Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ladies preferences in headgear
Ladies preferences in headgear
Hi,
My wife is finally going to switch from an oral appliance to CPAP and has asked me what kind of a mask she should get. She has indicated that she does not like my headgear because of the straps that go across the top of the head. Her concern is she doesn't want "hat hair" in the morning. Her pressures will be on the low side, perhaps 4-8 and the machine will be a PRS 560 with heated humidifier. She has not yet developed a preference between nasal mask and pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ladies preferences in headgear
The ResMed AirFit P10 nasal pillow mask is quite popular with men and women both, but in the end, she is the one who will have to decide. Most online suppliers will allow you a 30 trial.
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2015, 02:56 PM)on the virge Wrote: Hi,
My wife is finally going to switch from an oral appliance to CPAP and has asked me what kind of a mask she should get. She has indicated that she does not like my headgear because of the straps that go across the top of the head. Her concern is she doesn't want "hat hair" in the morning. Her pressures will be on the low side, perhaps 4-8 and the machine will be a PRS 560 with heated humidifier. She has not yet developed a preference between nasal mask and pillows.

I have the same one that you have and don't have hat hair. The straps aren't supposed to be that tight, I don't think Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
There's these things called "Bella loops" that work with, I think, several different masks. I can't remember which ones. They hook over the ears vs fit over the head.

Hosehead hair is going to be a given, sadly. The fit of the mask is more important.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't worry too much about "hat hair," I figure I can always fix that as I get up and around in the morning.
I like the P10 because there isn't much headgear to be a problem for me.
I hope your wife does well with CPAP therapy and that she likes her new machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I also have liked the P10. No hat hair. The straps are so minimal and lightweight.
I was more interested in whether it would leave marks on my face. My first two masks (Nuance and Swift FX) left marks that stayed for hours. The P10 leaves marks only once in a while.
E25
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm also a lady with hat hair concerns. Smile I use the P10, which does the least damage of those with actual headgear. I wear a headband during the day, so the slight mark across the top is easily hidden. The other strap goes under my hair, so no problem with a mark. The lack of hair-eating velcro is another major plus. Depends on your wife's hairstyle if it would work for her.

The Bella Loops option for the Swift FX pillows could work, but I could never get them to stop leaking like crazy with the slightest movement (hose dragging on the pillows).

Your wife might really like the TAP PAP mask, especially if she's already used to an oral appliance. I loved it in theory, no headgear at all, but it put too much pressure on my teeth , so I could never get past my paranoia that it might pull one of my crowns off some day. It takes some doing to get the mouth piece molded just right, but it's definitely one to look at. That's the one I really wish worked for me (they need to make it lighter with a double mouth piece, dangit!)
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2015, 01:33 AM)hootietoot Wrote: Your wife might really like the TAP PAP mask, especially if she's already used to an oral appliance. I loved it in theory, no headgear at all, it's definitely one to look at.

Thank you all for your comments. She decided to give the TAP PAP her first try because it is quite minimalist and she is used to sleeping with the oral appliance.

We will post after receiving the equipment (10 days) and giving it a chance, so, probably a month from now.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2015, 04:15 PM)on the virge Wrote: We will post after receiving the equipment and giving it a chance

The TAP PAP has worked very well. She has tried the Swift FX with Bella Loops but not using the headgear. They were OK and will serve well for an alternate/backup. Main focus now is getting the pressures squared away; so best approach is settle on TAP PAP which works well. Later on she will experiment further with pillows and nasal masks but to do so now would simply invite confusion.

Thanks again for your advice. She is adapting well and her numbers are acceptable (<5) but there is progress yet to be made.
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad things are working out!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Brevida mask with Evora headgear BeauPetitNez 8 1,659 01-13-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: BeauPetitNez
Question [Equipment] Is the headgear on AirFit N20 the same as AirFit F20? James87 4 441 01-12-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: labrat
  P10 Headgear paulag1955 2 354 12-14-2023, 07:29 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  F&P Solo Headgear Columbiabill 1 474 12-09-2023, 01:25 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  [Equipment] Resmed N30i/P30i headgear sleeve issues Himrent 1 423 11-23-2023, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  Adaptor to fix a Evora headgear on a Brevida mask BeauPetitNez 3 1,010 03-02-2023, 05:26 PM
Last Post: Nickman111
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,556 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.