Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Large Leaks, air coming out of connection to the head piece Normal?
Large Leaks, air coming out of connection to the head piece Normal?
All of a sudden I have large leaks and I am trying to figure out where they are coming from. I turned on the machine and heard and felt a lot of air escaping from the connection at where the climate hose meets the top of where the tube goes into the head gear. Is that normal? I put the mask on and it's sealing just fine under my nose. I am using the Dreamwear with the tube connection at the top of the head.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Large Leaks, air coming out of connection to the head piece Normal?
Yes, those are exhaust vents at the top where the mask connects. That’s not a leak.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2019, 10:34 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Yes, those are exhaust vents at the top where the mask connects.  That’s not a leak.

I just did an experiment to see if this mask is leaking around my nose and it is not, the seal is fine. I tried laying down, I tried moving all over the place and the seal did not break, I feel the air coming out of the hose and in the vent, so what is happening? I tired putting in the data card to see if it would register the short time and it did not write anything to the card.   Doesn't the card write short times? How long would I have to do this experiment to see what the results of all this would be?  Thanks so much
Post Reply Post Reply
As OpalRose stated, the vent swivel connector at the top of the mask frame has vents. There are also two vents in the nasal pillows interface. All are there to partially vent the breathing circuit to prevent a buildup of C02. All masks have vents.

What's your definition of a "large leak?"
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is the screen shot. How long do I have to keep the machine on to register on the data card? I tried doing it for about 5 minutes but nothing showed up on the SD card. I am trying to see if I can track down this leak before tonight.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Your experiment isn’t going to be accurate because your not really asleep.

Look at the flow rate graph.  There are many flat tops which indicate mouth breathing.
Also, there are several sharp peaks (straight lines going upward) which indicate your mask is moving, not sealed well, or simply getting pushed around at night from movement from you.

You have a combo of mouth breathing and mask movement.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2019, 11:25 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Your experiment isn’t going to be accurate because your not really asleep.  

Look at the flow rate graph.  There are many flat tops which indicate mouth breathing.
Also, there are several sharp peaks (straight lines going upward) which indicate your mask is moving, not sealed well, or simply getting pushed around at night from movement from you.

You have a combo of mouth breathing and mask movement.

Thank you. I will tape my mouth again, hopefully that will help. I don't think I can make the mask tighter, it's pretty tight now. Wow, all of this is brand new.   I have not ever had a leak issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m assuming you don’t have your DreamStation any longer. But if you do, you could try to switch back to that machine to rule out any possible issues with your S9.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2019, 11:37 AM)OpalRose Wrote: I’m assuming you don’t have your DreamStation any longer.  But if you do, you could try to switch back to that machine to rule out any possible issues with your S9.

I was thinking of doing that as well, I still have it.  The Dream Station was the wrong machine, the wrong settings, the DME delivered the wrong one to me, so I am using my old S9.  Will it be ok to use the Dream Station with the old settings of 5-15? My doctor wants me on a steady 8.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just for experimenting for a day or two, set the DreamStation to 8 or 8.5 straight pressure. Leave Flex off.
Keep same Mask.

Just curious if you would see the same leak rate.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 211 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 418 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 140 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 154 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 497 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.