Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Large Leaks
RE: Large Leaks
I'm just starting to understand how lucky I am.

I still have a LOT to read with regards to interpretation with Sleepy Head and ReScan. Before, I just woke up ignorant, now I have a goal to get "just a little bit" more. Kind of like a racer tuning an engine. I love to tinker, and this may give me that ability. I didn't realize how much is involved other than trusting the Dr/technician. By making small adjustments a little at a time, it might get better, OR it could get worse. But it would be easy enough to reverse and go in a new direction.

My frustration is the time it takes to learn, and my impatience. I'm happy, but now I want more......Dont-know

(08-21-2015, 03:57 PM)AlanE Wrote: If I had numbers that low and felt refreshed in the morning I'd be doing a happy dance.

Very simple answer..........because I am/was ignorant, and that was the way it was set up.

Another avenue to explore, easily reversible, and a GREAT observation. These are the kind of comments/suggestions I need to help me research/explore these avenues that are "in the dark" to just average users. I see I have tons to go. I also need to research how to interpret the waveforms as they are just squiggly lines at this point and I can't use them to help me hone in on better treatment. At this point, I can't even determine a pattern when or why I have the leaks. BTW, I do LOVE the chin strap, that WAS a giant step. Didn't believe I was mouth breathing as I never woke, but the numbers since I started wearing it speak for themselves.

You are more qualified than me, and your well intended suggestions are easily undone should they not work as intended. I already have a game plan for tonight, if things go well, or stay at least the same, tomorrow I will try Auto Set.Thanks

I hate that at this point I having nothing to contribute and am always "asking". Hopefully this will change soon.

Please continue the input, I thank you ALL!!!

(08-21-2015, 04:04 PM)MobileBasset Wrote: gonzo,
The following question is not meant to imply that you should change your settings in any way as your event numbers are very good and I am not qualified to recommend changes.

I notice you are using your autoset machine in CPAP mode at 14 cmH2O rather than autoset mode. Why is that?

I ask because higher pressures are more prone to leaks and the autoset mode might find a lower but still effective pressure.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2015, 05:27 PM)ginzo Wrote: I hate that at this point I having nothing to contribute and am always "asking". Hopefully this will change soon.

Don't worry too much about that. Some day you'll read another person's question and a light bulb will go off. "Hey I know that answer..."

Please keep asking the questions. It's what we live for. Big Grin
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the confidence, you caught me reading about different "apnea's" when my ding went off that I got a new e-mail just now. We must be somewhat close, I'm in SW FL. also.

The hard part is being patient as you have to wait until bedtime to try something, then wait until morning to see results, good or bad!

Since I started this a few weeks back, i have a hobby, and I'm a member of some forums. I'm totally here 100% and for now, the other forums are collecting dust!Big Grin

I thought we lived to sleep, or is it sleep to live?
Thinking-about
(08-21-2015, 06:55 PM)AlanE Wrote:
(08-21-2015, 05:27 PM)ginzo Wrote: I hate that at this point I having nothing to contribute and am always "asking". Hopefully this will change soon.

Don't worry too much about that. Some day you'll read another person's question and a light bulb will go off. "Hey I know that answer..."

Please keep asking the questions. It's what we live for. Big Grin

Post Reply Post Reply
Yup right next door to you, in "Wrinklewood".
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
Wow! You heard of Abbe's doughnuts? They are gonna open one by you soon. I'll drive down and buy you a coffee.

So........last night, not so good. Over all not bad. EPR set to 1 was definitely not for me. To much work for me to exhale. Apnea #'s, respiration issues, etc, were up in the 1st few minutes. The ramping of 5 minutes is no problem. So I set EPR to 2. The rest of the night was ok, but still caused issues with flow, breathing etc. Was well outside my "normal" graphing for the rest of the night, but not insane. Here is a shot of the EPR set to 1.

[img][Image: 20597744378_1890e0999a_c.jpg]screenshot-20150822 EPR-1 by Chuck Cangialosi, on Flickr[/img]

(08-22-2015, 06:24 AM)AlanE Wrote: Yup right next door to you, in "Wrinklewood".

Post Reply Post Reply
Check out this thread and a settings update you can do to SleeyHead to show events lasting less than 10 seconds. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...s-the-bomb

They don't count towards your AHI but you can see them on the graph.

I also did the modification that sgearhart mentioned.

Post Reply Post Reply
This is what it looks like with those options on:

[Image: screenshot-20150822-091553.png]

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the input, the chin strap is working out great. I still would like to get my leak #'s down some more. Am following your suggestions to find the "sweet spot".

Question, being a man, and not knowing much, I'll have to ask about Lanolin? Isn't that some kind of moisturizer, as in slippery? I'll try anything.

(08-16-2015, 08:35 AM)MobileBasset Wrote: Hi Chuck,
As you said, you have made some progress with the leaks and your second chart shows that. Have you determined where the leaks are originating from? I know you have been trying chins straps and you may not be as sensitive as I am because I awaken when air leaks from my mouth and I would notice it, especially if I was wearing a chin strap and the air had to force itself out around it. I don't suspect a hose leak because your recent data shows a median value of zero and I would expect a non-zero median with the hose leaking.

When I first used my chin strap I wore it very snug to make sure no leaks would escape and then loosened it a little at a time to find the best adjustment. This allowed me to rule out mouth leaks while I addressed the mask leaks that remained. Are you mastering the tongue placement against the roof of your mouth? Suck it gently against the roof and train it to stay there. That really helps.

I found that having a clean mask to face interface really made a difference with mask leaking. Since you are using pillows, that might include the fresh application of a little lanolin on the nostril interface.
That's all I got. Congratulations on the great AHI numbers.

As I have tried several things, the only set back was lowering my EPR to 1. Couldn't do it, changed it to 2, got better, but not as good as 3. Back to my best readings so far. I did reduce my ramp time from Auto to 5 minutes, which was where it was on my old machine with no problems.

TONIGHT IS AUTOSET NIGHT TRYOUT!!
If I have any issues, I can set it back during the night. It wanted 4-20cm, I just switched it to 5-20cm and left ramp at 5 minutes.

Just looked at my daughters SD card, she has a PR system one set to auto (or A-flex) and her #'s are insanely low. If I got there, I would be fully satisfied. I didn't even really know about hers, except she just back into it after not using it for a while. She will start again today.

(08-21-2015, 04:04 PM)MobileBasset Wrote: gonzo,
The following question is not meant to imply that you should change your settings in any way as your event numbers are very good and I am not qualified to recommend changes.

I notice you are using your autoset machine in CPAP mode at 14 cmH2O rather than autoset mode. Why is that?

I ask because higher pressures are more prone to leaks and the autoset mode might find a lower but still effective pressure.

Did it, now I have to study some more to see if I can find any relations as to what triggers them and try to reduce them. I tried RERA also, but I couldn't get it to show up.

(08-22-2015, 08:17 AM)AlanE Wrote: This is what it looks like with those options on:

[Image: screenshot-20150822-091553.png]

Post Reply Post Reply
Do you remember when you got your A10? I received my first one in March and it did not record RERA. The 2nd machine was mid July I believe and that one does record RERA. Others have said the machines made after April 2015 record RERA.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2015, 10:34 AM)ginzo Wrote: TONIGHT IS AUTOSET NIGHT TRYOUT!!
If I have any issues, I can set it back during the night. It wanted 4-20cm, I just switched it to 5-20cm and left ramp at 5 minutes.

The default ramp start pressure is 4. You can change the start ramp pressure but a 1cm ramp 4-5 is almost pointless. At pressure that low, you should go without ramp.

Also, seeing as your previous pressure was fixed at 14, you may find 5 won't give you enough.

Try it tonight to see what happens.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 278 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 225 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 132 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 147 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 496 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 157 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 150 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.