Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Large Leak Night
Large Leak Night
Hi everyone! I was wondering if you have a large leak with a full face mask, is it okay to just look at the flow pattern and make sure there aren't any apneas? I ask, because last night I was using a full face mask and I thought everything was okay, but got a frowny face on Resmed. Here's my chart. I zoomed in on the large leaks and the regular flow pattern was still there. But I wonder if I can trust it. I've tried the resmed airfit f20, the f30, and the amara view. And they all pretty much leak like crazy. Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you and have a nice day.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Large Leak Night
No, you can’t trust the machine to do the job it needs to do with a high leak rate. It could miss many apnea events, thus making your AHI number inaccurate.

Try to determine why and where your mask is leaking and adjust accordingly.

Have you tried other masks or read the mask primer?
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Large Leak Night
The three I listed plus the Air Quattro are the only full face masks that I've tried. I tried nasal pillows, and they never leaked, but I always woke up feeling very tired despite low AHI numbers. When I found out about the nasal cycles, I realized that when my turbinates swell, they completely cut off all air from the nostril. My normal pressure of 7.6 isn't enough to open it up, lol. I had to crank it to 20 before it would open. I don't know if that's why I felt tired after using the nasal pillows. I've always done very shallow breathing with them with an average tidal volume of 380 mL. Anyways, so that's why I tried to go back to the full face mask. And yeah, I did read the mask primer guide.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Headgear for very large heads NogginOff 1 41 7 hours ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 40 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 243 03-27-2024, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,414 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 145 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 155 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 499 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.