Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Large Leaks with New Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset for Her--have questions
Large Leaks with New Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset for Her--have questions
After 5 years using a PR 560 I made the switch to the ResMed machine.  I really like it, except for a difference on OSCAR reports.  In 5 years I didn't have one Large Leak (LL) detected with the old machine, and now my LL are terrible.  The average leak figure is much higher than before.  I get smiley faces on my mask fit which doesn't surprise me, but have trouble with mouth leaks.  Leaks are bad when I try to go to sleep so I should be able to control them.  Taping would blow out my ears on the big chipmunk cheeks ones.   They don't seem to be more frequent with the ResMed machine--just register in a different way.  Is this something to be expected?  At what volume is a LL registered--I don't really understand this number.  Thanks for any help!  I do use a cervical collar.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Large Leaks with New Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset for Her--have questions
I believe Resmed is the only MFG that has a line drawn in the sand so to speak and it's 24 liters air per minute it becomes a serious leak.
I had a argument with a ignorant person on another forum that another person who was seeking help who was using a Respironics Dream station machine that he had a large leak and man this person became persistent that I did not know what I was talking about. I used a Respironics Remstar M auto with Flex A for years before going to Resmed and what I did not like about the Respironics they had a proprietary card reader that only certain people could read  and my mask leaked but would not let you know and it was one of the reasons I switched to Resmed Airsense 10/autoset. Respironics is so vague on their interpretation on a large leak followed with a time period it becomes silly almost to the user IMO.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your experience, Canuck 2. Would like to hear more. How worried should I be with ResMed statistics--or just forget about what Respironics was telling me?
Post Reply Post Reply
Never used any Respironics gear, so this is not from personal experience.  I seem to remember reading here that the PR machines report "Total" Leak, where the Resmed machines report "Unintentional" Leak.  This means the Leak statistics aren't very comparable.  Also, it is important using the Resmed units to have the Mask Type set correctly, as this is important for the machine to measure the Unintentional leak.  If anyone has different info, please correct me.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
You need to look at events - do they correlate with the leaks? If they don’t they are not that important but if the events happen when you have a larger leak it is. Also compare them to you flow limits graph same thing applies
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 29 523 36 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  [Equipment] Headgear for very large heads NogginOff 1 52 10 hours ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,869 Yesterday, 11:41 AM
Last Post: her.suit
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 163 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 290 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 125 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 245 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.