Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Large flat screen tv's.
RE: Large flat screen tv's.
We bought our 47" Sony smart tv back when HH Gregg was at it's high point before it went bump and closed down. It's been several years but still excellent for us old folks watching tv, etc. I run the cable box into a Yamaha 5.1 surround sound amp which sends the signal to the TV and to my old school 4 Kenwood 777a speakers. The speakers are 45 yrs old and still going strong.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Sounds like they made electronics better 45 years ago.
Dave

OSCAR
Standard OSCAR Chart Order
Mask Primer
Dealing With A DME
Soft Cervical Collar Wiki
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
We're going back to Costco today to take another look. A Samsung 82" QLED tv is appealing to us. We are also considering a sound bar as well. One that has a dialogue speaker, among the other speakers. 

We also have to find a much wider stand to put it on. The feet on this 82" tv are at the ends of the tv, vs. in the middle. We do not plan on using a wall mount. 

In our are, Costco seems to have the best selections, as well as prices. Their 90-day no-hassle return policy is also very appealing. No other store can beat that. 

We also up-graded our account so that we now will receive an annual 2% cash back on all purchases. They have a credit card that will automatically extend the warranty period if you use it to make the purchase. I think the tv's warranty is 3 years, and if you use their credit card, it goes up to 5 years.
Post Reply Post Reply
Costco warranties are about the best you can get and far surpass Best Buy where extended warranties are pretty pricey. A good soundbar transforms the experience, and a 2:1 with subwoofer is a minimum, but the 5:1 can really give a theater experience. Subwoofers literally rock, and these can serve as audio streaming devices as well. I like wall mounts for larger TVs because consoles are so 20th century, but they do offer a place to put your outdated VCR tapes, DVDs and other stuff you won't use. If you plan to stream, the built in smart apps may seem tempting, but won't be as fast and convenient as a Roku Ultra 4K which is absolutely seamless in controlling TV, Apps and the Soundbar functions with a very efficient interface. If you get a chance, post up the vertical and horizontal dimensions of the 82" diagonal. I wonder if it will fit in my space.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
It's in the house, up and running. Good thing I had my adult step-son and his son on hand to help. I wouldn't have had a clue as to how to go about setting it all up. 

They made it look like it was no big deal. One of it's features, is an output audio delayed signal. What the Hell is that all about? We had to struggle to adjust it so that when a person was speaking, the sound was synchronized to match their lips. Why is that a feature at all? 

Anyways, it has a ton of features that we'll need to learn about. That's where my grand-son will come into play.  Wink

It's physical dimensions are 6' wide and 41" tall.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2020, 07:17 PM)Big Guy Wrote: It's in the house, up and running. Good thing I had my adult step-son and his son on hand to help. I wouldn't have had a clue as to how to go about setting it all up. 

They made it look like it was no big deal. One of it's features, is an output audio delayed signal. What the Hell is that all about? We had to struggle to adjust it so that when a person was speaking, the sound was synchronized to match their lips. Why is that a feature at all? 

Anyways, it has a ton of features that we'll need to learn about. That's where my grand-son will come into play.  Wink

Just make sure to have painkillers easily to hand. The type that work well for migraines.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2020, 07:17 PM)Big Guy Wrote: It's in the house, up and running. Good thing I had my adult step-son and his son on hand to help. I wouldn't have had a clue as to how to go about setting it all up. 

Mmmm maybe that's so you can experience out of sync Kung Fu movie sound on the newest Star Wars. OK it's probably not that. I think there's certain surround settings that delay the sound to certain outputs to sets of rear speakers to add to the immersive sound thing.
Dave

OSCAR
Standard OSCAR Chart Order
Mask Primer
Dealing With A DME
Soft Cervical Collar Wiki
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
The voice sync comes in handy when you start using a separate audio source like a soundbar or home theater amp. There can be delays that also vary depending on whether you stream from WiFi or Bluetooth, and I never have gotten Godzilla or old Bruce Lee films to sync. Enjoy the confusion, it gets better as you grow older.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wasn't even aware of it until my wife pointed it out. She notices things like that.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2020, 09:37 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The voice sync comes in handy when you start using a separate audio source like a soundbar or home theater amp.  There can be delays that also vary depending on whether you stream from WiFi or Bluetooth, and I never have gotten Godzilla or old Bruce Lee films to sync.  Enjoy the confusion, it gets better as you grow older.

I was told, many years ago, that "everything gets harder when you get older".

Not true, unfortunately. Angry
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Has anyone in a large metero area tried Uber? justMongo 10 1,489 02-12-2016, 04:52 PM
Last Post: justMongo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.