Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ladies, anything for mask marks?
RE: Ladies, anything for mask marks?
I'm a big fan of the padding to minimize marks from straps.  (I don't use an FFM so I have no insights on that.)    There are a lot of great DIY ideas on the board and some very nice products that you can purchase.

In addition, I would suggest a couple of cosmetic counter things that have given me some limited help.  (BTW, I have aging skin so I understand about the loss of collagen!)   

If you have indentations in your sking, try one of the products made for "emergency hydration" of skin.    They are the kind of thing that's often used by people after a night of serious partying.  Not exactly our cases with apnea treatment, but.....   Anyhow, I've tried a couple of samples of that kind of thing and they do seem to lessen the creases caused by straps.    Your local Sephora store or the cosmetics counters at a big department store might be able to steer you to something that works with your skin.   You can also look for products with ceramides and hyaluronic acid:  they work fast.  Basically, you're trying to get water into cells so that everything will plump up again.  Pressing a warm wet cloth against the face can also be helpful.

If the problem is more because there's swelling along the places where a tight strap has pressed into the skin, I would suggest using something like what is used to bring down the undereye swelling caused by allergies.  There are lots of products aimed at this market, as those undereye bags are really unattractive.  Kiehl's makes one that's full of caffeine and does quite a decent job of tightening things up. 

For a truly desperate ritual, plump up the strap tracks and chill out the swelling along the side of the tracks.

None of this will do miracles but it can speed recovery up so that you are more presentable when you have to face the world.   

This is where a world of face masks can be a real help! Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2021, 10:04 PM)Albigensian Wrote: This is where a world of face masks can be a real help! Dielaughing

Rotating through masks does help, too!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the clarification!  One thing I don't like about F & P is that the connecting tube is permanently fixed to the cushion--I much prefer the ones that click off and on like Resmed.
Post Reply Post Reply
There's wonderful information here!
There was a vendor that sold fleece wrap-arounds for your straps. they fastened with velcro. Forget the name....

here's a link to a review for Pad A Cheek pads

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...strap-pads
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2021, 10:04 PM)Albigensian Wrote: This is where a world of face masks can be a real help! Dielaughing

Thanks so much for all those great suggestions! I think hydration is the real problem, I do tend to be somewhat dehydrated. The warm washcloth was something that occurred briefly, but for sure -- now I'll definitely try it!

If all else fails, I'll just keep the paper surgical mask on!!   Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2021, 01:15 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: I still have plenty of collagen, but I notice that alcohol use makes the dents last longer. On days I don't drink alcohol, there are less pronounced dents the next day.

When I do want to look undented earlier in the day, I use a different mask (ie: P10).  It's vain, but sometimes these things are important.

Good powers of observation!  That's because alcohol is dehydrating, and dehydrated skin dents more easily.   Hint:  one 8 oz glass of water for every dose of alcohol!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-27-2021, 12:06 PM)Albigensian Wrote: Good powers of observation!  That's because alcohol is dehydrating, and dehydrated skin dents more easily.   Hint:  one 8 oz glass of water for every dose of alcohol!

Doesn't really apply in my case, I don't drink alcohol. But I often don't remember to drink enough water!
Post Reply Post Reply
I would love the name of the Kiels product you are Talking about.  I found one for men
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
Didn't notice this thread first time around. Wonder if the OP found a solution.
I would second the idea of new mask if it's more than 6 months old. I've pushed them out to a year, but I notice at about that 6 months point, my F30 needs to be cranked down a little tighter. The soft plastic gets tired, and cranking down the straps to make up for it doesnt help the skin.
Also, what about a good moisturizer on the masked area just before masking up for the night. Softened-up skin might be able to tolerate a slightly less tight mask ?
Post Reply Post Reply
I sleep on one side all night long and the strap of my p30i is between my bed pillow and cheek all that time. I was waking with a huge indentation across my cheek.

What has worked for me is to apply a warm wet washcloth against my face for about 30 seconds. Then, since I don’t currently wear makeup and because I have to thoroughly and gently clean my eyelids, I use baby shampoo to clean my face and rinse. I apply hyaluronic acid gel (Neutragena is the brand I use) immediately after, without even drying my skin. After that has a minute to be absorbed I apply a layer of a cream moisturizer that, due to my age, has retinol in it.

In the morning, I use the warm washcloth and baby shampoo again followed by more hyaluronic acid gel and a lighter moisturizer. By the time I leave my bedroom I have no marks left.

I think applying the warm washcloth and the hyaluronic acid gel are the key parts of my routine. The washcloth’s heat and moisture open pores and start rehydrating my skin and the gel attracts and retains moisture throughout the night and day. Moisturizer mostly helps to seal moisturizer in.

ymmv
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,526 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [CPAP] AirFit P10 clip leaving marks deputypork 2 505 02-16-2023, 12:22 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,215 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  White stains/marks after cleaning LetMezz 4 1,302 05-01-2022, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,757 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Mask leaving face marks jmmdh1 6 873 10-03-2021, 08:13 AM
Last Post: jmmdh1
  Mask Marks Ponydriver 5 841 06-17-2021, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.