies, anything for mask marks?
I'm with you, but I'm 80, collagen is non-existent and I sleep in one position all night.  My F20 AirTouch has to be worn tight, and I have a pretty good mark on my right lower jaw in the morning.  Luckily I'm retired and don't have to worry about how I look for the first few hours.
Post Reply Post Reply
I ain't no lady, nor have I ever been accused of being one. That having been said, I currently use an F30 and I like it. I keep mine snug and don't get any marks on my face from the mask. 

I did get some marks when I first started CPAP, but after a good week or so, they went away and no problems from then on. 

Thin boned / framed I'm not. And, I'm not even sure I have collagen. Do guys have it?  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
Been using Bleep Sleep Solutions (no-mask) for about 4 weeks. No strap marks among other good things. I’m 69 years old.

Fisher & Paykel will be coming out soon with a full-face Evora that looks like a game changer for FFM users. The nasal cushion Evora leaves no face marks from straps and doesn’t need to be worn as tight.
Post Reply Post Reply
An easy, inexpensive fix is to make strap covers out of very soft fleece fabric, ideally something that has a little stretch to it, and sew - by hand is fine - a tube to slip over your straps.  Nothing fancy. Just cut a rectangle, fold lengthwise with the wrong side out, sew the long seam, trim so there's not much excess "hem",  and then turn so the cut edges are on the inside, fuzzy side outside.  Cut to the length you want - no need to sew the ends.  

If your straps aren't removable on one end to slide them on, just sew  them over the strap. (And cut them off if they get soiled or whatever.)   Has worked great for me and also adds a little friendly cozyness (and color of your choice!) to your mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everybody for the replies, this forum is the greatest! 

I wish wish wish I could use the Bleep mask -- I've tried it twice, but I'm a very stubborn mouth breather (even with a cervical collar to keep it closed!) and get much better sleep with the F30. Mouth taping caused other problems, so that's out too.

Plakky, thanks for the detailed reply but the straps aren't the problem -- it's the cushion part of the mask that's making the dents on either side of my nose. I probably should try loosening it up a bit more, but that has always resulted in leaks.

It sounds from some of the posts in the "related threads" list under my post (which didn't show up when I did a search on "mask mark"!!) that it's possible they may go away with more time. I don't know how that would work, but I'll take it if it happens!
Post Reply Post Reply
I still have plenty of collagen, but I notice that alcohol use makes the dents last longer. On days I don't drink alcohol, there are less pronounced dents the next day.

When I do want to look undented earlier in the day, I use a different mask (ie: P10). It's vain, but sometimes these things are important.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2021, 01:15 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: When I do want to look undented earlier in the day, I use a different mask (ie: P10).  It's vain, but sometimes these things are important.

Yes, these things are important. I don’t want to go into client meetings looking puffy and bruised. When I used a FFM from Day One I looked like I was on the losing end of the boxing match which why I stick with Bleep or the F&P Evora or Brevida for occasional naps. Four ladies at the fitness club I go to thought I was ill until I explained it was the CPAP mask (during a pandemic nobody wants to “look ill”).
Post Reply Post Reply
Just checked out the Evora on the F & P site--but it is a nasal mask. I need FFM--hard to find one for a scrawny female!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2021, 02:00 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: Just checked out the Evora on the F & P site--but it is a nasal mask.  I need FFM--hard to find one for a scrawny female!!

The Evora FFM has not been released yet. Saw a couple of videos on YouTube announcing it was coming. I can imagine it being very comfortable for those who use a FFM if it is anything like the Evora nasal cushion.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [CPAP] AirFit P10 clip leaving marks deputypork 2 501 02-16-2023, 12:22 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,207 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  White stains/marks after cleaning LetMezz 4 1,301 05-01-2022, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,747 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Mask leaving face marks jmmdh1 6 871 10-03-2021, 08:13 AM
Last Post: jmmdh1
  Mask Marks Ponydriver 5 838 06-17-2021, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.