Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Large Leaks and other issues
Large Leaks and other issues
Hi Forum,

I need some assistance and advice.
I have recently moved countries (USA to Canada) so I am "in between" health care providers at the moment so I can't just go to the local sleep clinic and ask for help.
I have just reached 1 year of treatment and overall it has gone great.
Recently I have been battling with large leaks that I can't seem to sort out on my own. For the first 7-8 months of therapy I had only minor leak issues. Now everyday my ResMed gives me a red frowny face.
Based on the leak profiles it seems like mostly mouth breathing but I'm not sure why that would start happening all of a sudden and then continue consistently.
I will attach some SH graphs from the past few days and would appreciate any feedback.
What I also notice is that some pressure responses happen at times when no events are indicated. What would cause this?

I have tried a new mask F20 Air Touch and I found this worse that my older F20 because the memory foam leaks into my eyes and the mask is narrow so it doesn't fit my nose right.
I just bought the CPAP pillow to see if it would provide a better position and less interference with the mask, no improvement yet.

I am open to any comments and suggestions and analysis of my charts.

Thanks 

[Image: 2sueOpZ.png]

[Image: pP9gdej.png]

[Image: rMMvCLB.png]

[Image: Atd2VdQ.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Large Leaks and other issues
I think the first thing I'd look at is if you have the right size mask. You might end up having to try another type mask. As far as the pressure increases that's because of the flow limitations. Pressure will rise for obstructive events, flow limitations and snores.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the quick response.
Regarding the flow limitations, if it is not an OE then what would be a cause of a flow limitation?
Post Reply Post Reply
Any obstruction that is below 50% obstructed and/or lasts less than 10 seconds. Resmed uses at or above 50% for hypopneas. Philips Respironics uses 40%.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
With P10 pillows anchor the hose to your PJs or pillow. I find that the weight of the hose can cause large leaks.

Look at the manufactures video for fitting your mask. Most have real good hints.

Read the Mask Primer (link in my signature), many hints on leak management

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have been using the F20, or any full face mask, mouth breathing alone should not result in leaks. A possible source of leaks may be your jaw dropping and your mouth opening to the point that the bottom of the mask seal is compromised. That is an issue I have and it is solved by wearing a soft cervical collar. I am a mouth breather and use the F20. With the collar I rarely have leaks. Without it I have serious leaks. The collar also prevents chin tucking which can compromise your airway.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
You leaks don’t really look like mouth breathing far too spikey topped or consistent try a mask liner purchased or cut from an old Tee Shirt here is a template

DIY mask liner
Post Reply Post Reply
doickle,
If you like your Full Face Mask, then the suggestion for mask liners is good.  If your mask just doesn't fit, then you will have to try others.
Check out some of the Suppliers from the Supplier list above.  Many offer a 30 trial on masks, but you may have to pay postage to send back.  

Looking at your graphs, it appears you have a combination of mask leaking and mouth breathing.  Unless you get your leaks under control, the AHI reading could be suspect, as your machine will have a difficult time flagging apnea events.  

Good luck.  For now, finding the correct mask is the most important aspect of your therapy.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
are you using the mask fit function on the machine that blows higher pressure, while you adjust the mask?
well done on your pressure range and AHI numbers, it's working well.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the F20 and it has been outstanding in the leak prevention mode (non-foam model).  What I have noticed is that I was given the 'standard' head gear and it tends to pull the mask upwards on my head (large head) and I have to tighten even more to prevent air from blowing into my eyes.  I am going to try a larger head gear and see if that works, if your head is large, perhaps you too need a larger head gear.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 49 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 9 184 03-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Luka07
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 280 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 149 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.