Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Large Leaks and Clear Airways are High
Large Leaks and Clear Airways are High
First time posting, so please bear with me here.

I'm trying to get my AHI down even further, preferably around 1. I've been using APAP since early March - but FFM since mid-April. My main problems now tend to be LL and Clear Airway events. After reading through other posts, I'm planning on loosening my straps tonight - I tightened them hoping to reduce leaks, however they increased last night. This morning after my first wake-up alarm and during my "snooze" period I experienced a very long period of Large Leak, so I'm discounting that portion as a fluke or Hose pulling, but still plan to loosen my FFM tonight. If I could just get my CA down, I think it would be a dramatic improvement. I only turned off EPR a couple of nights ago, as a trial/error thing. I think I need to turn it back on to 1 or 2. Can anybody give me further insight? Do I need higher pressure? lower pressure? Etc. any help would be greatly appreciated! Attaching screenshots from OSCAR.

Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Large Leaks and Clear Airways are High
Welcome to ApneaBoard Snidder87.  Leaks are a problem.  What type of FFM do you use?  Everything else looks ok IMO.  Keep an eye on your CA's.  They could be treatment emergent (go away after a few weeks, etc.) or they could be permanent.  If you are still having a lot of CA's in a couple of weeks, repost and OSCAR again here.  

You are correct in that lowering EPR usually lowers CA's.  The reason is that people ventilate better with a higher EPR (difference between Epap and Ipap).  The downside is that it can washout more CO2 from your system and cause more CA's - the amount of CO2 in your bloodstream (chemoreceptors) is the main driver to breathe.  Go slow.  Take your time.  Record any changes and post here again with OSCAR.

Here is a link for mask help:  Mask Primer
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Large Leaks and Clear Airways are High
@Snidder87

Like Jay51 said leaks are a big problem and degrade therapy efficacy, the leaks can also wash out co2 causing more CAs than you might have with a good seal. Its a good idea to try to balance that EPR and keep some in the formula. EPR is the primary way to manage Flow Limits. Low Flow Limits = Better sleep.

Keep at it, keep us posted.

I'm betting if you get those leak rates down all your numbers will improve!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel WORSE after getting Leaks under control - hopeless HarleyGirl63 10 241 5 hours ago
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Question [Pressure] Intermittent leaks on my AirCurve 10 Daniel5584 2 67 Yesterday, 11:31 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Lots of Large Leak Lately LazerStallion 0 76 04-24-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 8 388 04-22-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: joeblough
  Low OA/H. Still high CA. How to lower them? jakeroviks 1 109 04-21-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Good cervical collar for large (20 inch) necks Fox66 2 81 04-21-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Fox66
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 405 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.