Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Large leaks
Large leaks
My main problem seems to be large leaks early in the morning, e. g. 5-7 a.m. Up until then I have acceptable leaks. I started using a chinstrap a few days ago , it helps with the leaks, but still get them early in the morning.Before the chinstrap, the leaks were all night, up to 25% over the leak redline,

Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Large leaks
Hi

Have you tried other masks? I found higher leaks while turning over in bed with the P10's. I had better stats with both Swift FX and even better with DreamWear.

How is your AHI?
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2015, 09:50 AM)cate1898 Wrote: Hi

Have you tried other masks? I found higher leaks while turning over in bed with the P10's. I had better stats with both Swift FX and even better with DreamWear.

How is your AHI?

I guess I can try other pillow masks, mu AHI is generally good, between 1-2
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2015, 09:47 AM)toekneeg Wrote: My main problem seems to be large leaks early in the morning, e. g. 5-7 a.m. Up until then I have acceptable leaks. I started using a chinstrap a few days ago , it helps with the leaks, but still get them early in the morning.Before the chinstrap, the leaks were all night, up to 25% over the leak redline,

Thanks

Leaks can also be due to the fact that you are mouth breathing, and if that is the case, you will have that issue no matter what mask you try.

So, the chin strap may be helpful. I know they are a pain to wear.Oh-jeez

If you think you are mouth breathing, you can also try placing your tongue to the roof of your mouth with tip of tongue behind front teeth. Suck upwards gently.
This allows the tongue to create a seal at the back of throat, and no air will escape.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi toekneeg,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therrapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
There are some full face masks that will never work for me due to leaks but there are a few that solve the problem. If your problem with full face masks was leakage, I would recommend that you try the F&P Simplus full face mask. There are 3 caveats that I have found for this mask. First, you need to get the right size mask but with the Simplus, the frame is the same and uses different cushions for the different sizes. Second, the mask needs to sit a little lower on your nose than others do. The top of the mask should be somewhat lower than the deepest part of the bridge of your nose. Third, after you don the mask and turn the CPAP on, lift the mask away from your face a little (let some air escape) to ensure that the seals are inflated then let the mask return to your face.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The tongue trick that OpalRose mentioned really does work. I must admit that I was skeptical at first, but I'm a believer now. I use a nasal mask, and I rarely have large leaks or dry mouth anymore.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 278 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 225 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 132 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 147 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 496 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 157 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 150 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.