Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Large Leaks
RE: Large Leaks
I got you now, told you it flew right by, (like the house from the wizard of oz).

I know what you mean, been here since '84. I went to wally world yesterday to get distilled water for my machine........SHELVES EMPTY. Stopped in this morning after coffee at Abbe's got my 2 gallons.

Even my wife doesn't wig out any more. I looked at my generator Friday and thought about starting it, didn't make it. Bought it from a friend who left after Charley, (just coincidence). He ran it once, drained the gas changed the oil and I never started it yet. I'll bet the genset it ruined by now.

Oh well....NEXT storm please!

BTW, that's a funny picture.
Post Reply Post Reply
My generator needs an overhaul. I loaned it to someone on the east coast after the bunch of hurricanes they had and when I did finally get it back it was dripping oil. Haven't started it since. Really bad of me but I keep forgetting or putting it off and then forgetting.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello All,

I was "off the grid" so to speak as I am just finishing up my 2 weeks of testing with my S-10 on APAP. Didn't want to bore everyone with daily updates.

Here are my semi final findings:

1st week was with FX headgear/nasal pillow. Headgear outside of chinstrap.
Between this set up and APAP, numbers were more than acceptable. Did not do an average for the week but very satisfied.

I did develop a sore nose in my nasal septum on the inside about 5 days in. At 1st I thought it might be an ingrown hair, then the next night the other side did the same thing. I tried adjusting the mask/headgear but it always felt as if it was driving the pillow inside my nostrils.I then put the headgear/nasal pillow on 1st, then the chinstrap. By that time it was so sore, I couldn't tell if that helped. I picked up some "Burts Bees" Beeswax lip balm, as that was the only item I could find that seemed to be petroleum free. I didn't want to damage the pillow.

2nd week (just wrapping up) is with a P-10 headgear/nasal pillow. Headgear on 1st, then chinstrap. Numbers are about the same on average, maybe just a tick lower, but much more comfortable. The lip balm has sorted out the soreness. I'm still using it as a precaution until this week is over.

Next test period will be the same as this, minus the balm to see if there is any issue with septum and pillow. I am also going back to Palmolive or Dawn as a cleaner, as my wife switched us to Gain dish detergent. That will eliminate the cleaner being an issue as I know Dawn did not irritate my nose.

Overall, I think the P-10 wins/with chin strap. The FX can act as a backup when/if needed.

A few weeks of "normal" sleep, then I may just play to see how perfect I can get the numbers.

Again, Thanks to all who helped me along in this trial to get my LL's under control. I didn't think I could rest any better than I was, until you all helped me get it close to nil. I feel that much better during the day than I had been to make it worth the change.

I won't be away as long anymore, love checking in daily to learn as much as I can. I can't believe how much difference there is when you take "ownership" of your therapy.
ChuckBig Grin

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Chuck. Please keep us updated. At least it gives us something to read. :grin:

I use baby shampoo to clean the mask. It's not as harsh as some of the other stuff out there. I have not tried either Palmolive or Dawn so I can't comment on those.

Good luck with the P10. I broke down and ordered one. We'll see how well it works. With my nose getting clogged when I lay down, I will need to keep the Liberty on stand by.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
Took your advice and I just went with the baby shampoo, it's a proven, so why not go with it. I keep it hidden and I don't have to worry about walking to the sink on wash day and am out of the stuff I was using. I also got rid of the nose irritation since I went full time to the P-10. Keeping the "Bert's Bees" Beeswax lip balm on standby. Stuff works great.

Speaking of that, I seen a thread somewhere that you were going to give it a go (the P-10). I thought I subscribed but can't find it.

How goes it?

(09-10-2015, 07:12 PM)AlanE Wrote: Hey Chuck. Please keep us updated. At least it gives us something to read. :grin:

I use baby shampoo to clean the mask. It's not as harsh as some of the other stuff out there. I have not tried either Palmolive or Dawn so I can't comment on those.

Good luck with the P10. I broke down and ordered one. We'll see how well it works. With my nose getting clogged when I lay down, I will need to keep the Liberty on stand by.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have to say I really like the P10. I hate wearing the chin strap but I guess there are trade offs on everything we do. I tried a few nights without the strap and my mouth just started babbling like a brook. Smile
I'm getting much better results and I feel better during the day. I actually feel like exercising again. Going to buy a treadmill this Christmas. You would think since we live in the 'sunshine state' we would just go outside and walk for free but the heat and humidity would kill me quicker than amdro on a fire ant mound.

Post Reply Post Reply
It was odd using the chinstrap at 1st, now it's not an issue. I don't know which one you are using but here is an "updated" review to the one I'm using. I'm really enjoying the P-10 setup also.

I know what you are talking about, I lost 70 lbs and I just left the gym I was going to. Only gained 4 back since about 7 months ago. I know if I could force myself to get back on my bike, I could lose it again. To darn hot!! Maybe if I typed faster, I could burn more calories.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-Strap-III
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2015, 07:28 AM)ginzo Wrote: Maybe if I typed faster, I could burn more calories.

If that were true my nickname would be slim. Smile

I'm using a "Ruby-style" from Supplier #1. I wouldn't recommend it. It is a lot of strap to put around your head.

Post Reply Post Reply
Just a few comments and my experience. You seem to go to bed very early and get up very early, or perhaps you just turn the machine off and stay in bed. In either case, 6 hours with very low AHI is a very good therapy result. My large leaks used to look like yours. I eliminated them by taping my mouth closed. I still have a few brief leaks, but they must be mask leaks, because the tape usually stays in place all night. I don't tolerate chin straps very well, so the tape technique is the best one for me. My doc recommended it for me, but it isn't for everyone. Once the tape is in place for a few minutes, I can't feel it at all. It is a low-adhesive surgical tape, so it is very easy to remove with no residue or discomfort. I'm no longer awakened by my jaw opening and the air rushing out through my mouth. Works for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Jim,
Great reply, yes I do go to bed early/rise early. I'M OLD, that's what old people do!! LOL.
No really, I am older but I work 4-10's and start at 6:30 A.M.

I am very satisfied with my treatment, always have been. I started in 2007 with therapy diagnosed with Severe apnea. Treatment made a world of difference, only found out about LL's in July 2015 when I had to replace my machine and had to make my required Dr. Visit. Hadn't seen him since the day I left in 2007. Therapy worked so well, I didn't realize I had an issue. Found this place and started to try and reduce LL's, well with some great advice, it seems to be working. My Dr. even uses the tape method you do. Luckily, I have adapted to the chinstrap very well.

I just last night tweaked my pressure to see if I can rid myself of the small amount of apneas' I have been getting. (I'm anal), figured it can't hurt. Unless something drastic happens, I do things on a weekly to monthly trial. My pressures at between 9-14, with about a 10.3ish average pressure. I noticed my events happen around then, pressure goes to about 11ish and events subside.

So I changed my pressures to 10-14 thinking just a touch more may catch events before they start. I still will run these new pressures for at least a week, and then go from there.

The Dr. had me on CPAP @ 14. Only since I came here and took some sound advice did I decide to go APAP. Changed on 8/22/2015 and the improvement has been outstanding.

Here are last nights results. Seems to have helped, at least last night anyway!Big Grin

[Image: 21757345716_2a5ea2dd3e_c.jpg]

(09-27-2015, 08:36 PM)Jim Bronson Wrote: Just a few comments and my experience. You seem to go to bed very early and get up very early, or perhaps you just turn the machine off and stay in bed. In either case, 6 hours with very low AHI is a very good therapy result. My large leaks used to look like yours. I eliminated them by taping my mouth closed. I still have a few brief leaks, but they must be mask leaks, because the tape usually stays in place all night. I don't tolerate chin straps very well, so the tape technique is the best one for me. My doc recommended it for me, but it isn't for everyone. Once the tape is in place for a few minutes, I can't feel it at all. It is a low-adhesive surgical tape, so it is very easy to remove with no residue or discomfort. I'm no longer awakened by my jaw opening and the air rushing out through my mouth. Works for me.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 280 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 149 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 496 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 159 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 151 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.