Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Large, long-lasting spikes in respiratory rate. Problem or not?
Large, long-lasting spikes in respiratory rate. Problem or not?
I have recently noticed that my respiratory rate spikes three to five times each night. Typically, my BPM is around 17-18, but for large chunks of each night it spikes to 45 or so in a very ragged fashion. At the same time, if I'm reading the chart correctly, my breathing becomes more shallow. I haven't been able to correlate these periods of high BPM to anything else such as large leaks or increases in pressure.

Is this just dreaming? Is this normal or something I should get checked out?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Large, long-lasting spikes in respiratory rate. Problem or not?
StevesSp, you have been with us for a long time, and I suspect that won't change based on these charts. I think if you zoom into these periods of increased respiration rate, you will see some very uneven flow rates that is fooling the machine algorithm into thinking one breath is two, three or even four, and that is in turn disrupting the volumes. I don't want to minimize your concerns, instead, it is my first assumption that this is just an irregularity in flow that is not significant to your health or therapy. Either way, you are going to have to zoom into these periods to really know.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Large, long-lasting spikes in respiratory rate. Problem or not?
Thanks for the advice. Will examine more closely as you suggest.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 6 60 13 minutes ago
Last Post: ahuman
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 240 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,570 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 858 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.