Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Large Leak Question
Large Leak Question
Hello,

I have realized that I get large leaks from my mouth and the only way to correct the situation is with the use of a chin strap and mouth tape. I am attaching a sleep sample without chinstrap and mouth tape and one with.  
The sample with the chinstrap and mouth tape shows a 0.00% for Large Leak on the colored side bars but in the Large Leak graph shows a bunch of green graphs of leaks.  Can someone explain why it is 0.00% yet shows a leaks in the graph?

Sample 1: 
Without chinstrap and mouth tape
Large Leak 3.21%

Sample 2
With chinstrap and mouth tape
Large Leak 0.00%

Thanks for any help and clarification!
David
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Large Leak Question
Look at the number that the side of the chart for large leaks.   One (dose not show large leak) high is 21 the other one the high is in the 45.  The size of the leaks are much different the scale is changed so it fills the graph.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Ahhh I see. Well, I guess I have to keep using a chinstrap and mouth tape. Ha. 

You use a full face mask? Do you do that because you’re a mouth breather?
Post Reply Post Reply
I do use a full face mask because of mouth breathing. But I have been training myself to keep my tongue on the roof of my mouth (some people call it the “tongue suck” method.

I have actually gotten to the point last month to just use a nasal cannula and it has been doing ver well.

Any time I thought about it sitting reading a book or watching TV I would keep my tongue on the roof of my mouth. It took about 3 months before I tried it at night. Took another month to be able to do it all night.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting. I am going to research that method and give it a try! 
At least in the meantime, I know the chinstrap and mouth tape is working for me but it would be nice if I could eliminate them. Thank you for sharing the knowledge and your experience.
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep using the chinstrap and tape for now if it's working for you.

In the meantime, practicing this method will pay off in the long run. You'll need some patience. Practice during the day, and eventually you will notice that your tongue stays at the roof of your mouth naturally.

Tongue Suck Technique:
Place your tongue to the roof of your mouth with tip of tongue behind front teeth.  (NOT PUSHING ON TEETH).
Gently suck upwards and back.
This places the tongue in a natural position, with the back of tongue sealing the back of the throat so that if your mouth/jaw drops open while sleeping, no air will escape.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 28 3 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 235 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,408 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  flow rate and leak rate question sleepingbetterinFl 0 89 03-21-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 141 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 150 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 496 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.