Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Large leaks at a certain time
Large leaks at a certain time
Hi all,

I seem to be having a problem where at about 4:30-5am my mask experiences a large leak, this continues for a short while.

I've been looking for solutions for this, but haven't yet found one. One possible solution would be swapping to a different mask, though I'm reasonably happy with the nasal pillow dreamwear... 

Any thoughts?

(sleepyhead readout attached)

https://imgur.com/w738XCw
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Large leaks at a certain time
Are you shifting position or rolling to the other side?
I generally roll over about an hour or so before my alarm goes off, and on that side, my leakage is worse.
Also more deeply relaxing, allowing the chin to drop can change the seal of the mask, particularly a full-face and sometimes a nasal.

You could also be drifting into a deeper level of sleep and relaxing your jaw, resulting in a mouth leak.
Does dry-mouth seem to coincide with the leakage?
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hey, thanks for the reply

I can't really tell if i'm moving on the other side, as I'm asleep! I don't seem to wake up on the other side (I sleep on one side) 

I don't seem to have dry mouth at all, so that doesn't seem like it.

I could perhaps try a foam wedge to stop me turning?
Post Reply Post Reply
I generally see leaks increase when I move around a lot.  One thing I have seen others do is get specialized pillows to help position themselves and to reduce movement.  

I think most people use these pillows to prevent themselves from rolling onto their backs (as you generally see higher ahi on the back), but I don’t see any reason it couldn’t be used to reduce leaks caused by movement.
Post Reply Post Reply
This could be due to almost anything! At a certain point every night, for whatever reason, you might

-scratch your nose
-get dehydrated
-have a reaction to a pressure change
-swat the cat
-get active during a certain sleep phase
-throw off the covers because you're too hot....
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 206 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,431 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 282 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 229 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 137 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 152 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 496 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.