Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Large leaks with P10 pillows?
Large leaks with P10 pillows?
I have switched from a FFM (Quattro Air) to nasal pillows and love 'em, but there are some significant leaks.

Am I correct in assuming these are from mouth-breathing?

I asked the DME about a chin strap when I was there to be fitted with the pillows, and he said to wait and see if I even needed one. Some people train themselves to stop breathing through their mouths because the dryness when they wake up is so unpleasant.

Lamb
To all, to each, a fair good-night,
And pleasing dreams, and slumbers light.
       Scott—Marmion. L’Envoy. To the Reader.

Diagnosed with OSA in 2014
AHI=18
Lowest SpO2: 79%
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Large leaks with P10 pillows?
That is a definite possibility. By using a chinstrap your body starts to develop a muscle memory. After a few nights use you might be able to go without it for awhile. I keep chinstrap by the bed and if I awake because of dry mouth or blowing air, I just put it on.

I just looked at your chart and saw the leaks you're referencing. This could be from turning on your side. I've had my P10 leak this way when pushed against the pillow.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I relax, my jaw falls back and the natural tendency then is for my mouth to open. So I use a chinstrap. Once in awhile I try going without it, and I can for a day or so, then the mouth breathing problem returns. I would like it if I did not have to use a chinstrap, but I do, so that's a fine thing. I use the chinstrap under the mask and I think that helps the mask stay put when I go from side to back or back to side.

However, unlike people, not all chinstraps are created equal. I have tried a number of them and thanks to the advice of Jimzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz on this forum settled on a Carefusion Pro, TMS-11. This one is very minimalistic and just simply encourages my mouth to stay shut. Sort of like Mrs. R_G does during the day, but again, a bit more gently. The idea of the chinstrap is "gentle." If you apply it too forcefully, you can get really bad pain. So don't do that. Applied properly you can still open your mouth easily, drink water, talk, yell at the puppies, whatever you need to do. It's just that when you're not doing all that your jaw is encouraged to stay forward, your mouth shut, and in that position it becomes more natural for your tongue to establish a good block to your airway.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you look at the time stamp, from :30 to about 1:20, that flatish-top is a mouth leak. You can see others later on. But that big mountain climb starting at about 3:20 or so, that's where the mask shifted. The leak starts out little but then the air pushes the mask further away and gets bigger.

There's some decent chin straps out there you can try. Get one that is adjustable so you can set it to be comfortable vs lockjaw.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have tried a number of them and thanks to the advice of Jimzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz on this forum settled on a Carefusion Pro, TMS-11. This one is very minimalistic and just simply encourages my mouth to stay shut.

Where did you find this chin strap. I can't find anything on this model
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2015, 08:49 PM)Mischief Wrote: I have tried a number of them and thanks to the advice of Jimzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz on this forum settled on a Carefusion Pro, TMS-11. This one is very minimalistic and just simply encourages my mouth to stay shut.

Where did you find this chin strap. I can't find anything on this model

It's AKA "Puresom Ultra Chinstrap, mfg by Carefusion." Just check with our on-line suppliers or ask Mr. Google to find it for you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 280 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,757 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 149 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 496 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 159 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.