Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Large Leak Question
Large Leak Question
I have been on CPAP since 2004. I have notice several Large Leaks lately. My machine is a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. My settings are 17-19 cmH20 I use a Wisp mask XL with a chin strap and run mask fit and everything is fine. When I wake up I have seen large leaks, however my AHI has been low. October 1st my LL rate was 50% and my AHI was 0.88 for a time frame of 10:16 hours. On October 2nd my LL rate was 36.22% and my AHI was 0.11 in a time frame of 9:26 hours.  The only difference was on the 2nd I put tape on my mouth.  I can't hear or feel any leaks. Since I am new to this forum I can not post images of my data. Any idea since the AHI rate is low should I be worried about the Large Leaks?
Huh
Dale Ferguson
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Large Leak Question
Very new to the forum and SleepyHead myself, but from what I have learned is that large leaks can mask events. So while the AHI looks great it is probably higher than what is being shown. I have been dealing with this myself.

For the links, paste the link and put a space in it h ttp://......
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are the images h ttps://im gur.com/TBmDPCg
and h ttps://im gur.com/RYtRsbe
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are your links.

https://imgur.com/TBmDPCg

https://imgur.com/RYtRsbe
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is a lot of leak!  It does return to baseline, so it appears to be real, and we can see the flow rate is diminished in the large leak sections.  This amount of leak needs to be investigated and resolved. Dale the wisp is a nasal interface mask and this looks like mouth leaks.  It may not be mouth breathing, but the air pressure is bypassing to your mouth.  You fully control it at times, but the large leaks are excessive.

[Image: TBmDPCg.jpg]

[Image: RYtRsbe.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
No question, your leaks NEED to be fixed.

Read the Mask Primer, especially about mouth breathing and leaks.

While your leaks are larger than modt (similar to what mine were) they are common.

Stay in touch.

Fred

PS don't put a space in imgur, only in htt p
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I tried an AirFit F20 to see if that would help. I started at 7:30pm I would get a seal and then as I changed my facial expression the mask would leak. I tried to tighten but that didn't help. I finally got to sleep and woke around 11:30pm and went back to my Wisp nasal mask. As you can see in my image the leak rate went up to 120. After I switched the leak rate went down to 63. I can't seem to get it lower. 

ht tps://imgur.com/5QV8667
Post Reply Post Reply
Fixed link https://imgur.com/5QV8667
Post Reply Post Reply
That's not going to do it.  You have excellent control, except when you don't  

[Image: 5QV8667.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night 10/05/2017 My LL was 42 however my API was 0.3.  I was using my Wisp and a chin strap.  But as you have said when I am asleep is when the leaks are happening. When I am awake everything fits and feels fine. I have ordered more tape so I can try that again, but I think as long as my AHI is low my sleep should be ok.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 2 42 3 hours ago
Last Post: emile.leplattenier
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 2 59 9 hours ago
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 2 54 Yesterday, 12:27 PM
Last Post: FriedRice
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 467 Yesterday, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 85 Yesterday, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 121 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 114 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.