Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Large Leaks - Please Explain My Oscar Leak Data Attached
Large Leaks - Please Explain My Oscar Leak Data Attached
I have recently been experimenting with a new nasal mask, trying to move away from a full face mask if possible. I thought the nasal mask was a good fit. However, I am seeing large leaks on the Oscar charts for the nasal mask. I am not feeling the leaks during the night, and they did not wake me. The attached Oscar data shows continuing leak rates with noticeable cresting of leaks on the graph. The summary information shows "Large Leak 8.4%."  The event tab shows 16 large leak events. By comparison, my Oscar reports for my full face mask on all previous nights shows virtually no leaking at all. 

Since my AHI was not terrible on the new nasal mask, and I am not feeling these leaks, are these leak numbers acceptable, or not? Would one of the pros explain what these leak numbers mean to my therapy success. I am trying to gauge the effectiveness of the new nasal mask, but at face value, my conclusion would be that it is not working for me as is, and that it probably requires a chin strap (which I do not choose to do) or more support from a cervical collar (which I am already using to no avail).  Am I correct in that I should not continue to accept these leak numbers and need to change something? Or should I ignore what appear to be high leak numbers and keep using the nasal mask?  Since I am not inclined to use a chin strap or tape, I may just resign myself to return to the full facial mask, if these nasal mask leaks are compromising my therapy. Please provide an interpretation of the leak numbers, and your thoughts on whether, or not,  I should accept this extent of leakage.  Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Large Leaks - Please Explain My Oscar Leak Data Attached
You have a combination of mask leaks (peaks) and mouth breathing (tables).

Read the Mask Primer section on Mouth Breathing.

Mask leaks - these can be poor fit (wrong mask), too tight, or not tight enough. the mask primer has a section on mask adjustments.
Post Reply Post Reply
Any leak compromises therapy, when it gets up to a “large leak” your machine can not deliver enough pressure to stop apnea. We all try to have 0 leaks but that is all but impossible. Try to cut them back as much as possible. I have a Ffm and a pillows - changing between them on how I FEEL. if I am overly tired the FFM come ou for several nights
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Gideon and StaceyBurke. Will take note of your comments.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 232 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 102 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 278 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 63 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Need help with OSCAR data Abhi 5 399 03-26-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 226 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.