Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleeping in Recliner
Sleeping in Recliner
Has anyone tried sleeping in a recliner to improve their sleep apnea or teeth grinding issue? I assumed my teeth grinding was caused by the apnea but so far with CPAP usage I am grinding even more.

I'm dealing with some nasty jaw pain and I'm losing hope. I'm not sure if its common to develop bruxism or increased bruxism from sleep apnea and/or CPAP usage. I was really hoping I would stop grinding when I used the CPAP. I'm not sure if sleeping in a recliner will help my apnea and bruxism issue both.

The messed up thing is at the 2 nights I spent at sleep study they said I wasn't grinding. 2 dentists said I wasn't grinding. Then finally a 3rd dentist said I was. I'm not sure what to believe but I know my jaw pain is real and with so many other tests they haven't found anything else.

I just thought maybe sleeping in a recliner would help both conditions. I'm going to try it tonight and see what happens with the CPAP also.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleeping in Recliner
After reading through your previous thread, it is not clear whether you were grinding you teeth before you started CPAP.

You seem to indicate that CPAP is causing your teeth grinding. I don't recall reading anywhere that CPAP can cause teeth grinding.

Your dentist should be able to help you with this issue.

Question? Have you tried a chin strap, which was suggested by Paula02 in your previous thread?
Or have you tried the tongue to roof of mouth to control mouth breathing which was also described to you in previous thread?

Now to your question in this thread, sleeping in a recliner may help with Apnea because you would be elevated. Whether it would help with teeth grinding, I don't know. Your dentist should be able to help you, and it is something you need to get taken care of if it is causing you pain.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was grinding before and now i'm grinding even more it seems after starting the CPAP. Unless the CPAP is just irritating my already strained muscles in jaw. I wish it was a simple as my dentist would be able to help me because I have seen 3 dentists, tried 3 different mouth guards and still having no luck. The mouth guard just protects your teeth but doesn't stop you from grinding. I need to find the cause of my grinding which I assumed was sleep apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, now I'm going to apologize for my ignorance on the subject of bruxism
(grinding of teeth) which I googled and was surprised to read several articles that suggest it is linked to sleep apnea amoung other lifestyle choices like drinking and smoking. Also linked to anxiety, depression and stress.

You can google and find many good articles. If you feel your dentist is of no help, try your sleep doctor. I'm sure they have run into this prior.

Good luck to you. Hope you can find relief from this.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
apnea caused me to grind my teeth. good cpap usage has considerably improved that issue - but if I am uncomfortable, I can revert to grinding. discomfort, pain, other stress all tend to exacerbate the grinding.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I am definitely not comfortable yet with machine so maybe in time it will improve the more comfortable I get.
Post Reply Post Reply
Being comfortable enough to sleep in a recliner depends a lot on how much flesh you have on your bones, especially in the butt area, where most of the weight will be concentrated. We lean folks usually have trouble whereas those who are more "gravity challenged" find it to be comfortable. There is plenty of evidence to indicate that your sleep apna will improve if you elevate your upper body.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2015, 02:52 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: ...those who are more "gravity challenged" find it to be comfortable.

I consider the right term to be "mass advantaged", or "circumference enhanced".

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
bigbearclaw85: I also have had an issue with teeth grinding for many years. Dentist has made oral appliances for me which I confess I was not too compliant with as they caused discomfort and actually cut into the skin covering the bones inside of the lower teeth (can't remember what the dentist called that bone which apparently can grow as we age).

I'm 3 weeks into CPAP therapy and find that for some unknown reason, I am experiencing some tenseness in the jaw that I can't seem to consciously talk myself into relaxing. I am not aware, nor have I ever been, of myself grinding my teeth at night - but I do. I wonder if you are experiencing the same jaw tension I am??

I notice it mentioned in a post above that it is linked not only to sleep apnea, but also to stress and anxiety, so I guess I know why I've been doing it. Stress is one of the reasons I chose to take early retirement. So I have definitely greatly lessened, if not eliminated most of my stress by not working in what was a high stress job.

Good luck with figuring this all out! Sounds like you are at least giving it 'the old college try'!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll throw in a "portly short".

That how the high end men's store describe you when you go in to buy a suit!

Good luck with the recliner, I know many who do it even without sleep apnea.

(10-02-2015, 06:34 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 02:52 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: ...those who are more "gravity challenged" find it to be comfortable.

I consider the right term to be "mass advantaged", or "circumference enhanced".

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 172 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 635 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 1,093 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 998 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 287 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 322 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 501 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.